• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Any recommendations? I have a budget of $400...

I like the looks of a stainless steel fluted barrel slim handguard... Flat top rail MLOK

Looking for budget options. I might not be against building my own if it's a ton cheaper and really worth it.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Having built quite a few AR 15’s and AR 10’s If you want a complete upper. It appears to me that if you are not to picky a complete upper is the way to go. However you will not be getting a high end barrel for $400. This does not mean it will not shoot, I,be had $139.00 barrels that shoot lights out but 1 to 1 1/2 moa. Is pretty common. Then again it you want a little more personal touch you can build a decent one upper for $350 to $400 if you shop around. Just depends on whether you want to tinker. For me finding the components at a reasonable price is part of the fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I always recommend getting something decent quality for a shooter and you can always build a more high end upper. Ive had some good Palmetto builds lately but people have been complaining, been running Delton with no issues. Anderson is hit or miss. I have a few in my spare pile.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Build one from quality components. Don't cheap out on it, get stuff that is quality. You'll probably wind up spending 500-900 to build the upper you want, from quality components, but you will know it was made with stuff that won't have serious issues down the line.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Hmm thanks for the replies. Perhaps I will keep saving. How cheap would you go for a good complete upper? Who makes a good one that I can start saving for?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hmm thanks for the replies. Perhaps I will keep saving. How cheap would you go for a good complete upper? Who makes a good one that I can start saving for?

Look, just buy all the parts to assemble an upper. Then once you have all the parts together, sign up for a SOTAR build class. Take box of parts with you and assemble your AR. Along the way you'll be gauging, scoping, and checking everything, to ensure it is made properly.

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017

Personally for what price range you’re in, I’m a fan of aero precision. You can usually find deals at Brownells or straight on their website

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom