• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    Bought a new 10-22 for nothing but a plinker I am a religious gun cleaner I love doing it. But I decided to clean my new gun because my son is taking a nap and I have nothing better to do. I put the brush in and push and look to see it come out of the barrel and what do I see a zip tie about 8 in or so. Glad I cleaned it cause I'm gonna shoot it this afternoon.

Attachments

• image-2758617382.jpg
      image-2758617382.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 741

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    That is why you clean every gun before you use it. Should be SOP. Make sure there is no oil/grease in the bore or other obstruction. I I had some shredded paper in the bore once.

You should also inspect any new gun and make sure it functions correctly as well. If the model is new to you the time spent helps get you to know the new gun and it's function/features.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    That is why you clean every gun before you use it. Should be SOP. Make sure there is no oil/grease in the bore or other obstruction. I I had some shredded paper in the bore once.

You should also inspect any new gun and make sure it functions correctly as well. If the model is new to you the time spent helps get you to know the new gun and it's function/features.

I had a friend that bought a few used guns awhile back and brought them over for me to go over and clean up for him . One was a real nice Remington 1100 . I put my bore light in and saw no light at the other end of the tunnel . I ran a rod down it and pushed out a 4" long wad of tightly packed paper towels . That would have been a bad day at the range .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Holy Crap! Imagine what could have happened if you didn't clean it first!

...probably nothing but some pieces of zip-tie a few yards out and a shot off target. Good job being a responsible gun owner and ensuring proper function before using it:thumbsup:. If more people inspected equipment before using it, we'd have a lot less accidents.

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    My thought is I am a gun owner and own several so I know my way around cleaning and shooting. But a 10-22 is normally a "starter" rifle in the world of guns I'm just glad I was the one to by it and not someone who is just starting out

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    In Hatcher's Notebook, he tells a story of, as a boy, emptying his .22 rifle without effect at a bird sitting unperturbed on a tree branch. When he broke the rifle down later, he found all the bullets stuck in the barrel. No damage was found when they were removed.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    I'm not surprised at all. Don't get me started on Rugers.

I do, however, have a 10-22 that I've owned for several decades, and I think it's a decent gun. Much to my surprise.

Anyway, as others have said, I'm glad you exercised due diligence and no one was hurt.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I'm not surprised at all. Don't get me started on Rugers.

I do, however, have a 10-22 that I've owned for several decades, and I think it's a decent gun. Much to my surprise.

Anyway, as others have said, I'm glad you exercised due diligence and no one was hurt.

...Rugers are known for having zip ties in the barrel? :shrug:

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    ...Rugers are known for having zip ties in the barrel? :shrug:

Not that I've heard of. I've just never been happy with any Ruger except the 10-22. I have a low opinion of the company and its products. So I wasn't surprised that something so sloppy came out of the factory.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Not that I've heard of. I've just never been happy with any Ruger except the 10-22. I have a low opinion of the company and its products. So I wasn't surprised that something so sloppy came out of the factory.

Couldn't have been a dealer that brought it out to a gun show that required it to be zip tied.

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    hvymax said:
    I did'nt know that Wal-Mart sold 10-22's with .920 stainless barrels.

Yea they do they call it an all weather gun stainless barrel poly stock they are about $30 more than a standard 10-22

Attachments

• image-4505536.jpg
      image-4505536.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 470

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads