• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I put in an application for a permit yesterday. I expected a crowd, but this was not the case. I walked right up to the window and was helped imminently by a pleasant uniformed officer. The whole process with finger prints and photo took less then 45 minuets and I saw two other people apply while I was there. An easy, pleasant experience especially in contrast to the hectic rush hour Metro ride to get there.

The officer's first question was "Have you applied before?" so they are ready for those that have been turned down previously. It sounds like previous applicants will get expedited treatment.

I asked if they have have been busy since the ruling came out last week and the friendly police woman said no.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    This it?

Anyone who is in the hopper and was denied, try this.

Back on Tue Oct 10th when I submitted that form it was all that was required for persons who were denied and are reapplying. On Friday I was told by Officer Brown that they were told to no longer take just the form from persons who are reapplying. They now have to also submit a new application, so be prepared.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I put in an application for a permit yesterday. I expected a crowd, but this was not the case. I walked right up to the window and was helped imminently by a pleasant uniformed officer. The whole process with finger prints and photo took less then 45 minuets and I saw two other people apply while I was there. An easy, pleasant experience especially in contrast to the hectic rush hour Metro ride to get there.

The officer's first question was "Have you applied before?" so they are ready for those that have been turned down previously. It sounds like previous applicants will get expedited treatment.

I asked if they have have been busy since the ruling came out last week and the friendly police woman said no.

Doesn't surprise me at all. With all the time, aggravation, money spent on this it's no wonder people are skipping out even if they're guaranteed a permit if they navigate all the hoops.
    I'm sure the WaPo and other leftist rags will say, "See! No one wants the permit here!". If DC was smart they'd simply require what VA requires and make some money for their department.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the little known portion of DC code that John Lott is referring to in his map. It does prohibit carry within 1000 feet of schools, video arcades, public housing and some other locations. Some in DC say it's an add on charge. it seems very confusing to me. this is just an FYI.

It is not contained on the MPDC web site AFAIK, nor on handgunlaw.us.

Handgun law is aware of it. It is felt to be unenforceable.

https://beta.code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/22-4502.01.html

Attachments

• dca.jpg
      dca.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 247
    • dcb.jpg
      dcb.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 255
    • dcc.jpg
      dcc.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 248
    • dcd.jpg
      dcd.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 255

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think it's worth noting that none of that language was contained in the DC Carry Act that was passed in 2015, not is it mentioned i the DCMR.

The DC carry law is newer that that code I posted so maybe DC has no intention of enforcing it.

IANAL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The way I read it, the mere act of carry within 1000 feet of one of these places is a crime.

No other crime need be committed.

is this correct?

it seems DC knows this law is a fustercluck

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The way I read it, the mere act of carry within 1000 feet of one of these places is a crime.

No other crime need be committed.

is this correct?

it seems DC knows this law is a fustercluck

The way I read it the section does not apply to someone who is licensed AND lives or works in that GFZ.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i was just trying for clarification. It seems you don't need to be committing a crime to be charged. If you don't live or work inside the 1000 foot zone, carrying IS the crime.

Penalties and fines double.

I don't recall the fine structure, but IIRC most violations can be up to 180 days, so you could get 360 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom