• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a repro Mosin sniper rifle (from Cabelas in PA). I have spent some time at the range (and online learning about how things work) getting it somewhat dialed in. Also working the trigger from over 8 pounds with a LOT of creep, down to just under 4 pounds with a small amount of creep.

But over the weekend, I took it down to Bang Steel range (review of Bang Steel course here - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=128601) while down there shooting the .308 again.

So I finalized the 0 at 200 yards and then played some on the longer range steel. I started at 535 yards with the scope set to 5 on the elevation. Elevation was good, and then had to dial in some windage. It seems that the windage knob gradations are at 1/2 MOA per line. Got about a 3rd round hit.

Then stepped out to 600 yards. This time I had to tweek the elevation a bit, but got on the steel with a couple of rounds. And followed it up with two more hits.

Then for real fun, stepped out to 763 yards on a 12" square plate (about 1.5 MOA). It took about 3 - 4 rounds to get on target with a bit more windage and a tweek of elevation. But managed to bang the steel at 763 yards with a 1943 rifle. :)

I was shooting PPU 182 gr ammunition.

Great fun. Hardest part was finding the targets with a fixed 3.5x scope. :)

Much harder than with my .308.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Sounds like lots of fun, My son has a few Mosins and I have finely found some new boxer brass that we will load this winter, And he wants to shoot a High PowerMatch next summer with his 53 carbine he just bought. It will be interesting lol

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I gotta own a mosin. There lOng and strange looking but that cartridge is just massive! I also want a 444 marlin

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, PU scope, but AFAIK, modern repro scope, not original. But I wanted something to shoot, not collect.

7.62x54R is similar ballistics to the .308 or .30-06 range of cartidges.

Realize that the average distance for a Soviet sniper shot in WWII was 50 yards. They were fighting in the streets of Stalingrad mostly.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like my Czech sniper rifle even if the police modified it from original. I need a cheap Mosin to fire the rest of my PPU ammo so I can reload for my Vz52/91, now that I have it sighted in.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I have three M91-30's, including an authentic "Izzy" sniper rifle, dated 1943, but not with the original PU scope. I get 1 3/4" MOA, 5 shot group at 100 yards with corrosive ammo with my Mosin sniper. My fellow shooter at AGC at Marriottsville gets 1" MOA @ 100 yards with his Mosin sniper, by pulling the bullets from 7.62X54R corrosive ammo and replacing them with Sierra MatchKing's

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A guy on Sniper's Hide got much better accuracy by reloading spam can corrosive ammo.

But what he did was to pull the bullets, weigh EVERY powder charge, then rebuild the rounds, with the exact average powder charge. Even using the original bullets, the accuracy was much better.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A guy on Sniper's Hide got much better accuracy by reloading spam can corrosive ammo.

But what he did was to pull the bullets, weigh EVERY powder charge, then rebuild the rounds, with the exact average powder charge. Even using the original bullets, the accuracy was much better.

Been thinking of doing this

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

You could do that, or buy reloadable brass cases ones from PPU. Apparently, the S&B brass isn't as good as the PPU.

ksy95

Mar 11, 2013
    Sounds like a blast! The farthest I've taken my 91/30 out is 300 yards and I had a terrible hit-miss ratio of like 1:2. It was incredibly satisfying seeing that first shot land on the target though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am shooting PPU right now. I looked, new PPU cases are around $50 per 100.

For $67.50 - $82.50, you can get 100 rounds of PPU ammunition. Shoot it and end up with once fired cases. :)

Or you could get Lapua brass for over $1 EACH.

Sirex