• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctucker1405

Dec 27, 2010
    Owings Mills, MD
    I'm in the process of building a target frame for the pistol range at AGC. I am following the 100yd frame design found in the rules pack aNd on this site. Since most of my shooting will be within 25yds, are there holes in the ground at the marked distances (7yds,etc) for the legs of the stand or should I plan to build a base for my stand? Sorry if this has been asked previously, I did search but most of the thread went off on a tangent on holster rules, rapid fire, "why I hate AGC", etc

Thanks!

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    There are no holes in the pistol range at 7yds for a target stand. You need for make some kind of base plate for it.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I've been using this to hold my target frame. A little 1 1/2" pvc, a little glue, a couple of spikes and a cheap hammer. Holds pretty well even in a good breeze and I can set it where I want it. :)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      51.9 KB · Views: 980
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      48.1 KB · Views: 960

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The AGC sells spikes in the house at the Barnes range for use with your usual approved target stand. Or at least they used to.

At either end of the pistol range there are colored posts, marking off different distances (e.g., 7 yards, ...). Just line your stand up using those.

Bryan

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Who said you can not rapid fire?

As long as you hit the dirt berm your are fine.

Last week the barns house did not have any bases to hold frames on the pistol range

ctucker1405

Dec 27, 2010
    Owings Mills, MD
    Who said you can not rapid fire?

As long as you hit the dirt berm your are fine.

Last week the barns house did not have any bases to hold frames on the pistol range

Hopefully this is a joke. This is how the other threads got off topic and ended up in disagreements about AGC rules, etc, etc when a simple question/scenario was presented.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I don't want to speak for Daminowfish, but I suspect he meant to say "as long as your shots hit the impact area which is just beyond the 50 yd target line". The RSO I generally see during the week usually checks to see that targets placed closer than the 25 yd target line where the AGC metal frames are located, are high enough so that shooters do not hit the berm just in front of the 25 yd. line.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's the stand I made. It's meant to be free standing, rather than staked. I'm very skeptical about its stability in a crosswind, though. I left the middle joints unglued, so I can pull it apart and put rebar or gold dubloons or what-not inside for weight. I'll probably drill a couple holes in it and take along a hammer and a couple gutter spikes, too. Just more crap to lug to the range, oh well.

So far, I've tried it once, and it worked great, although there was no wind at all. By the way, I have to post a target about five feet high if I place the stand at about ten yards.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      126.5 KB · Views: 894

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    With all the confusion over the use of the green staked target holders, I think the PVC stands are the way to go. Maybe the AGC should also make the PVC stands available since the Juniors already make the wood target frames.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I did search but most of the thread went off on a tangent on holster rules, rapid fire, "why I hate AGC", etc

Thanks!

I don't want to speak for Daminowfish, but I suspect he meant to say "as long as your shots hit the impact area which is just beyond the 50 yd target line". The RSO I generally see during the week usually checks to see that targets placed closer than the 25 yd target line where the AGC metal frames are located, are high enough so that shooters do not hit the berm just in front of the 25 yd. line.

:thumbsup:

You can shoot as fast as you can as long as you control your rounds to impacting the dirt berm at the end of the range.

I just wanted to state that I do not believe that currently there are any pistol frame bases for sale at the AGC. I did not want people going thinking they were available. But then I have not been there in 2 days.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I would prefer a heavier, sturdier metal base, but being a long-term member of AARP and doing most of my shooting at AGC, I opted for the lighter PVC route to lighten the load from the pistol range parking lot to the shooting line. With the spikes through the PVC, mine has not yet blown over due to the wind.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Just Curious, but how does sturdy are the PVC bases when windy?

The PVC based target stands are susceptible to wind, I was actually thinking of building this one (see video below) and then if needbe I could fill the base with water or dirt. The other option for securing it to the ground is using a metal U stake(picture below video)

1198387279542jpg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom