• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I'm trying to make up a map showing, county-by-county, where law-abiding citizens can get carry permits. I've already got a lot done, and it's something I think would surprise a lot of Marylanders:

9rGEG.png

I've got a large vector map at http://www.mediafire.com/?g18eco0i8r4g979 and a bigger PNG at http://i.imgur.com/nYy2m.png.

And just for the hell of it, I made a cartogram, too! It's not as encouraging, but it's important to know what the human geography looks like, too. Area on this map translates into people. That is, the size of each county on the map is proportional to its population.

1F2jT.png

Vector map at http://www.mediafire.com/?b51ap78ehpafbgg, and a bigger PNG at http://i.imgur.com/AOz3T.png

NOTE: Everything updated 1/28/12

Suggestions? Corrections? Advice?

Thanks to shawn for more Massachusetts info
    Thanks to Doug33w for more New York info

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    Illinois is the only true "no issue" state. You can lump DC, Hawaii, New Jersey, some California and some New York jurisdictions as extremely difficult may-issue places (perhaps in pink).

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It's just sad how closed minded our state is with respect to this issue. I'm not even allowed to defend myself....that's just incomprehensible to me

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Illinois is the only true "no issue" state. You can lump DC, Hawaii, New Jersey, some California and some New York jurisdictions as extremely difficult may-issue places (perhaps in pink).

I thought about doing that, but in the end I'm trying to map outcomes, not necessarily law. To the average citizen, there's no difference between trying to get a permit in Chicago and trying to get a permit in Hawaii. Hopefully I won't have to update the map too many times before it all turns green! (Dark green, preferably)

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Mass is "May Issue" up to local chief leo for residents and state police for Non Res

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Mass is "May Issue" up to local chief leo for residents and state police for Non Res

Do you know of any maps that show the issuance policies of the western towns? I'm guessing those two gray counties are green in reality, but I don't have anything to back it up.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Do you know of any maps that show the issuance policies of the western towns? I'm guessing those two gray counties are green in reality, but I don't have anything to back it up.

No, the entire state is May Issue.......

That the local leo in Arlington is more likely to actually issue a class a ltc than the boston leo does not change the fact that the law renders the state as a May Issue State

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    No, the entire state is May Issue.......

That the local leo in Arlington is more likely to actually issue a class a ltc than the boston leo does not change the fact that the law renders the state as a May Issue State

Like I said before, though, "may-issue" isn't enough. Each town has discretion, and I'm trying to map what they actually do -- not just what they are empowered to do by law. Otherwise I'd be coloring Alabama the same way as Maryland or New Jersey

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Surprised? Not at all. We know we live in one of the last Nazi States.

We all know we live in a dumb state, but I bet the average non-shooter in this state has no idea that a national consensus has already been reached on handgun carry, and that Maryland is on the losing side

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    How about sending this out to our friendly knowledgeable represetntatives in the state legislature? But I'm sure they have seen it and said "look at us we are one of the only states left that is safe just think about how all those green states are like the old west with shootouts on every corner"

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    We all know we live in a dumb state, but I bet the average non-shooter in this state has no idea that a national consensus has already been reached on handgun carry, and that Maryland is on the losing side

Exactly.

I have long said this should be central to our message. I'm sure most Marylanders have no idea that this old issue was settled years ago, just a few miles up the road" in every one of our neighboring states."

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    How about sending this out to our friendly knowledgeable represetntatives in the state legislature? But I'm sure they have seen it and said "look at us we are one of the only states left that is safe just think about how all those green states are like the old west with shootouts on every corner"

The sad part is after Giffords was shot, one Maryland senator said how proud she was that Maryland was not like Arizona in terms of gun control.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    WY...No Permit Required...of residents. Visitors still need one.

Hm. Good to know, but for this map I think I'm gonna stick with the laws that apply to residents.

What is "permissive may issue"?

That means that their laws don't require them to issue carry permits, but they generally will. Think Alabama.

Before somebody asks, "special-issue" means that you may be able to get a permit under extraordinary conditions, like prior attacks or a sensitive occupation. Places like Maryland, basically.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Rhode Island is a messed up one. The law actually says Shall Issue, but the Attorney General has hog tied the sheriffs into a may issue.

That one state may be as simple as removing the current AG.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Like I said before, though, "may-issue" isn't enough. Each town has discretion, and I'm trying to map what they actually do -- not just what they are empowered to do by law. Otherwise I'd be coloring Alabama the same way as Maryland or New Jersey

If you are attempting to create a map that represents LAW then the entire state is May Issue....that is the LAW..

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

If you're trying to create a map that demonstrates the LIKELYHOOD that local LEO will give you a class a ltc if you say pretty pretty please then this is a pointless exercise that is impossible and constantly changing as LEO's retire/move/etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom