• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Can anyone identify the "alphabet" in the PDF? I'm not sure I have ever seen anything like it before. This is the 2nd clue to a fox hunt in Carroll County this Saturday (10am start). Clue 1 was in CW and since I can't seem to upload an mp3, it is "Give me liberty and give me a canoe."

First Fox Hunt of 2023 is scheduled for next Saturday (2/25) starting at 10:00 am with check-in. Attached is clue 1 of 3. Subsequent clues will be released in the coming days (Tues/Thurs) leading up to the big hunt. The chase will be most likely to succeed through combined use of transportation by vehicle and by foot. On air coordination will be through linked club repeaters. Sharing your location and bearings with fellow hunters is allowed and encouraged.

After hunt gathering to be decided upon by hunters gathered at the fox.

Specific information for fox and repeaters:
    • Fox will be transmitting on 146.565 MHz.
    • Westminster: 145.410 MHz, “-” offset 600 KHz, PL 114.8 Hz
    • Westminster: 449.875, “-” offset 5 MHz, PL 127.3 Hz
    • Sykesville: 147.285 “+” offset 600 KHz, PL 107.2 Hz

Attachments

• Clue 2_Waypoint.pdf
      214.4 KB · Views: 112

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Can anyone identify the "alphabet" in the PDF? I'm not sure I have ever seen anything like it before. This is the 2nd clue to a fox hunt in Carroll County this Saturday (10am start). Clue 1 was in CW and since I can't seem to upload an mp3, it is "Give me liberty and give me a canoe."
    I spent about an hour looking at this. I love solving encryption problems.
    I was looking for public parks which ended in the pattern ABBCD.
    Words I could try are: Miller, Woods, Valley, Supply, Greens.

The other problem is the last letter is also used twice in the middle of the phrase at positions 12 and 14. an "S" would make sense.
    I figured they would be doing this at a public park but couldn't find any in Carroll County that matched that pattern.

I don't think it's a number as there are 13 unique characters. If we add a negative symbol, a decimal and a comma then it might be LAT/Long coordinates.
    The third character is repeated at #3, 7 and 17 position. So I doubt it's a decimal.
    Maybe they put a plus symbol at front but then #4 would need to be decimal which isn't repeated in the phrase, and also first is repeated at #5.

It's probably a riddle to the location and not the proper name of the location.

Your first clue is probably the boat dock at Liberty reservoir.

Good luck and let me know what the answer is when this is over.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm thinking the reservoir also. The fellow did say there would be a little hiking involved, so I don't think it's immediately at the dock. Piney Run Park is on the short list as well due to Liberty RD and a few businesses over the years in that area with Liberty in their names.

Part of me is interested in the clues, but part of me enjoys the act of RDF itself including nothing at first and driving around until I start to hear it. I've just never seen anything like what is in the PDF.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ham Exams In Two Weeks

Tuesday, March 7, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

Walk-Ins are OK.

Pre-registration is NOT required, but is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get there). We can process you when you arrive.

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn
    )

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Side note:
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham"), would like to eventually get licensed, have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I know this might be a little bit off topic but I am looking for a good used HF Rig to receive only since I live in an apartment here in Aspen Hill area of Silver Spring,the home of 12 zip codes, and do not have much room to string a dipole antenna. I am using the magnetic loop and a couple of SDR Dongles with a converter that will let me pick up the HF range that the SDR dongles will not pick up without it.
    So what would you recommend. Budget , I would like to keep it under $300 if I can as I am going to order the remote kit for a Harris XG100M with the CH100 color control head and that is $595.
    Thanks
    Various clubs like the Anne Arundel Radio Club W3VPR.org sell donated or deceased members equipment. I know that AARC has "Open Shack" hours on Sunday so you may be able to see and test something that strikes your fancy. Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) and Gigaparts also have consignment and used sales on their website but they might not deal in anything in your price range and will probably have a higher markup than a club sale.

You may want to check out the classifieds on QTH.com https://swap.qth.com/index.php or Universal radio https://www.universal-radio.com/used/used1.html

Also QRZ.com https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/ham-radio-gear-for-sale.7/ although sellers there may be wary of buyers without callsigns they can verify.

There unfortunately are scammers on the amateur radio sites who buy equipment to swap working parts and then claim they are defective so sellers generally will not warranty their sales. Buying from a locally listed source ie. Maryland can make it possible to see the item is in working order before you buy.

Last there is Craigslist if you want to be robbed.

Bottom line is that I would peruse club offerings. You are more likely to get to see want you are buying and you could be helping a widow and their family.

Last edited:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Part of me is interested in the clues, but part of me enjoys the act of RDF itself including nothing at first and driving around until I start to hear it. I've just never seen anything like what is in the PDF.

I despise fox hunts with clues. At least, over-the-air clues.

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I know this might be a little bit off topic but I am looking for a good used HF Rig to receive only since I live in an apartment here in Aspen Hill area of Silver Spring,the home of 12 zip codes, and do not have much room to string a dipole antenna. I am using the magnetic loop and a couple of SDR Dongles with a converter that will let me pick up the HF range that the SDR dongles will not pick up without it.
    So what would you recommend. Budget , I would like to keep it under $300 if I can as I am going to order the remote kit for a Harris XG100M with the CH100 color control head and that is $595.
    Thanks
    Let me look... I might have an old receiver sitting in my basement. I got it a few years ago from someone that was going to throw it away. I've never plugged it in or turned it on. It's yours if I can find it. If interested, PM me, and I'll dig it out and get it to you.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Carroll County fox hunt, 3rd and final "clue"

Also, my wife is brilliant. She figured out clue 2 is called puzzle code and there is a key:

Attachments

• Clue 3_Waypoint 2.pdf
      222 KB · Views: 104

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Help NASA study 'grey line' propagation in the day time?

Next eclipse (October 14, 2023) provides an opportunity to experiment with propagation during the unusual atmospheric condition created and NASA will be on the air via "HamSCI".

https://science.nasa.gov/science-ne...ators-we-need-your-help-during-solar-eclipses

Even if you're not interested in NASA, you might find an opportunity to make contacts that are normally difficult/unavailable during the eclipse as the grey line is distorted.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Fox hunt update. So, I didn't find it. I knew it was around Liberty Reservoir, but I was on the wrong side of the lake. Doh. here's how the clues worked.

1st (cw) was obvious to me - give me liberty and a canoe

2nd (puzzle code) - most important clue. it spelled "monumental.dodging.tipped" which turns out is a GPS system based on 3-meter squares each identified by 3 words. https://what3words.com/ In this case it was the intersection of Rt32 and Pine Knob Road.

3rd clue was a the crossword puzzle that identified a car to spot in the parking area (2014 white Hyundai Santa Fe). I was across the bridge as I had no idea there were access points from Pine Knob Rd. My attenuator didn't work, so I couldn't reduce the signal to get a bearing due to being too close and reflected signals.

Other than still having fun, the benefit is I don't have to run the next one which allows me to hunt.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Anybody using Winlink? I've been doing WinLink Wednesday for about a month, the general check ins have been going well but have not been able to get P2P to work so I need to spend some more time on that.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Question: How many radios do you need?
    Answer: Just one more

Got my new Yaesu FT-818ND today. Yaesu discontinued manufacturing these last December. HRO got one last shipment in of which I pre-paid. Learning CW now and hope to do QRP POTA later this year.
    Jim,
    How are you learning CW? I just started with LICW.

Also, is anyone familiar with the Morserino? Not sure if this is a good thing for a beginner.

I will be going to Dayton Hamvention in May.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Jim,
    How are you learning CW? I just started with LICW.

Also, is anyone familiar with the Morserino? Not sure if this is a good thing for a beginner.

I will be going to Dayton Hamvention in May.
    I am roughly following their plan. I basically do the Morse code training web app and then tweak it to how I am making progress.

Attend as many classes as you can. The Sunday Morning "how to practice" class has been great and gives you an opportunity to ask questions about the tool.

I don't have the Morserino and don't plan on buying one. My radio, FT-450, can generate the side tone and I can use that for sending practice for now.

Use the https://morsecode.world/ tools to help send and receive as well.

I've found that sending faster spacing is better then slower. You want to train your brain to hear the patterns and not the individual ditts-and-dahs. By hearing faster then your forcing your brain into the "language" mode instead of hearing mode. You are kinda hacking your brain to skip the listening part and instead treat Morse code as a new language, which your brain is very well wired to already do.

PM me if you want to get together or have other questions. I'm still new to this too, only in my 3rd week at LICW but doing well.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My attenuator didn't work, so I couldn't reduce the signal to get a bearing due to being too close and reflected signals.

If you are close enough you might try using 2nd order or 3rd order harmonics of the frequency.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Thanks Jim. Not sure why I have so many problems answering forum questions on my phone lately. I wish it were that simple to hear code like you describe....

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ham Exams NEXT WEEK

Tuesday, March 7, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

Walk-Ins are OK.

Pre-registration is NOT required, but is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get there). We can easily process you when you arrive.

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn )

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom