• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    So guys I was looking around online and came across someone that built a 1/2 scale ar and I thought that would be a fun idea for my next project but i have a few questions hopefully some of you may be able to answer!

Is there any place I could rent the use of a a CNC machine or have someone make the upper, lower and buffer tube?

Could you simply take cad files and cut the dimensions in half or would it be too thin/weak?

Would it even be legal to make something that small?

And finally where would I even start a project like this??

Here is link to the original project. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/1-2-scale-ar-15.763054/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it is functional, you would have to write the CNC program, as per the BATFE.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    If it is half scale wouldn't it be way too short and thus an SBR and probably illegal in MD due to <29"

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    So guys I was looking around online and came across someone that built a 1/2 scale ar and I thought that would be a fun idea for my next project but i have a few questions hopefully some of you may be able to answer!

Is there any place I could rent the use of a a CNC machine or have someone make the upper, lower and buffer tube?

Could you simply take cad files and cut the dimensions in half or would it be too thin/weak?

Would it even be legal to make something that small?

And finally where would I even start a project like this??

Here is link to the original project. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/1-2-scale-ar-15.763054/

This isn't a beginners project. If you read the entire thread, you will find that he can't get enough spring pressure to ignite the round. I thought he'd have that problem when I started reading the thread.

There's a lot more to this project than just dividing all of the drawing by 2. A bit more engineering needs to be put into this before it's built.

There was a lot of wasted time and money that went into that build.

It's cool and if he wanted to make it a non-firing model, that would have been great. I think even with his vast amount of experience and skill, he'd tell you there's a lot more that should go into this than just machine shop work.

However, if you try, I wish you nothing but the best of luck!

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Thanks for the input guys! I think ill just save this project for a day when I have more experience :)

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    And if you read the entire thread, somewhere he mentions just how many hours he has put into that 1/2 scale "model", it's something in the hundreds of hours!!
    With that said, it is an incredible accomplishment and testament to his machining capabilities!
    Brian

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, 5.7 uses a 5.56 projectile.

But is half scale, that still makes it equal to a .426" bore.

So technically, it is a 1/2 scale .458 SOCOM AR. :D

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Photo w/ regular AR on page 10, post #243.

Nice!!!
    Thanks, I didn't have 10 pages worth of patience.
    Pretty amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpg
      IMG_8185.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 234

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Legality aside, don't see the point of half scale. You'd probably end up with .22LR horsepower at best.

Much better to spend the time and effort on a double-scale cannon. The big stupid grins it gives will be priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom