• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    From Yahoo Answers. Maybe they changed the thread.

Resolved Question
    Show me another »
    Is the Maverick 88 really any less nice than the Mossberg 500 (quality-wise)?
    As a multi-purpose gun (target, fun, skeet, home defense, hunting, etc. etc.).

* 4 weeks ago

Report Abuse
    Karle by Karle

Total points:
    40,904 (Level 7)

* Add Contact
    * Block

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
    they are similar .....IF and only IF u want to leave both guns stock ...........

what i mean is the parts are the same just the 88 is made in a plant in mexico and assembled in the US...whereas the 500 is made here assembled here....

differences are the model 88 don't come tapped and drilled for any of mossbergs accessories......so if u want to add a scope or ever a side mount shell holder the 500 would actually b cheaper than the 889 since u would have to pay a gunsmith or machine shop to tap and drill mounting holes and such...

** also on the 88 model the screw that holds the stock is metric thread and the 500 its sae.....meaning u will have to hunt down a bolt to use if u want to add a standard mossberg pistol grip....since they don't make near as many specifically for the 88 and are harder to find...

** yea older model 88's only had a bar on one side so had issues......all the newer ones are fine tho...
    Source(s):
    finish quality isn't quite as nice on the 88 vrs the 500 but its the base model so to be expected...

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    IIRC, a subtle difference between the 88 and the 500 is the thread on the bolt that holds the stock on. If you change the stock on an 88 to one made for the 500, make sure the threads match. On the 88, I read the thread is metric, and on the 500, it's standard.

That's what I've heard (and heard echoed here) but maybe the more recent ones are different. The bolt from my 500 threaded right in to the receiver of my 88. I tried it without the stock, just to try the fitment. It worked equally well using the 88 bolt on the 500 receiver. Threaded in smooth by hand.

The 88 also used to only have a single transfer bar on the slide, but it now has two just like the 500. Again, maybe a later design change. I got mine in 2001.

chippeddler

I Have A Shotgun Fetish
    Feb 26, 2010
    North of the Border
    I put on a Knoxx SpecOps stock on my 88 that was made for a 500. It fit perfect.

I had an issue fitting a Knoxx Stock to a Glenfield-branded Mossberg though...

The 88 is worth it an for $200 it's a great deal.

This is good to know. I just purchased one last weekend at the gun show in york. Got mine for $229 NIB.:D

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    The two 88's I got for the boys were about that price ($220) from White Marsh Guns. I think they're a great value.

chippeddler

I Have A Shotgun Fetish
    Feb 26, 2010
    North of the Border
    I broke mine in today at the Fall Shoot at Mardela Springs. Between myself, my buddy Erik( EWO ) and a couple other guys, we put about 50 rounds of #8 Winchester trap loads through it. Ran flawlessly, I couldn't be happier.

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    Yes, I went back and got it this week. Came with 3 different stocks and was either rarely fired or cleaned incredibly well so $200 OTD was good enough for me. My oldest son has already claimed it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom