• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjkblack

Dec 28, 2010
    Huntingtown
    Hello all...I am new to Calvert County/MD and had a quick question. I may be purchasing some land behind my house (about 15 acres), and it has a nice area where it would be perfect for target practice (down in a valley with a nice large hill to the back...natural backstop). My question is this...can you do target practice with various rifles on your own property? I asked a neighbor and he thinks you can only shoot rifles at authorized rifle ranges? What about clays? (again, on my own property)...thanks for any insight.

S Black

BigBlaze

FX4life
    Jul 26, 2009
    Huntingtown
    I was told by a Calvert county sheriff that you need only be 150 yards from the nearest domicile to be in the good on your own property... I shoot in the woods behind my parents house in huntingtown all the time...

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I was told by a Calvert county sheriff that you need only be 150 yards from the nearest domicile to be in the good on your own property... I shoot in the woods behind my parents house in huntingtown all the time...

That's my understanding as well. I spend a fair bit of time in Calvert and have heard that from several folks including close friends of the Sherrif, though I've got no direct confirmation. Sounds like the neighbor may be speaking to his wishes rather than the facts... which could, of course, augur other difficulties...

good luck!

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Well, if you have "vigorous" local authorities...it's always good to talk to them and find out what the "current" laws are. I've been shooting shotguns (hunting, targets & dog training) on the C&D Canal for +35yrs. Was testing, for function, a recently built HD Rem1100. Local Wildlife Agent stopped, was very nice cause I know him from takin my kids fishin there alot, and informmed me that I was illegal cause the law had changed several years ago. Only dog training and hunting for shotguns NOW...target shooting (which is pretty much what I was doin, cycling various rounds into big cardboard boxes) is now illegal. That was my warning. See what your LEOs have to say.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    The information about 150 yards is correct, although you can shoot closer than that with written permission from the property owner. You would also be responsible for your projectiles so make sure you have a good backstop and possibly a baffle to prevent any errant shots.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    also check to see if there is any noise ordnances around you.

My friend was training his dog in laplata in a large open field on private property he was using a training aid that used a 22 short blank that launched a rubber duck so the dog can retrieve it. The neighbors called the police and he was made to stop using the training device because of the noise.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Don't know the legalities from county to county or statewide.
    We have about 6 acres and nearest neighbor is 300 feet or so.
    I just spoke with the 3 neighbors you can see from here and they were OK with it. I just try to shoot between 9am and 4pm. No problems in 9 years.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    better yet invite your neighbors to shoot with you. Just like if you are going to have a noisy late party invite your neighbors, they will be less likley to complain if they are with you

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Also - be smart with what you are shooting. We shoot clays and the BP rifle, but only in cooler weather when windows of houses are closed. We shoot .22 anytime, but prefer to use subsonic target ammo to minimize noise (and get better results anyway!)

heck - you don't even need hearing protection with .22 subs out of a rifle.

Shooting a .357 or a 30-06 is a MUCH louder thing....

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I printed out the code section and keep it with me when I shoot on my property.
    Code of Calvert County
    Title 15, subtitle 1.
    15-102. Permission required.
    (a)Except for a law enforcement officer in the line of duty or as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person may not discharge a firearm:
    (1)Within 150 yards of a building which can be used as a residence, whether occupied or vacant; or
    (2)On any property owned by another person or by Calvert County without evidence of permission on his person.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    That's my understanding as well. I spend a fair bit of time in Calvert and have heard that from several folks including close friends of the Sherrif, though I've got no direct confirmation. Sounds like the neighbor may be speaking to his wishes rather than the facts... which could, of course, augur other difficulties...

good luck!

To hell with the neighbor if it's legal--- you have rights as a property holder! Have fun!

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    To hell with the neighbor if it's legal--- you have rights as a property holder! Have fun!

You have a valid point as well, but he neighbors have rights as well, the repeated gunfire can disturber them.

Think about this, how would you feel if you work midnight shift and you are trying to get some sleep and your neighbor is blasting away with his guns keeping you awake. How would you feel

You neighbors have a right to enjoy there property in peace as you have a right to enjoy yours

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    You have a valid point as well, but he neighbors have rights as well, the repeated gunfire can disturber them.

Think about this, how would you feel if you work midnight shift and you are trying to get some sleep and your neighbor is blasting away with his guns keeping you awake. How would you feel

You neighbors have a right to enjoy there property in peace as you have a right to enjoy yours

Agreed ( I was being a little facetious...) but that's why people buy acreage-- so they can do what they want-- to an extent... Good fences make good neighbors.... common courtesy goes a long way...... the people I really feel sorry for are those that buy in a particular area based on current zoning laws only to have them changed down the road....

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I agree, that is why I said the best thing to do is when you shoot invite yur neighbors to shoot with you. it could build friendship and understanding, and then less likley to complain

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm

:lol2: Friend - what we have here is a statute allowing shooting at 150 yards from an inhabitable dwelling - except IIRC Howard County may have changed theirs due to a recent incident. The projectile also may not "transverse the property of another."

Yes - neighbors have the right to enjoy their property; however, that is all covered by the shooting statute and noise ordinance.

I shoot in Harford County, on 7 acres. The police have shown up a number of times. Initially they were tools - real jerks. They told me plainly I could not shoot there.

I sent a fax, certified letter and a call to the Sheriff. We got it all straightened out :D.

I can't remember the noise statute for that county off the top of my head, but it was something crazy - like 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., so the neighbor who called is simply SOL. If we added night shift folks, you'd hardly be able to fart without breaking the law and "disturber" someone.

I talked with the neighbor who called, was polite and told them they can holler over any time. Bottom line was this: I would be willing to restrict my "range time" out of the goodness of my heart, but calling the police was NOT the way to go about starting a civil discourse and if they wanted me to stop shooting there all together, they were on a fool's errand.

Now, since there are statutes, and I adhere to them - I am respecting their property rights as the law requires.

What we have here is folks moving to the "country" and not wanting to embrace anything beyond less congestion. The country is a package deal, so when the neighbors start target practice, it's silly to pee your pants and call the po-po.

I haven't seen the police in maybe the last 10X I have gone. They know me, they know it's me down there and the last time, Harford County didn't even dispatch officers. The guy must have called 911 or MSP as 3 of them showed up, were very polite and told the guy - no laws are being broken.

Everyone has rights, but don't expect me to surrender mine because they may offend you. Unless my neighbor wants to pay the monthly tab on the joint, he's out of luck.

BTW - "their," "there," and "they're" are different :nono:

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    What we have here is folks moving to the "country" and not wanting to embrace anything beyond less congestion. [U said:
    The country is a package deal.......
    [/U]
    Everyone has rights, but don't expect me to surrender mine because they may offend you. :

well put!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom