• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • november

Dec 4, 2015
    Hello from Carroll County! First of all I would to extend a general thanks to everyone for the wonderful resources available here. I will soon be purchasing my first firearm, a 10/22, and hope to attend marksmanship classes to become proficient with it.

Any advice for the new guy? Currently looking for ranges I can perhaps visit and learn a few things from. I hear the Hap Baker range is great but can be busy. What would be the proper etiquette when first visiting a range?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome . Useful links will arive shortly.

As to your specific inquiry :

1. Let the Range Ofc/ RAnge Staff know you are new, they will fill you in.

2. Post here on MDS , someone will probably be able to join you with some notice.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    do some research on the internet regarding MARYLAND LAW, FIREARMS, TRANSPORTATION and STORAGE. don't get too wrapped up in the "marksman thing" at this point. instead, consider getting instruction with a qualified instructor. he or she will be able to mentor your ambitions and hopefully coach you to your desired result(s).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Welcome. NRA Basic Rifle is a good place to start and Appleseed is a great place to sharpen skills on a .22 semi

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Welcome to the forum and on the choice of a tried and true rifle: Ruger 10/22.

The Ruger 10/22 is very versatile and can modified in many ways.

As for ranges, depending on where you are in Frederick, you have your choice of indoor ranges and outdoor ranges.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Currently looking for ranges I can perhaps visit and learn a few things from. I hear the Hap Baker range is great but can be busy. What would be the proper etiquette when first visiting a range?

To answer this question directly:

Each range has slightly different rules. To someone new to firearms and shooting, I would recommend finding someone who has shot at the range you wish to shoot at and go there with them. Let them set up and shoot, follow their lead. Some ranges have Range Safety Officers. Inform them and ask them to directly supervise.

november

Dec 4, 2015
    Welcome. NRA Basic Rifle is a good place to start and Appleseed is a great place to sharpen skills on a .22 semi

This is the current plan, going to attend a NRA Basic Rifle course and then an Appleseed one things warm up a bit.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is the current plan, going to attend a NRA Basic Rifle course and then an Appleseed one things warm up a bit.

Because of the logisitics involved Basic Rifle is not given frequently

Hal Noer is giving his class at the end of this month. Info says Frederick, but I think he uses the Boyscout range near Thurmont. A real heated "shoot house" if the weather turns out to be bad. He supplys guns if you don't have one of your own and for the oppertunity to shoot guns with other actions and larger calibers. The class is a nice experience even if you are familiar with firearms.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/Cours...ip=21037&radius=200.1&id=1&bsa=&youth=&women=

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I love to see new people becoming involved in firearms. I have owned guns for a long time but only recently found this forum. The members are awesome and have helped me tremendously in my quest for the elusive MD CCW Permit.

The ruger 10/22 is an awesome gun. I own one already (takedown version) and plan to buy a new one a project gun to use my .22 suppressor on.

My only suggestion is to take a trip to PA / VA / DE ect and buy some BX 25 magazines. Stick to Ruger mags as i have had problems with the off-brand ones.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Welcome!

I appreciate your honesty in being a noob. Many claim to be universal experts in all subjects.

Just go slow. Learn and remember the 4 basics of firearms safety.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    We may have been snookered again. Appears november man only ever posted twice.

Good practice, and I'm guessing we are batting about 700 with regard to legitimate posters who are interest. Half of them eventually learn the facts and decide for themselves to join our fight. We've seen our ranks grow 1000x over the last 10 years, I credit everyone active today, and the original attorneys that started this whole idea. One was a Democrat, one a Republican, and one an Independent. Today the folks leading this cause are mostly moderates of both parties and independents.

The truth is on our side. Just educate people, they will learn the truth for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom