$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    While reading all of the responses here I thought about other Garand purchases. I would love to have a CMP special grade. However, not so sure how long the IHC Service Grade will be available, so maybe now or never.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    By rights, the HRAs should command a premium. There were fewer made and quality is the highest.
    For a long time, IHCs were scarce here, perhaps because many ended up in Iran, or rusted away in South America. If more IHCs keep turning up, values may drop. There is nothing inherently more desirable about an IHC as a shooter, unless it has an LMR barrel.

HRAs may be the smart buys.

But any Garand is a smart buy...

And seeing this comment makes me wonder if the CMP special would have been a better use of my my money as opposed to an IHC; but I don't know how long the CMP IHC Garands are going to last. I will probably end with both anyways; moot point.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Do you have an E-Store account? If you do the order should show up there during the processing before it ships.

Yep - says it shipped, right there in the E-Store dashboard, just like you said!!

[EDIT] well - label created, whatever!

[EDIT 2] So I mailed in the packet on Jul 24th, and it says "processed" and my credit card charge in less than one week after mailing? Wow!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Garand and the M1 Carbine are two WWII era rifles I truly admire (despite the M1 Carbine is called by some a "flimsy pop gun" ;) ); I can see myself owning multiple types of these.

Yeah, my Carbine is a bit of a rattle trap, but it is so sweet to shoot and handy. Damn accurate too for what it is. Wolf steel will manage minute of bad guy at 125yds, but probably not further. PPU FMJ will easily manage minute of beer bottle at 100yds, maybe even 125yds.

On the shipping time, damn! That is fast.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yep - says it shipped, right there in the E-Store dashboard, just like you said!!

[EDIT] well - label created, whatever!

[EDIT 2] So I mailed in the packet on Jul 24th, and it says "processed" and my credit card charge in less than one week after mailing? Wow!!

Check the e-store form it may list the S/N then you can check the born on date.:D
    http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id11.html

Not that I ever did this.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Cool, mine came out of Port Clinton, OH.

Q

Was this a recent order? Everything is processed in Anniston and all rifles are “taken in there”. That is also where most, if not all of the armors are located. Most gun are trucked to the north store ready to sell. Either way Ill be looking to see you post tomorrow. I’m start to have withdraws as I have not bought one in 4 months. Last was an M1D combo back in March. All of mine have been hand picked at the south store. I see a my first mail order in the near future.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    It was this past May. They were backlogged, and it was for an IHC. My other M1 from last November came out of Anniston, AL, an SA.

Q

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    FedEx fun today; wife did not answer when they came; she was taking a bath. Not home tomorrow AM. Ok - arrange for pick at FedEx location. Done. Check to see; Safeway?! NO! Not behind the service counter of Safeway! Not what I wanted! Made the wrong selection. Web site won't let me change it. Phone system at FedEx won't let me change it! Get a rep. On hold for 20 minutes. Got a really nice guy; "change it back to original address please!" Done. Hello work? I'll be in late. :)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got it today and I am so far very happy! It has a new CMP stock that is nearly flawless; so I have both a collectible and a looker. I'll take it down tonight when I have time and see what kind of barrel, etc. It does have a wide IHC front sight as far as I can tell. The end of the barrel / gas tube has all the finish rubbed off. The CMP FDE case looks sharp, better than basic black.

Attachments

• 20180802_094610.jpg
      20180802_094610.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 104
    • 20180802_094800.jpg
      20180802_094800.jpg
      107.2 KB · Views: 121
    • 20180802_094811.jpg
      20180802_094811.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 130

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts