• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • _JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    I really like the Hobie's, they fact that you can maneuver and not have to deal with paddling would be ideal especially fishing calmer waters. I have a sit on top Perception Sport Caster and a Future Beach sit in kayak. I'd trade them both for a Hobie in a second to have that ability to fish a hole and not deal with anchoring etc.

I like the sport caster in the summer because I get a free flow of water so it keeps me cool when its blazing hot out. The Future beach works well for hunting and when the weather is cold enough that I'd prefer to stay dry. Picked up the Future beach one on Black Friday a few years back for 200 at Dicks, and I really like the stability of it. It's got a wide and nearly flat bottom.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    This is me from my first trip.

All I've caught there that's big enough to eat is catfish. Its near Gunpowder. I've pier fished in that area plenty but only on the kayak two times. I've heard of people catching bass there but I haven't seen it. I'd like to try different spots near there and maybe try some different things. Considered buying that guy's book. I have zero idea on how to troll with a kayak or even a boat for that matter. Total amateur fisher and I basically just put hook/worm on a top bottom rig and throw it in the water. I use a bobber if I want to be lazy or I'm using a couple rods. I found a pier where spinners work really well and next time I go out on the kayak I plan on trying them out a bit for fun, but all I've ever caught with them are a bunch of really small perch.

I was concerned on how to keep the fish, but after trying it I definitely think a stringer is the best option. Its kinda funny listening to the catfish beat against the side of your kayak and a big enough one will actually pull you around a little. Next purchase will probably be a small anchor. :lol2:

Attachments

• 2662841914620421006.jpg
      2662841914620421006.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 328

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Had to go to a canoe, the 7 yr old likes it. Man that thing is slow compared to a yak.
    Fishing has sucked on the Magothy this year:sad20:

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Launch from private prop. at the end of magothy beach rd. I target white perch but also catch cats,yellow perch,sunnys, small rock,pike, and one time a small mouth bass. Well at least I used to. A few years back I had no problem catching 15-20 keepers

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Went to my buddy's place on Parker Creek next to Herring Bay. Super shallow with silt bottom. Saw TONS of surface action but couldn't get anything to take my lure/bait. I stayed in the cove but in hind site should have tried the mouth of Herring Bay.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Went to my buddy's place on Parker Creek next to Herring Bay. Super shallow with silt bottom. Saw TONS of surface action but couldn't get anything to take my lure/bait. I stayed in the cove but in hind site should have tried the mouth of Herring Bay.

If you get out that way again, go in Herring Bay. Just inside the bay from the Holland Point side look for a nice house with a red roof and an osprey nest on a pole at the pier. About 100 yds straight out from that is the old oyster bed. White perch all over along with resident stripers and some flounder if you're lucky.

I used to kayak fish 3-5 days/nights a week all over the place and that was usually my "home" spot for the evenings after work. Herring bay is a killer spot for night fishing in the kayak too. Nice and calm. The needlefish all over the surface there at night is cool as well.

You can also launch cartop boats for free at Rose Haven Park on Herring Bay (pic of the Rose Haven launch attached)

Attachments

• herring bay launch-reduced.jpg
      herring bay launch-reduced.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 220

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    If you get out that way again, go in Herring Bay. Just inside the bay from the Holland Point side look for a nice house with a red roof and an osprey nest on a pole at the pier. About 100 yds straight out from that is the old oyster bed. White perch all over along with resident stripers and some flounder if you're lucky.

I used to kayak fish 3-5 days/nights a week all over the place and that was usually my "home" spot for the evenings after work. Herring bay is a killer spot for night fishing in the kayak too. Nice and calm. The needlefish all over the surface there at night is cool as well.

You can also launch cartop boats for free at Rose Haven Park on Herring Bay (pic of the Rose Haven launch attached)

I spotted the house last Sunday while paddling back in. Heading out that way in the next hour. Hope to get some night fishing in tonight, depending on the weather.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, what's the best bait for crab pots? We've been using chicken legs and necks. Someone said to try fried chicken.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I spotted the house last Sunday while paddling back in. Heading out that way in the next hour. Hope to get some night fishing in tonight, depending on the weather.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, what's the best bait for crab pots? We've been using chicken legs and necks. Someone said to try fried chicken.

Sorry, just saw this. Hope everything went well!

I don't do much crabbing, but I've heard Alewife is the best thing to bait the pots.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    For most of the past year or two I have been fishing from a jetski. This summer I’ve been shopping around for a kayak so I can get into some harder to access spots for fishing. Last weekend I remembered my in-laws had an old sailboat down in the crawlspace of their basement. After inquiring about it they tell me they think the sail is dry rotted, and the keel is broken and needs some fiberglass work, it is probably about 30 yrs old (1972-1984) and hasn’t been used since Isabel in 03. Once I dig it out it appears the boat is a super snark brand. They are vacuum molded abs over foam, sometimes they are called car-top boats or beer cooler boats. I couldn’t find the sail but I don’t care about that because I just want the hull. There isn’t really a keel on the boat but there is a dagger board (acts like a keel) and a rudder. The ABS has some cracks in it that may eventually get fixed but considering the foam body it should float even with holes. The hull has the following

specs.

Length: 11’

Width: 3’-2”

Capacity: 310lbs

Weight: 50lbs

I told my wife I was going to get the boat. Her reply was “oh great more junk, you are a pack rat”. She then tells me I have a budget of $60 for repairs and accessories and it needs to be fishable by fall or it’s going in the trash. I inform her that $60 won’t even cover a paddle and fishing life vest. So she ups it to $75. I think I can manage that, so challenge accepted. I picked the boat up on Wednesday. For size reference the first pic shows it on top of my jeep liberty. It fits nicely in the back of my truck.

Start with the dagger board and rudder getting hosed, scrubbed, and several coats of BLO. It's getting a concrete homemade anchor that is currently drying. I picked up a life vest and paddle from dicks with a coupon. So total I have $52 invested into this.

So initial testing Saturday morning reveals that due to the width of the boat it is stable enough to stand up in even without the dagger board. The boat tracks nice and straight when paddling. The hole for the mast works as a rod holder for now till I can make some. The only issue was the drip rings on the paddle were dripping into the boat.

Attachments

• 150729_001.jpg
      150729_001.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 140
    • fishing setup.jpg
      fishing setup.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 139
    • fish.jpg
      fish.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 135

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    For most of the past year or two I have been fishing from a jetski. This summer I’ve been shopping around for a kayak so I can get into some harder to access spots for fishing. Last weekend I remembered my in-laws had an old sailboat down in the crawlspace of their basement. After inquiring about it they tell me they think the sail is dry rotted, and the keel is broken and needs some fiberglass work, it is probably about 30 yrs old (1972-1984) and hasn’t been used since Isabel in 03. Once I dig it out it appears the boat is a super snark brand. They are vacuum molded abs over foam, sometimes they are called car-top boats or beer cooler boats. I couldn’t find the sail but I don’t care about that because I just want the hull. There isn’t really a keel on the boat but there is a dagger board (acts like a keel) and a rudder. The ABS has some cracks in it that may eventually get fixed but considering the foam body it should float even with holes. The hull has the following

specs.

Length: 11’

Width: 3’-2”

Capacity: 310lbs

Weight: 50lbs

I told my wife I was going to get the boat. Her reply was “oh great more junk, you are a pack rat”. She then tells me I have a budget of $60 for repairs and accessories and it needs to be fishable by fall or it’s going in the trash. I inform her that $60 won’t even cover a paddle and fishing life vest. So she ups it to $75. I think I can manage that, so challenge accepted. I picked the boat up on Wednesday. For size reference the first pic shows it on top of my jeep liberty. It fits nicely in the back of my truck.

Start with the dagger board and rudder getting hosed, scrubbed, and several coats of BLO. It's getting a concrete homemade anchor that is currently drying. I picked up a life vest and paddle from dicks with a coupon. So total I have $52 invested into this.

So initial testing Saturday morning reveals that due to the width of the boat it is stable enough to stand up in even without the dagger board. The boat tracks nice and straight when paddling. The hole for the mast works as a rod holder for now till I can make some. The only issue was the drip rings on the paddle were dripping into the boat.

A Snark!
    I wish I still had the one I bought from Memco 30 years ago.

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    I was going to say the same thing. I learned how to sail on a Snark, ours had cracks i the front plastic, but that thing was a tank. And it does work well as a canoe etc.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    My wife is out of town so instead of hunting after work I had to come home and take care of the dogs. I did the next best thing and grabbed the boat and one of the dogs for some fishing.

12.25" yellow perch

Attachments

• 151005_003.jpg
      151005_003.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 101
    • 151005_002.jpg
      151005_002.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 105

Topshot

Oct 4, 2015
    I kayak fish on a daily basis in spring and summer in Maine. I bought an Emotion Glide kayak new on sale for $250. I then paid $15 to have a hole drilled on the top side stern and a rod holder put in the hole. I troll the line as i paddle. Ive caught fish as big as 23"...small and large mouth bass, trout, white perch. This is on freshwater lakes. Calm flat water. And btw the paddle is really important. Light and carbon fiber. Cost me $110. Dont waste money on a fishing kayak. Just get the hole drilled and rod holder installed.

Topshot

Oct 4, 2015
    Just want to add that im 58 and another huge factor was being able to load the kayak into car without assistance. The emotion glide weighs less than 40 lbs which makes this possible.

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    I imagine you have one of the scotty rod holders and mounts.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBNA3TW/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_i3

I have a perception sportcaster kayak that came with one and it works great. Have to pickup another one for Future Beach 126 that serves as my retrieval kayak for duck season, and the colder weather fishing. The perception is a nice kayak but you do get soaked in the thing even with scupper plugs.

Saw this is coming out next year, i like the idea of sitting a little higher
    http://www.thekayakfishingstore.com/p/Pelican/catch120.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom