• ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Not what I had hoped for :mad54:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/1...rom-cmp-chief-operating-officer-mark-johnson/

1911-660x371.png

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Im pretty surprised by that price, $1K for "rack grade" is pretty stiff. Low end 2ndary market isnt even that much.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    From TFA

The Secretary of the Army has to officially release the pistols to the CMP and there currently is no Secretary of the Army. Consequently, the release of the pistols is dependent on who next fills that post.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    They will sell every last one and would be stupid to charge any less. Surplus 1911s sell everyday in that range or higher.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    They will sell every last one and would be stupid to charge any less. Surplus 1911s sell everyday in that range or higher.

I thought CMP was sort of a "civic" organization that used to try to get people into the shooting sport and re-issue military arms at affordable prices to expand the shooting sports? $1,000 a pop seems like an effort to capitalize on the opportunity, which is fine, but what is the mission statement of CMP?

Edit: I found the mission statement. 501(c)(3) organization.

screen_shot_2016-01-22_at_4.26.55_pm.png

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I thought CMP was sort of a "civic" organization that used to try to get people into the shooting sport and re-issue military arms at affordable prices to expand the shooting sports? $1,000 a pop seems like an effort to capitalize on the opportunity, which is fine, but what is the mission statement of CMP?

Affordable? That was the old DCM program.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010

Edit: I found the mission statement. 501(c)(3) organization.

screen_shot_2016-01-22_at_4.26.55_pm.png

The sale of surplus firearms is just the means to the end. When all the guns are gone they won't have much of an income stream to continue their existence.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Surplus firearms go to the Army from all of the services and from returned MAP sources, and the Army turns them over to the CMP. They don't pay for the guns, except for storage, inspection, rebuilding, etc. Most of the ammo they sell they do pay for, however.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    CMP has had a change in management. Up until recently, the goal was to move rifles. Now under Mark Johnson it's more about maximizing (to a point) the profits to keep CMP alive indefinitely. So before, there might be a short blast of, say, M1 Carbines at low prices, now those carbines go to the CMP online auction site. So I carbine that the market would basically say was worth $850 now goes for $1200. Part of that is auction fever, part is that's it's a guarantee of authenticity (a lot of fake carbine parts out there), but a major part of it is the enormous goodwill a lot of people have for the CMP and it's mission.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Get 2 1927's and still have some change..

Yes I will be trying to get one of these :)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    $1,000 for an authentic piece of military history, I think that's not too bad.
    This one cost me a total of $625 to build using all new mil-spec parts, not including the cost of the jig.

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpg
      IMG_1359.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 460

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The problem Is these won't be ww1 or ww2 Era guns. They will be mix masters. $1k will be high for a low end beat up 1911 mix master. I'm sure they will sell them, but I will wait until I see what is coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom