• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Here's my collection of modern US-made folding knives and my mini-review for each. I figure if I am going to collect and carry knives, I might as well buy American! There's some great foreign-made knives out there too but that will be another thread. Just for the fun of it I've been selling knives on and off for the last few years to friends and family and at various shows so I have a small inventory to show off. I've got Direct TV and sometimes that "knives live" show has some great deals!
    All these have pocket clips(on the other side) except the minibuck and the Gerber and all but the minibuck can easily be opened with one hand.

1. Kershaw Cyclone, a big assisted-opening liner lock(I don't recommend carrying this knife because of its size and a funny on-off switch)
    2. Kershaw Leek, slim assisted-opening frame lock(great EDC knife)
    3. Kershaw Ener-G, lightweight liner lock with trigger assist(great EDC knife)
    4. Kershaw Scallion, damascus blade liner lock with assisted opening(great EDC knife)
    5. Kershaw Scallion, damascus blade frame lock with assisted opening(great EDC knife)
    6. Camillus "God Bless America" lockback, made right before the brand was sold(collector's item)
    7. Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn combat folder, big and heavy duty liner lock(collector's item)
    8. Mini-Buck lockback(great backup EDC knife)
    9. Buck Vantage series liner lock with trigger assist and wood handle
    10. Buck Vantage series liner lock with trigger assist(great EDC knives)
    11. Bucklite Max lockback(great EDC if you prefer lockbacks)
    12. Remington M-series liner lock, heavy duty aircraft aluminum handle(great EDC knife)
    13. Benchmade Griptilian with axis-lock technology, preferred by police and military(great EDC knife)

Here's an explanation of some terms I use:
    "EDC" = Every Day Carry. A great EDC knife in my opinion is one that is lightweight, strong, easy to open, and comfortable to hold, use and carry.
    "trigger assist" = a projection on the lower part of the blade. When the knife is closed it acts as a trigger on the back of the handle. Pushing it will open the blade part of the way. This is often found on assisted opening knives.
    "assisted opening" = spring loaded knife that may or may not have trigger assist. These knives are similar to switchblades but require the user to manually open the blade part of the way before it flies open.
    "lockback" = folding knife that locks open using a lock bar located on the back of the handle.
    "liner lock" = folding knife that locks open using a steel liner located on the bottom of the handle that slides over to lock the blade open.
    "frame lock" = folding knife that locks open using the frame itself, similar to a liner lock but stronger.

These are NOT for sale at the moment but if you see one you REALLY must have and you can't find it anywhere else, I MIGHT be able to help. Just PM me. I have extras of all these but the Gerber, the Benchmade, and the Kershaw Leek.

Attachments

• usaknives.jpg
      usaknives.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 616

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I've been carrying my Leek every day for a few years now, tip-up safety removed in the right edge of my right pocket. Never cut or hurt myself, and I always have a blade ready in 1 second or less using only one hand. Great for work, and not terrible for SD if it came to that.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I think EVERYONE should carry a good pocket knife or three.
    It's legal and there are literally a million uses for them.
    Hell, we humans have been making, carrying, and using knives for something like 2 million years so why the heck should we stop now?

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I've been carrying my Leek every day for a few years now, tip-up safety removed in the right edge of my right pocket. Never cut or hurt myself, and I always have a blade ready in 1 second or less using only one hand. Great for work, and not terrible for SD if it came to that.

+1

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I have two Benchmade Griptilians, a mini with the tanto/ half serrated and a standard with a half serrated blade. I EDC one or the other based on my task for the day. They are great knives!

-Z

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I carried a Leek for more than a year, great knife! But a tad small in the grip, and a tad straight in the cutting edge, so I don't carry it much anymore.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Benchmade Griptilians are amazing knives but pretty expensive.
    If you need something bigger than a Kershaw Leek, one of the best EDC knives made today would have to be the Buck Vantage.
    I am very pleased with mine. There's several different styles to choose from and they are priced right. The blade and handle are just about the perfect size and the high pocket clip is for tip up carry and reversible. Here's a good review of the Buck Vantage, it's kind of long but covers the knife pretty well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY9uYZuaU8

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    I thought KAI (Kershaw's parent company) was Japanese? Also, I carry a Kershaw Skyline. Easily the best knife I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Opens as easy as an assisted open knife (but isn't one), razor sharp, holds an edge like no other, and rock solid locking mechanism. Best $35 I have ever spent.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Here is my modest but growing collection. I have several cheapo gun show knives that aren't worth mentioning.

Left column:
    Spyderco Endura
    Spyderco Tenacious
    Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara
    Spyderco Byrd Wings

Right Column:
    Benchmade 5270 Mel Pardue Mini Auto Presidio Axis
    Kershaw Blur
    Kershaw Whirlwind
    Kershaw R.A.M.

Bottom
    Victorinox 53950 Slipjoint

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
      IMG_0919.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 111
    Last edited:

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Many Kershaw knives are American made, but I'm not sure who owns the company.
    I recently got a Japanese made Spyderco Endura and I am very pleased!
    It has got to be one of the fastest opening knives ever made the way the little hook on the blade catches your pocket.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Many Kershaw knives are American made, but I'm not sure who owns the company.
    I recently got a Japanese made Spyderco Endura and I am very pleased!
    It has got to be one of the fastest opening knives ever made the way the little hook on the blade catches your pocket.

Yeah, that's a great knife. I actually put a zip tie wave on my Tenacious, which actually doesn't tear up my pockets as much as the Endura Wave.

burbanman

Oct 28, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I have a SOG Flash II. It's awesome

+1 Love the flash II that I carry daily. I liked the Cold Steel Recon 1 I was carrying before, its just a bit large for an EDC knife. It would still be a grab knife for quick defense, or for a camping/hunting trip. Have had several Gerbers and Kerbecks over the years and was really happy, but always seemed to break or lose them. Tried several of the Smith&Wesson knives, just because they were inexpensive from the gun shows, and all broke quickly. I can not recommend them at all for anything other than paper weights

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom