• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    To each their own,

A. this will probably be your only shotgun and you're not exactly Clint Eastwood?
    B. Practice time will be at a premium?
    C. 12 Ga holds MORE pellets for that quail, duck, rabbit ect
    100 yards = realistic trajectory for both.

MY personal opinion.... bolt action shotguns SUCK, had one and gave it away. Forget the followup shot, hulls do not eject as clean as brass. I detested that pos. 870 pump or an auto if you're going to hunt where they're legal.

just my .02.

Thanks for all the replies. BlackBart, with this particular post, I wasn't trying to question the merits of bolt-action versus pump/semi-auto. I was just trying to get opinions on performance of 12 gauge vs 20 gauge.

I think I've already decided that a semi-auto will best fit my particular hunting needs. Several stores that I've found online only offer a "deer package" (ie, has fully rifled, cantiliver barrel instead of smooth bore) in a 20 gauge.

Just wondering if they only offer these for a reason. Are the 20 gauges more popular now because, as others have noted, with modern sabot slugs, a 20 gauge performs just as well?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Taken deer with 12ga (semi and pump) and 20ga (savage 220). There IS a version of the Savage bolt action in 12 ga. (Savage 212!).

My shoulder prefers either the 12ga semi or the 20 ga. You will never get the accuracy out of a semi that you do with a bolt or fixed stock because in a semi the parts (barrel/receiver) move.

I can confirm that deer shot with a 20ga are just as dead and tasty as those with a 12ga.

I would personally not trust slugs beyond the distance where they go subsonic (they tumble).

One thing I don't like about the Savage 220 is the cheap plastic magazine. It wears out and does not lock in right after a while. It also tends to deform (plastic softens, maybe in the heat of summer when I sight it in ?). I wish they would make a metal one for it.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    The best, low cost slug gun is by far the H&R ultra slug in 20 GA. Cheap, very accurate, reliable as anything and very easy to learn how to use. I routinely take deer in the 175 yard range with it humanely. And they are quick to reload if a second shot is needed.

20 GA is much flatter shooting and with some loads, has a faster velocity.

The issue with the kits of rifled and smooth bore barrels to me is the necessity (IMO) to re-sight the scope whenever barrels are changed, even with a cantilever mount. That means if you wanna go shoot clays or geese during deer season, plan on stopping by the rifle range after. I am more into the idea of dedicated gun for each use, especially with how affordable the H&R is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Thanks for all the replies. BlackBart, with this particular post, I wasn't trying to question the merits of bolt-action versus pump/semi-auto. I was just trying to get opinions on performance of 12 gauge vs 20 gauge.

I think I've already decided that a semi-auto will best fit my particular hunting needs. Several stores that I've found online only offer a "deer package" (ie, has fully rifled, cantiliver barrel instead of smooth bore) in a 20 gauge.

Just wondering if they only offer these for a reason. Are the 20 gauges more popular now because, as others have noted, with modern sabot slugs, a 20 gauge performs just as well?

As I said, just my .02 and again if you only have 1 shotgun.... make it a 12. in 870 pump or an auto, It will do everything a 20 will and more.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    20 hands down. Less thump. Flatter trajectory. Remington Copper Solids are 300 grains of pure, Bambi stopping power. You just can't beat an H&R/NEF with a rifled barrel and 2x7 scope for hunting deer out to 100 yards.

Is it September yet?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    As I said, just my .02 and again if you only have 1 shotgun.... make it a 12. in 870 pump or an auto, It will do everything a 20 will and more.

That's a good point about one shotgun.

If I could only have one it would be a 12. I don't think I would try a 20ga on ducks or geese.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Dedicated deer gun,savage 220 and a nikon slughunter BDC scope with a winchester partition, you dont want to be anywhere within 200yards of me.

If i only had one, 12 gauge for a do all.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have heard the same from guys in the office that are avid hunters. 20 gauge slug gun bolt- and Savage makes a good one. They tell me a 12 gauge slug has a sharp kick to it, way more than a skeet load.

Well up until this year I would have said 12GA. But I have two friends who have the 20ga. Savage bolt shotgun. I had the opportunity to shoot one of them and I have to say the damn things shoots like a rifle. I shot a 3 shot 3/4" group first time on the gun. I was so impressed with it I started doing some research online and looking at the ballistics of the 20Ga. And out to 300 yds.The thing hits like a hammer.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have heard the same from guys in the office that are avid hunters. 20 gauge slug gun bolt- and Savage makes a good one. They tell me a 12 gauge slug has a sharp kick to it, way more than a skeet load.

Sharp kick is putting it mildly. When hunting, it's not felt, but sighting in makes it feel like you're being hit with a wrecking ball each time you pull the trigger. Shoot long enough and you'll develop a flinch. Then you carry that flinch into the woods with you because your shoulder remembers the abuse.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Well yeah but you're not shooting slugs at clays. I have yet to feel ANY recoil while hunting duck, pheasant, deer, rabbit ect. In real life situations not a bench or clay shoot, one ignores it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom