• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Simple Answer - If it's offered for sale by a Maryland Dealer , you can presume it is Maryland Legal . Several of our IP's regularly offer good deals . Several sources can build something Maryland Legal to your specs .

But unless you know exactly which SKU's to look for , your just frustrating yourself looking at nationally based advertising/ websites .
    ^^^This^^^

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    AR15 rifles in 223/556 calibers are banned, with the exception of the HBAR model, which was a carve out exemption for those who use the HBARs in competitions. That was the one gimme that the MGA allows. Pistols are not banned, nor are calibers other than the std AR15 caliber, so there are some options, but basically if it's a rifle in std caliber it must be a heavy barrel to be legal in MD after 2013.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    At this point I’ll stick to BB guns..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wise decision.

No, really, here's a little more clarification: Any AR 15 in 5.56/.223 caliber bought after 1 October 2013 must have a heavy barrel profile. There is no common source of measurement. The barrel must be marked on the barrel as Heavy Barrel, hbar, etc, or advertised as having or being a heavy barrel(ed) gun or barrel.

Now, it is still legal to own non Hbar uppers. You just can't attach them to a lower purchased after 10/1/2013 inside the state of Maryland. You can take a post banned lower outside of Md and stick an upper on it with a pencil barrel if you like. Just make sure you uncouple them before returning to Merryland.

Guns purchased prior to the ban are not required to have Hbars.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Wise decision.

No, really, here's a little more clarification: Any AR 15 in 5.56/.223 caliber bought after 1 October 2013 must have a heavy barrel profile. There is no common source of measurement. The barrel must be marked on the barrel as Heavy Barrel, hbar, etc, or advertised as having or being a heavy barrel(ed) gun or barrel.

Now, it is still legal to own non Hbar uppers. You just can't attach them to a lower purchased after 10/1/2013 inside the state of Maryland. You can take a post banned lower outside of Md and stick an upper on it with a pencil barrel if you like. Just make sure you uncouple them before returning to Merryland.

This.

If they take the Upper off of the Lower they can ship both to MD. You cannot reassemble in MD (at least until the MD AWB is overturned, which I'm hoping to happen in the next 45 days).

MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    Wise decision.

Gotcha, i was under the assumption HBAR was the only thing banned. That’s the way i read it anyway…so damn confusing they can’t even take the time to list out exact brands and models. Clear as mud lol

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Gotcha, i was under the assumption HBAR was the only thing banned. That’s the way i read it anyway…so damn confusing they can’t even take the time to list out exact brands and models. Clear as mud lol

Start here. Goes by manufacturer. Check "status" to see whether it is banned or not:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

And that is one of the clearer Maryland gun laws we have some confusing ones here.
    Do not try to understand the why because the only reason for most of these laws is to make it as difficult as possible for law abiding gun owners so they will give up their rights that the politicians can't legally take away.

MAANavy

Feb 3, 2023
    Severn
    You guys were right…Hanover Armory just emailed me saying it’s not allowed looks like I’ll be shipping it to PA.. thanks for the helps guys

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    You guys were right…Hanover Armory just emailed me saying it’s not allowed looks like I’ll be shipping it to PA.. thanks for the helps guys

IIRC, PA FFLs will likely not transfer it to you as a MD resident. For out of state transfers, I seem to recall that it still needs to be legal in the transferees state of residence.

Others will be along shortly to correct if this is mistaken.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    IIRC, PA FFLs will likely not transfer it to you as a MD resident. For out of state transfers, I seem to recall that it still needs to be legal in the transferees state of residence.

True, but he has special circumstances. He is active duty military originally from PA, as he has posted before. If he is still a legal resident of PA, I believe he can legally purchase it there and never bring it to MD.

With MD orders he can also purchase MD legal firearms in MD and keep them here.

I believe he could also buy a new upper for the rifle once he receives it in PA, either 5.56 HBAR or some other caliber, and then bring it to MD.

Others will be along shortly to correct if this is mistaken.

Ditto for what I just said. :)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    But it’s not a “heavy barrel” right? I guess I’m just confused as to what exactly an Assualt Rifle is to these law makers. I guess I’ll find out soon but Hanover Armory looked at my receipt and didn’t seem to have an issue..

You misunderstood. If it ISNT a heavy barrel, then it is illegal in Maryland.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    True, but he has special circumstances. He is active duty military originally from PA, as he has posted before. If he is still a legal resident of PA, I believe he can legally purchase it there and never bring it to MD.

With MD orders he can also purchase MD legal firearms in MD and keep them here.

I believe he could also buy a new upper for the rifle once he receives it in PA, either 5.56 HBAR or some other caliber, and then bring it to MD.

Ditto for what I just said. :)
    This. I was going to ask what his state of residency is. If your D/L says PA, then buy it in PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom