• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    To the people that get defensive when guys here get on them about refinishing stocks or sporterizing, "just a Mosin"-please remember that just a tiny variation can change the value of a seemingly regular Mosin. For this reason, please check with fellow collectors before you want to, "improve" your rifle.
    In this case, it was done awhile ago, but the principle remains.

Oh what a difference just one little stamp makes...
    I would consider this a $1500-$2000 mistake :sad20:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 2,086

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Sorry guys- my computer was acting up and not letting me put more than one pic in the original post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 2,076

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! A genuine COSSACK!!!!! Yup, that KA3 stamp does indeed make a huge difference. Mistake is a gross understatement. For anyone who might be tempted to make light of this just remember that for those of us who have spent decades dedicated to preserving and collecting history there is nothing uglier than this. I know it was someone's property to do with what they wished but this is akin to taking a Shelby Cobra with a known racing history and turning it into a low rider. What they did to this example can't be walked back to it's original condition, that's been lost forever. It could be restored in a fashion but that's as good as it would get. There's a reason why some websites that are collector focused ban threads about sporterizing. It's too contentious.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There was a guy in a Virginia forum trying to sell his sporterized Mauser for the same price as a non-molested version. His has all of the stamps intact, apparently a special Mauser someone thoughtlessly sporterized when Mausers were a dime a dozen.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    ******* bubbbas. You can always tell a Bubba..it's the guy hanging out in a gun shop wearing a NRA hat and tan shooting vest at 8pm. And he wants to "sporterize" everything he looks at, including your wife.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Please school me. What mark makes the difference?

I'll let h2u school everyone on Cossacks. I will say this to those new to MNs. When you see the curved Konovalov rear sight leaf it's time to pay close attention. That's one of the easy markers to look for when scanning listings and gun show racks.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Most bubba'ng is idiotic just based on the cost, if you plan to do anything beyond butchering the stock and throwing some tidy-bowl-color color blue on it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    At least when bubba takes a dremel to a rare gun, all the other ones that are left in their original condition get even rarer and are worth even more.
    Of course it doesn't help the people looking to buy one, but in a way it does help the people who already own one that isn't butchered.

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    To the people that get defensive when guys here get on them about refinishing stocks or sporterizing, "just a Mosin"-please remember that just a tiny variation can change the value of a seemingly regular Mosin. For this reason, please check with fellow collectors before you want to, "improve" your rifle.
    In this case, it was done awhile ago, but the principle remains.

Oh what a difference just one little stamp makes...
    I would consider this a $1500-$2000 mistake :sad20:

Was it just the stock that was cut or was the barrel cut as well ?
    If it was only the stock would it be difficult to find a replacement stock ?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Was it just the stock that was cut or was the barrel cut as well ?
    If it was only the stock would it be difficult to find a replacement stock ?

If it was just the stock-you'd be reading about my new Cossack ;) :D

Unfortunately, the stock is cut, the bolt is bent, the barrel is shortened and a Springfield-type front sight added :sad20:
    This was a popular thing to do back in the 50's, but the damage is done. I've only seen one Cossack for sale in my six years of collecting.
    I've only seen pics of two others in that same time. This is a rifle that can truly be considered rare.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It is a shame to see such a rare piece sporterized like that.

All of those things can be fixed somewhat. It wont be 100% restored but it would be an improvement to someone who wants to do the old gal justice.

Find a donor Rifle that you can use the stock and front sight (If these Rifles used a standard Mosin Front Sight). Even with the barrel shortened the sight can be installed.

The gun can be reblued.

The bolt can be straigntened.

The donor front end wood can be shortened a few inches to accomidate the shorter barrel. Just splice it like some mosin repairs were done at armories and refinish with a period correct finish.

The cleaning Rod would probably have to be shortened to fit but that can easily be done.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I believe its only rare to the people that collect Mosins, Most likely that rifle was sporterized in the 60s or 70s because it was bought for 19.99 to 35.00. When I was a kid my grandfather would take me to Old Town Alexandria to Hunters Haven and that store had Barrels everywhere full of surplus rifles for sale for almost nothing. You could walk down the waterfront and peek in Interarms warehouses at the import guns and ammo were stacked 20' tall.They were everywhere for sale Roses, Kmart, local hardware stores, NRA, And gun shows.
    Its not like its Audie Murphy's M1 Garand, To most of the world its just a old Mosin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom