• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I think the academy is 6 months and the training is obviously. Law, firearms and defensive tactics be it driving or hand to hand. Not sure what else may be tossed in someone will chime in.

hank440

Apr 8, 2009
    Don't forget guys B-more is about to go bankrupt, how would you like to be half or three quarters through the academy and have them cancel the class due to lack of funds. :lol2:

Nov 18, 2012
    Afghanistan,Kabul
    Unfortunately past drug use auto disqualifies me; I tired when I separated from the af
    Yeah welcome to the club.....I have a disorderly conduct in 1997 when I was 18 in ocean city.......even though I have a flawless career in the USMC as well as army and a year deployment to Afghanistan and I have a secret and department of state clearance while I provide diplomatic security to one of the most dangerous embassy's in the world??? State police will take me but Baltimore city says no?

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Is it possible to work as a Baltimore leo and go to school? Also what is the pay like?

DieHard4192

Jan 16, 2013
    Charles County
    Is it possible to work as a Baltimore leo and go to school? Also what is the pay like?

BPD like all other police agencies in Maryland require you to attend an academy for about 25 weeks full time. While I suppose it would be possible to take night and weekend classes to attend school while in the academy it would be pretty difficult and I'd assume performance in both would likely suffer.

Per the website linked in the first post: "The starting salary for a Police Officer Trainee is $43,136. Regular raises based on years of service are incorporated into the salary scale. An additional Educational Incentive program is available to applicants with a four-year college degree. Successful entrance into this program will result in a higher annual salary."

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    As a BPD member, I would advise ANY applicant to seriously think about going elsewhere. There is no tax base in Baltimore City and we are constantly fighting with the powers that be in City Hall for the basics. We are still without a contract since July 2012 and some City agencies are getting ready to sit down for their 2013-2014 contracts. You have a Judicial system that is a joke, an arrest procedure that deals with a State Agency (CBIF) that does nothing but tie up the officer and then cuts the suspect loose without charge. The $$ is a joke. Retirement benefits are getting worse and you now have to work 25 years to get a pension (Which might not be available in 2038) Unfortunately politics runs rampant in the agency and Political Correctness is more important than good Police work or quality leadership.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Yeah welcome to the club.....I have a disorderly conduct in 1997 when I was 18 in ocean city.......even though I have a flawless career in the USMC as well as army and a year deployment to Afghanistan and I have a secret and department of state clearance while I provide diplomatic security to one of the most dangerous embassy's in the world??? State police will take me but Baltimore city says no?

Go with the Troopers. They will always get State support because they know too many secrets about the Governor and legislature. Think about this: When was the last time you saw a Trooper driving a car that looked like a rolling piece of garbage or was wearing a uniform that looked like a shit sandwich?

Torin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2012
    As a BPD member, I would advise ANY applicant to seriously think about going elsewhere. There is no tax base in Baltimore City and we are constantly fighting with the powers that be in City Hall for the basics. We are still without a contract since July 2012 and some City agencies are getting ready to sit down for their 2013-2014 contracts. You have a Judicial system that is a joke, an arrest procedure that deals with a State Agency (CBIF) that does nothing but tie up the officer and then cuts the suspect loose without charge. The $$ is a joke. Retirement benefits are getting worse and you now have to work 25 years to get a pension (Which might not be available in 2038) Unfortunately politics runs rampant in the agency and Political Correctness is more important than good Police work or quality leadership.

Wowzers!!! Methinks he speaketh the truth!!

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Go with the Troopers. They will always get State support because they know too many secrets about the Governor and legislature. Think about this: When was the last time you saw a Trooper driving a car that looked like a rolling piece of garbage or was wearing a uniform that looked like a shit sandwich?

Don't think the State is that much better off. I can tell you for a fact there are a vast number of MDSP cars out there with a quarter million miles or more with transmissions that barely hold on and top speeds not much faster than the speed limit on I-70. They did get the authority to purchase a dozen or so new ones, but when you have several hundred cars on the road, it's hardly enough to get the job done.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD

Any agency that issues take home cars is that way. Police who get their own car keep them maintained and clean, why should a baltimore county guy pick old french fries from under his pool car when he wont be driving it for the next 16 hrs.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Don't think the State is that much better off. I can tell you for a fact there are a vast number of MDSP cars out there with a quarter million miles or more with transmissions that barely hold on and top speeds not much faster than the speed limit on I-70. They did get the authority to purchase a dozen or so new ones, but when you have several hundred cars on the road, it's hardly enough to get the job done.

Truth. I have a lot of buddies who are troopers and all said the same thing. Go elsewhere. I did, and I ain't looking back.

-Z

m33p

Feb 17, 2012
    My best friend's dad is a BCP LEO. Big props to him and anyone else who serves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom