• ...and so much more!
  • Gain value? Or, lose value?

• Total voters

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Provenance is always additive value. Exception being the poor sod who electropenciled his SSN onto the slide of his Dad's bringback PPK from WWII or some such nonsense.

We've seen that import markings are a drawback. But personal ID linking a weapon to a particular soldier for example has proved to add value.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Meh. I've got to be more optimistic than that. I think the 2A will survive. It may be neutered down eventually once the supreme court flips again.

There's something like over 400 million guns in private hands in this country. That's going to take more than 100 years to undo.

Sorry to be off topic OP lol.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    These are some very good comments! I thank you guys, for participating. I don’t have any kids of my own, so my name dies with me. My wife has two adult children, and they have one son each. I guess, in some small way, that this may leave some account of my life. If that makes any sense to some of you. I’ve also considered re-nitrating the slides, but I haven’t made up my mind about that. Yes, I am aware that they were originally treated with Tenifer

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    These are some very good comments! I thank you guys, for participating. I don’t have any kids of my own, so my name dies with me. My wife has two adult children, and they have one son each. I guess, in some small way, that this may leave some account of my life. If that makes any sense to some of you. I’ve also considered re-nitrating the slides, but I haven’t made up my mind about that. Yes, I am aware that they were originally treated with Tinnifer (sp)
    Tenifer.
    I would leave all natural patina, as long as it isn't corrosive. Holster wear in particular. A gun with holster wear boasts a long history. I am not an expert on heritage firearms, so take me with a grain of salt...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm always somewhat baffled when gun guys start talking about "value" when it comes to guns, and what could possibly detract from a "collector value" on something that doesn't have a lot of monetary value to begin with, such as a run-of-the mill Mosin Nagant.

Ultimately it matters very little IMO. It might shift the value by a few bucks - maybe as much as $100 - but we're not talking about desecrating an antique Winchester 1886 lever rifle where there were less than 200,000 in the entire production run up to 1935, we're talking about a rather cheap pistol of which there are millions of specimens in existence.

Does it really matter? I guess to some people it does, but for something that isn't going to be a safe queen, for me it's not worth the effort to even think about.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm always somewhat baffled when gun guys start talking about "value" when it comes to guns, and what could possibly detract from a "collector value" on something that doesn't have a lot of monetary value to begin with, such as a run-of-the mill Mosin Nagant.

Ultimately it matters very little IMO. It might shift the value by a few bucks - maybe as much as $100 - but we're not talking about desecrating an antique Winchester 1886 lever rifle where there were less than 200,000 in the entire production run up to 1935, we're talking about a rather cheap pistol of which there are millions of specimens in existence.

Does it really matter? I guess to some people it does, but for something that isn't going to be a safe queen, for me it's not worth the effort to even think about.
    In the context of 100 years, as per the OP, I would think it will matter, greatly. It isn't difficult to imagine, there will be giant leaps made in weaponry by then. Guns, hand guns in particular, will be all but obsolete. Just to own a Glock from our era may become quite the oddity, let alone one that belonged to and saw duty as a law officer. Just a hunch.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    In the context of 100 years, as per the OP, I would think it will matter, greatly. It isn't difficult to imagine, there will be giant leaps made in weaponry by then. Guns, hand guns in particular, will be all but obsolete. Just to own a Glock from our era may become quite the oddity, let alone one that belonged to and saw duty as a law officer. Just a hunch.
    I'm not so sure. Center fire cartridges have been a thing for a LONG time. That concept was invented in the early 1800s, but became commonplace with the 44-40 cartridge in 1873. That's 150 years.

The semiautomatic pistol became commonplace around 1900, and the 1911 model that is still widely manufactured and sold was developed by 1906-1907. That's 116 years.

We're still using smokeless propellants that were developed in the late 1800s - some sources say Bullseye, which is a staple on my reloading bench, was first introduced in 1898, other sources say 1913. Either way, it really hasn't changed much.

There have been a lot of refinements along the way - wildcat rifle cartridges that became commonplace, and various other developments have been made using different materials and slightly different designs, but guns have been functionally mostly unchanged for a long, long time, and I don't suspect that's going to change anytime soon because we're near the pinnacle of the design.

It's like saying that there will be giant leaps made in hammers in the next 100 years. No - hammers have been refined, but otherwise largely unchanged for millennia.

Last edited:

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Speaking of the future and space colonization and all that, it would be cool (IMO) if an astronaut would take a firearm out on a spacewalk and fire a round. Several different calibers would be even better. Newton would get a kick out of it, as would I.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    These are some very good comments! I thank you guys, for participating. I don’t have any kids of my own, so my name dies with me.

You will not Die

As long as there is an MDSF, you shall live Forever

You and your posts maybe be archived but you will live on in the annals or the anal,which ever the case maybe, of MDSF

And I predict in 100 years, some MDSF Noob will still ask, what's better to collect and shoot? 9vs40vs45?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    You will not Die

As long as there is an MDSF, you shall live Forever

You and your posts maybe be archived but you will live on in the annals or the anal,which ever the case maybe, of MDSF

And I predict in 100 years, some MDSF Noob will still ask, what's better to collect and shoot? 9vs40vs45?
    Now that was funny:lol2::lol:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom