• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    Recently acquired a Smith and Wesson M&P in 10mm. I want to fire full power ammo, or close to it, in the gun. I seem to have gathered that the stuff for self defense is going to run me over 1$ per round. I need suggestions on range ammo. I would also like some insight into self defense ammo as this is going to be a woods gun. I have concerns about 2 and 4 legged predators. TIA.

Recently acquired a Smith and Wesson M&P in 10mm. I want to fire full power ammo, or close to it, in the gun. I seem to have gathered that the stuff for self defense is going to run me over 1$ per round. I need suggestions on range ammo. I would also like some insight into self defense ammo as this is going to be a woods gun. I have concerns about 2 and 4 legged predators. TIA.
    Read the ballistics before any purchase. Many commercial 10mm rounds are nothing more than .40 in 10mm brass. For plinking loads that are "real" 10mm, but not really hot, these are pretty tough to beat.
    Save your brass, guys like me will buy it from you.

Sounds like a capable cartridge. I hear dudes in Alaska are carrying 10mm for bear defense.
    The Glock 20 is the #1 outdoor carry gun up there. Full house 10mm has a little more punch than a .357 Magnum and the G20 holds 15+1 rounds and weighs significantly less than a big bore revolver.
    I'm not a huge fan of Glocks, but that logic is tough to argue with.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    The Glock 20 is the #1 outdoor carry gun up there. Full house 10mm has a little more punch than a .357 Magnum and the G20 holds 15+1 rounds and weighs significantly less than a big bore revolver.
    I'm not a huge fan of Glocks, but that logic is tough to argue with.
    FN 510 holds 22 +1

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Have you considered handloading? I don't mean reloading, but rather buying primed brass and adding your powder and bullet and seating. Minimal work to do this. SIG sells new primed cases, among others

I just did the spreadsheet math on the all that. Assuming you're buying at $1 a round, I come up with a cost of $0.66 per round when buying all the components. It would take you 331 rounds to break even on the equipment costs.

This is assuming
    Bullets for $25/100
    Powder $40 lb, 7.5 gr charge
    Primed Brass $33/100
    Equipment Costs $125 (press, dies, powder measure, scale)

Use a good metering powder like CFE Pistol, and it'll throw pretty much dead on. One complication is that you may find it necessary to flare the case for bullet seating. It's not a big deal, just adds an extra step that takes time. A good chamfer may obviate the need for flaring, though I've never tried that on pistol rounds as I have a progressive press with room for a flaring stage.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , case belling is a standard part of handgun ctg loading .

Better price break on larger than 100 quanity of bullets .

You will want a slower powder than CFE for full house 10mm .

I've long been outspoken about getting your feet wet handloading with thrifty initial outlay . But if your planning for a decent Powder Measure , Plus a scale that doesn't suck , in 2024 the outlay will be closer to $200 than $125 .

I'm not totally clear . Are you proposing only using factory primed Cades, and discarding after firing? ie flare , fill , seat , and crimp only ? Or also allow for reusing of cases you personally fired the first time ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Popular favorites include Longshot , Blue Dot , AA 7 , 800-X , for " mainstream full power " .

The usual faster powders can be used for .40 S&W equivalent loads .

For Extra Hot , some slow powders are added to the first group . ( But don't go there , until you have mastered load development for " mainstream full " .)

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Have you considered handloading? I don't mean reloading, but rather buying primed brass and adding your powder and bullet and seating. Minimal work to do this. SIG sells new primed cases, among others

I just did the spreadsheet math on the all that. Assuming you're buying at $1 a round, I come up with a cost of $0.66 per round when buying all the components. It would take you 331 rounds to break even on the equipment costs.

This is assuming
    Bullets for $25/100
    Powder $40 lb, 7.5 gr charge
    Primed Brass $33/100
    Equipment Costs $125 (press, dies, powder measure, scale)

Use a good metering powder like CFE Pistol, and it'll throw pretty much dead on. One complication is that you may find it necessary to flare the case for bullet seating. It's not a big deal, just adds an extra step that takes time. A good chamfer may obviate the need for flaring, though I've never tried that on pistol rounds as I have a progressive press with room for a flaring stage.

For the good of the order …

RavenRock has moved into their new warehouse:
    Brand new Starline 10mm Auto Brass (Back in stock) - 2000 ct box for $237 (free shipping!) - nearly half the price as direct from Starline - best price online by a long shot.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use a just below max load of Blue Dot behind a polymer coated 180gr lead bullet and get over 1400 fps with no pressure signs. I have tested it in a Dan Wesson Silverback and a S&W 610 with 4" barrel. I have not tested (and used a cronograph) this load with my Ruger 3" GP100, 4.25" SA XM10, or 6" TRP Operater yet.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I use a just below max load of Blue Dot behind a polymer coated 180gr lead bullet and get over 1400 fps with no pressure signs. I have tested it in a Dan Wesson Silverback and a S&W 610 with 4" barrel. I have not tested (and used a cronograph) this load with my Ruger 3" GP100, 4.25" SA XM10, or 6" TRP Operater yet.
    Is that 1400 fps from the Silverback and S&W 610?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    More 10mm goodness …

Grand Power Stribog SP10A3 10MM UMP Style Delayed Roller Pistol + SB Tactical Brace

Attachments

• IMG_6167.jpeg
      IMG_6167.jpeg
      79.6 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads