• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winebike

May 11, 2009
    Once you shoot 17HMR, you won't be happy shooting 22LR! The 17HMR is far more accurate and suitable for longer distances. Either CCI or Hornady Vmax 17HMR ammo works well. CCI makes Hornady's ammo if you didn't know. They both shoot the same in my experience. There is no comparison between shooting 17HMR and 22LR. LAXammo is a good place to buy 17HMR online.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I have a CZ452 with maybe 75 rounds through it from various .17HMR manufacturers. I really enjoy the rifle but man, I need a better scope so I can see the tiny little holes it makes at 100+ yards. I'm used to being able to see my holes and follow up accordingly. Honestly, the itty-bitty holes for target shooting is my only dislike about the rifle and I'm not in the mood to buy another good scope, or start swapping scopes around to satisfy my desire to see these tiny holes.

Very flat round, very low or non-existent recoil, can get a little squirrely in higher winds. Great practice round for larger calibers even though the cost can get close to the same per shot.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Dicks has savage bmag. The ruger 77/17 will be a harder find. I have only seen those two. And the Franklin armory AR-like semi auto. There was rumor of a Winchester, but seen nothing about it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The HM2 is an outstanding squirrel round. I don't want a huge scope on my CZ either so I use the Shoot n See targets also. Finding ammo is a problem.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    RGRamjet, I had a 597 in 17hmr and when Remlin issued the recall where they would give you $200 credit toward another Remlin gun, I told them to pack sand! After a while they offered to have my 597 re-barreled in .22 mag shipping both ways on their dime. That is what I did. Just an FYI.

Now have a Marlin XT-17VR and its a shooter!

Very Interesting!

They offered me the same $200 deal. I didn't take it. Didn't know they would re barrel. Calling Remington on Monday!

Thanks for the tip!

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Very Interesting!

They offered me the same $200 deal. I didn't take it. Didn't know they would re barrel. Calling Remington on Monday!

Thanks for the tip!

Did you get in touch with Remington? If so did the still offer the re barrel option? Just curious.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    After experiencing a ricochet off hard baked soil some years ago I re-lined a Marlin .22WMR to .17HMR. It's an awesome caliber for what it's for. Good for varmints. Not bad for fox/coon sized furbearers if hit right (small hole explosive inside) and NO ricochets! These little bullets at this velocity simply explode - completely - when they hit something hard. ...which is it's down-side. I've hit groundhogs where there was bone close to the skin and simply gotten baseball sized craters. Sometimes it's immediately fatal. Sometimes delayed. Do that to a fox and you ruined a hide.

On small game - squirrels particularly - I do not use it. For game animals it's strictly a headshot gun. Not that head shots aren't easily made, but I much prefer my 17M2's for squirrel hunting. Essentially the same capabilities out to 75, (maybe 100 if you can really shoot) without the devastation. The Mach2 still destroys a squirrel's head, but shot through the ribs there is NO meat loss. I'm not as hesitant using it where people live within a mile or so either. If the 17gr. bullet hits ANYTHING it self destructs and if it doesn't, it becomes nearly harmless after several hundred yards. Prudence and awareness of where you're shooting is ALWAYS foremost though!!!

The Mach2 was supposed to be introduced first, but ammo production issues delayed it and the HMR hit the stores first. Many feel that if the "17 short" had gotten the initial exposure, it would have been more popular than the HRM due to it's game friendly characteristics. It would certainly more be popular than it is. There have been rumors about the Mach2 being discontinued almost from it's start. I think it probably will be eventually. That's a shame. It's an awesome cartridge in it's own right. That so many HMR's were already flooding the RF market by the time it arrived was it's only real shortcoming. :shocking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom