• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My "manly handgun" shoots a .45-70 405 grain in a 14" barrel.

Humdi,
    Recoil management begins between the ears. Don't be afraid of it instead learn to manage it. Recoil can never be eliminated but you can learn techniques to mitigate the effects. The biggest thing is learn how to redirect the energy so the impact on you is minimized. Go to the range and watch people shooting heavy recoiling guns, the ones not being beaten to death are redirecting the energy. The phrase "roll with the punches" illustrates the idea. Google "Taming recoil" if you want some ideas.

I have taken brand new shooters shooting and had them shooting the .45-70 the first day. My grandsons were shooting it and a S&W .500 at ages 13 and 14. When I am working with people and it is time to step up in caliber and energy I always have them watch someone else shooting that gun first so they know what to expect. We have all seen the YouTube of handing some unsuspecting new shooter a heavy recoiling gun which then hits them in the head or jumps out of their hands because they weren't "expecting" the recoil.

I have never had the chance to shoot a .600 Nitro or a .577 Tyrannosaur but I look forward to it.

I'll pass. I may get better with time, but my comfort level ends at about a .308 out of my 8lb (with scope) bolt action hunting rifle. So long as I don't fugger up I can handle an easy 40-50rnds in a session with at most a mildly sore shoulder the next day (from the bench, easier off hand. A lot easier).

I can shoot heavier recoiling rounds off the bench, but I don't like it. About as heavy as I am looking is maybe a .338 federal, but I'll probably go with something around a 10lb platform to help tame things some.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Your size and experience level are the two main factors. A 20ga 5.75lb break action shotgun with low recoil slugs is hardly noticeable to me. It knocks my 76lb 9yr old son back half a step.

A .45 1911 has moderate recoil to me, I bet my wife would feel like it was snapping her wrist.

.45 was first pistol I put in my wife's hands she loved it. Then gave her a .22 to shot and she said that's weak. Now she won't shoot anything but my 1911 .45

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Lulz. I've shot up to 3" 00 buck one handed in an 18" barrel. Did it on a dare, didn't hurt too bad.

8×56R was a nice solid thump but 50 rounds of surplus no issues. I thought the Mosin was worse but it has such an F'ed up stock and cheekweld it wasn't a fair comparison.

I can handle just about anything in the standard calibers sitting but never felt the need to venture into the silly calibers (45-70, the super belted magnums, elephant guns or the various recoil monsters like the video upthread).

Humdi if'n you want I'm a member of a private club in Westminster and can teach you how to properly use a rifle as God intended.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    As God intended?
    Any type of rifle?

Dying for a lever action.
    I'm trying to convince myself that I should get it @ .22lr. It's the lever action I want, not the bear shot!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    As God intended?
    Any type of rifle?

Dying for a lever action.
    I'm trying to convince myself that I should get it @ .22lr. It's the lever action I want, not the bear shot!

Outdoors and no bench.
    There's idiosyncracies to the different styles of rifles but the basic principles remain the same.

I prefer the weekends but after 5:30 can be made to work. Shoot me a text at 443 605 8846.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Your size and experience level are the two main factors. A 20ga 5.75lb break action shotgun with low recoil slugs is hardly noticeable to me. It knocks my 76lb 9yr old son back half a step.

A .45 1911 has moderate recoil to me, I bet my wife would feel like it was snapping her wrist.

Yep. I couldn't agree more.

Kinda interesting but over these last several years (since joining this forum), I find some recoil an enjoyable part of shooting. It's like adding a third dimension to shooting. I mind recoil even on defensive firearms even less bothersome now a days. Being over weight and more experience has some advantages.

Grip strength and how one holds a firearm are critical factors.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    I'd say experience level has got more to do then size.
    140 lbs gunner and I'm over 200 but I don't feel comfortable with a handgun.
    Weight of the gun must matter too. On target handed me a heavy 1911 and said "this is meant for .45" it was heavy and felt solid, looking forward to trying it out next time.
    I'd shot a mini sig and it was wild. Turned me off to handguns right away.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Form is everything. It doesn't matter if you're 60 or 600 lbs. If your shooting form is wrong, just about any gun will rock you. Not talking about feeling recoil. Talking about results of recoil. Biomechanics.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How about just ignoring recoil and concentrate on sights and trigger.

+1

I've never worried about recoil. It's just a function of the firearm and nothing more. The only time I had an issue with recoil was during my early trap range days I shot 200 rounds with nothing more than a t-shirt between me and the shotgun stock that day. I was battered and bruised, but never stopped shooting.

As far as rifles and handguns, recoil has never been a problem. My 50 Beowulf pistol is probably the most recoil I've felt in a pistol and of course the 50 bmg in the rifle.

But like you said, if you concentrate on your sight picture, the recoil is a secondary issue.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How about just ignoring recoil and concentrate on sights and trigger.

Well, that's not a bad thing, but being an avid AR builder and shooter and reloader, I find I can't completely ignore recoil. It gives me constant feedback. It tells me if things are operating right internally or not. Whether it's time to reload(new mag) or did I just have a 'funny' round go through the gun. I'm always listening to what my gun is telling me.

Ignoring the recoil, to me, is like turning up the radio in my truck when the engine starts making a funny nose.

I think if "ignoring" you mean excepting that it is there and living with it, then I totally agree.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    No different than ignoring other shooters brass hitting you/coming into your lane, etc...

I was qualifying one time while in the AF during probe shooting guy next to me's brass kept hitting me in the neck and rolling into my shirt. I never stopped shooting but damn it sucked

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, that's not a bad thing, but being an avid AR builder and shooter and reloader, I find I can't completely ignore recoil. It gives me constant feedback. It tells me if things are operating right internally or not. Whether it's time to reload(new mag) or did I just have a 'funny' round go through the gun. I'm always listening to what my gun is telling me.

Ignoring the recoil, to me, is like turning up the radio in my truck when the engine starts making a funny nose.

I think if "ignoring" you mean excepting that it is there and living with it, then I totally agree.

I understand using recoil as a diagnostic tool. That's not in my wheelhouse.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Get a 8 gauge Goose gun shoot 100 rounds and then you'll know and learn "RECOIL" Management. Though a 12 gauge would suffice as well with 100 rds in one sitting

Rifle= Keep it tight in the shoulder indent, get good sight alignment and sight picture, control your breathing and Pull the trigger. BOOOM...

Pistol=Firm Grip, stiff wrist, good sight alignment and sight picture, don't anticipate the round, pull trigger. BOOOM...

I mean a 22lr is like a BB gun...if your so worried about recoil get sling shot or a Bow...JMO

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Get a 8 gauge Goose gun shoot 100 rounds and then you'll know and learn "RECOIL" Management. Though a 12 gauge would suffice as well with 100 rds in one sitting

Rifle= Keep it tight in the shoulder indent, get good sight alignment and sight picture, control your breathing and Pull the trigger. BOOOM...

Pistol=Firm Grip, stiff wrist, good sight alignment and sight picture, don't anticipate the round, pull trigger. BOOOM...

I mean a 22lr is like a BB gun...if your so worried about recoil get sling shot or a Bow...JMO

Bows actually have a good bit of 'recoil'. Although different than on a firearm, flinching and anticipating the shot can be an even bigger problem to overcome. There is a HUGE dwell time with bows and cross bows as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Geeking out with statistics and charts is a good thing. It can be enjoyable, and occasionly enlightening. But at present the OP is overthinking , and lacking in context.

The charts include the far extremes on either end . Not withstanding 19th Cen elephant hunters with 4 Bores , the really high end of the chart are just stunts . The lower end rounds off the essentially no recoil. ( Meaning as long as any old vague manner of technique is used, no discomfort, and no problem being back on target more quickly than sights could be aligned, or trigger be squeezed. It is only in the contextual middle where variations are meaningful.I

Since handguns were brought up by OP, I'll provide some rough rule of thumbs for context :

Up to the level of .38spl +P from 4in medium frame revolver, or 9mn std vel from a service sized pistol ( think G17) a moderately trained shooter, using any old technique, will have reasonably good control, and no discomfort . ( Control is frequently mentioned, this refers to being able to bring gun back into firing position with the rapidity suitable for the context.)

Going above that level of recoil , either from more powerful loading, or lighter gun , will at some point require different technique to deal with the recoil, a degradation in control, or some combination therof. And potentiality discomfort to hand, although that is exponentially more a factor of the fit between your hand and the gun than the raw power level . ( Insert personal anecdote how .380 AMT is more painful than a long list of handcannons.)

No disrespect, but it is wise and good to start out with some basics from a knowledgeable mentor, or a session with one of our fine IP instructors . Mopar has offered, if he's convient to you great. If down south is more convient, I'll extend an invitation.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Geeking out with statistics and charts is a good thing. It can be enjoyable, and occasionly enlightening. But at present the OP is overthinking , and lacking in context.

The charts include the far extremes on either end . Not withstanding 19th Cen elephant hunters with 4 Bores , the really high end of the chart are just stunts . The lower end rounds off the essentially no recoil. ( Meaning as long as any old vague manner of technique is used, no discomfort, and no problem being back on target more quickly than sights could be aligned, or trigger be squeezed. It is only in the contextual middle where variations are meaningful.I

Since handguns were brought up by OP, I'll provide some rough rule of thumbs for context :

Up to the level of .38spl +P from 4in medium frame revolver, or 9mn std vel from a service sized pistol ( think G17) a moderately trained shooter, using any old technique, will have reasonably good control, and no discomfort . ( Control is frequently mentioned, this refers to being able to bring gun back into firing position with the rapidity suitable for the context.)

Going above that level of recoil , either from more powerful loading, or lighter gun , will at some point require different technique to deal with the recoil, a degradation in control, or some combination therof. And potentiality discomfort to hand, although that is exponentially more a factor of the fit between your hand and the gun than the raw power level . ( Insert personal anecdote how .380 AMT is more painful than a long list of handcannons.)

No disrespect, but it is wise and good to start out with some basics from a knowledgeable mentor, or a session with one of our fine IP instructors . Mopar has offered, if he's convient to you great. If down south is more convient, I'll extend an invitation.
    Thanks guys.

So far I haven't been able to enjoy any handguns but feeling the love for rifles.

Took a safety course and shot with some experienced friends, so practice practice and practice is most likely my cure.
    I may have bought the wrong gun but the right caliber because the last trip to the range was actually enjoyable.
    2 shots at a time and verbally reminding myself of the steps may have made me look crazy to some folks there, but I don't care. If I learn this right, it could be a lifetime love affair.
    I'll definitely will be taking advantage of your offers. The more I see, the more I'll learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom