• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    You misunderstood. If it ISNT a heavy barrel, then it is illegal in Maryland.

Yeah i see that lol i was thinking why would an HBAR be LEGAL if it’s heavier and i can unload more rounds without it heating up so fast…sounds like a bad type for a criminal to have when they can unload mayhem with no need to barrel change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah i see that lol i was thinking why would an HBAR be LEGAL if it’s heavier and i can unload more rounds without it heating up so fast…sounds like a bad type for a criminal to have when they can unload mayhem with no need to barrel change

Pencil barrels are way more killier.

Really, it was a carve out for the Colt sporter Hbar being use as a competition rifle, so in their great wisdom, they allowed any AR with a heavy barrel. See my previous comment on Md law makers...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Pencil barrels are way more killier.

Really, it was a carve out for the Colt sporter Hbar being use as a competition rifle, so in their great wisdom, they allowed any AR with a heavy barrel. See my previous comment on Md law makers...

This.

The current 'banned' list used to be a regulated long gun list. They basically wrote down everything scary looking and decided they would be treated like a handgun, with a 7 day wait, requirement to be over 21 to purchase, and more intrusive colonoscopy background check.

As I understand it there were objections on behalf of college and perhaps high school shooting teams, so an exception was made for the Colt Heavy Barrel rifle which was popular for target shooting. Being under 21 would make it problematic for them to compete with a regulated firearm.

When O'Malley wanted to make a name for himself and try running for President his political lackeys wrote legislation turning the existing regulated long gun list into a 'banned' list.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Coming from Virginia, I’ve found MD’s anti-tactical weapon laws to be arbitrary and convoluted. I had to spend quite a bit of money doing barrel swaps on my ARs to make them into “HBAR” models so that I could have them here.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    He can bring it to MD in 2 pieces, upper and lower. Keep it apart and you are good to go under current law.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    And if some authority asks to see it, what do you say?

Fvck off, you got a warrant?

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    He can bring it to MD in 2 pieces, upper and lower. Keep it apart and you are good to go under current law.

I've heard this before, but I find that notion to be quite confusing. Wouldn't possession of a non-HBAR upper, without owning any pre-2013 lowers, serve as a sufficient pretext to be charged with constructive intent? (If MSP were ever actually enforcing the FSA 2013 ban, that is.)

Me, I decided not to take any risks. I don't own any pre-2013 lowers (not up here, at least), so I had barrels swapped on my non-compliant uppers.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I've heard this before, but I find that notion to be quite confusing. Wouldn't possession of a non-HBAR upper, without owning any pre-2013 lowers, serve as a sufficient pretext to be charged with constructive intent? (If MSP were ever actually enforcing the FSA 2013 ban, that is.)

Me, I decided not to take any risks. I don't own any pre-2013 lowers (not up here, at least), so I had barrels swapped on my non-compliant uppers.
    No. There are no current laws in MD that say any type of upper, by itself, is illegal to possess.

Don't let the BGOS get you.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Isn’t there an exemption for Active Duty Military? If his home of record is Pennsylvania can’t he legally purchase it there and bring it to his temporary duty station here?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    And if some authority asks to see it, what do you say?

Fvck off, you got a warrant?

Give them a copy of The Constitution and tell them to fvck off.
    Besides, nobody is checking this stuff at ranges

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    But we have to live with current interpretations, which is/are, the part of the firearm that carries the serial number is what the AFT considers the firearm. Be it frame, barrel, receiver, fcu...
    Not saying it's right, just the way it is for now. Parts is parts, but at the same time, until we go back to pre serelialization ways(not holdingmy breathon that one), something has to bear the numbers. That's just the way it is until it isn't.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    No. There are no current laws in MD that say any type of upper, by itself, is illegal to possess.

Don't let the BGOS get you.

I mean, I know that it's not illegal to possess the upper. But on paper, it isn't illegal under federal law to possess a short-barreled AR upper, either. On the other hand, if you don't have a lower that can legally host it (either an AR pistol lower or a Form 1'ed rifle lower), you're putting yourself at risk to be prosecuted for constructive intent. I do realize the difference is that ATF actually does arrest people for federal prosecution sometimes, while MSP has shown no willingness whatsoever to enforce FSA 2013.

Anyway, I didn't swap my barrels to be MD-compliant based on BGOS; I just wanted to be able to keep my rifles fully assembled and not have to put them together only when I'm across the border in VA.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Isn’t there an exemption for Active Duty Military? If his home of record is Pennsylvania can’t he legally purchase it there and bring it to his temporary duty station here?

MD can't do anything to restrict his rights in PA, but I think possession would be banned here unless he owned it prior to Oct 2013. I don't recall any exceptions for possession of personal weapons by active duty.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I mean, I know that it's not illegal to possess the upper. But on paper, it isn't illegal under federal law to possess a short-barreled AR upper, either. On the other hand, if you don't have a lower that can legally host it (either an AR pistol lower or a Form 1'ed rifle lower), you're putting yourself at risk to be prosecuted for constructive intent. I do realize the difference is that ATF actually does arrest people for federal prosecution sometimes, while MSP has shown no willingness whatsoever to enforce FSA 2013.

Anyway, I didn't swap my barrels to be MD-compliant based on BGOS; I just wanted to be able to keep my rifles fully assembled and not have to put them together only when I'm across the border in VA.

We agree.

That is a good choice as well. Never take the word of a single source on the Internet. Do your own research and make the decision which you are comfortable with.

MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    MD can't do anything to restrict his rights in PA, but I think possession would be banned here unless he owned it prior to Oct 2013. I don't recall any exceptions for possession of personal weapons by active duty.

Well all my “assault rifles” or whatever they claim them to be were bought at gun shows where you didn’t even get a receipt so i mean i guess they were all purchased before 2013…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom