• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    I just moved into the area near Hagerstown, and there seems to be a shortage of good gun shops. What is the deal, and who would like to see a good gunshop up in this area?

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    what are you into? if it's black guns, there isn't much to pick from. I've recently discovered Hafer's at Downsville General Store near Williamsport. They're good people, knowledgable, and they're the only store in the county that I'm aware of that knows about black guns. Then again if you hunt then we can probably list a couple more heh. But yeah not alot of gun stores up here.

Try Tim Hafer first. :thumbsup:

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    Hendershots is definitely nice. More focused on hunting, but they have a nice selection of handguns if I remember correctly.

Anybody try to haggle with them? I usually look at the prices and just browse or check out the guns so that I can get them from Rich's Sport Shop in Barton (shameless plug for Conundrum). Most every price that I have seen looks like MSRP. I usually use the GLocks as my barometer for price. When they put prices like $675 (even pre-Obama), I know they are out of their minds. I bought my first Glock (G21) from Hendershots and paid around $650 for it; I didn't know any better at the time. I picked up a G19 in Frostburg for around $525 a year later. Now during the Obama scare, Rich's Sport Shop sells them for around $550. All the while, I keep seeing Hendershots selling them for more than $600.

With those prices, I think the OP could do better elsewhere. Now if they will haggle, then that may be another story. I don't think you should have to haggle though. The price should be low enough to make me want to buy it. The transfer fees they list are also way too high.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Hendershots is notortiously high priced, but they're also the only shop aroudn here that caters to the serious hunter (i understand they can get you anything, no matter where in the world you intend to hunt)

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    I will say that Hendershots had a decent looking used Sig P229 or P226 less than a year ago that had a decent price on it. I don't think it was a CPO, but it was around $500-$550. The finish was really nice, almost new looking for a used gun.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Definitely more pricey, and I don't know if they'll negotiate on the price any.

They certainly have some BEAUTIFUL rifles in there though, and that usually makes it worth the stop for me.....just to be able to look at some of that stuff that nobody around here carries. I can't afford them mind you, but I do enjoy looking at them. :rolleyes:

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    I can honestly say that I just like a nice weapon/gun. It is nice to go into a shop and get around like minded individuals. It helps if the shop has a good selection. This almost makes me want to consider opening something up when the time is right.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    years ago I went to the Arrow and Bullet on Concord street, don't know if it is still there, but they had good prices back then.

Scalley and the Arrow and bullet are still there. However, I would listen to hole punch and head over to Hafers of downsville. Tim is the man. His prices are the best in the area. Trust me i know.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Take a little drive to Emmitsburg and check out Stateline Gun Exchange. Bob runs a small store, and usually has 12-20 new long guns and about the same number for used long guns and 15-20 new handguns. He usually has at least one or two EBRs on hand. But whatever he does not have, he will order and if the distributor has it in stock, Bob will have it in a week.

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    I had the same results with 3R. It sounds like someone's part time business. Most gun shops in this area are kind of restriced with hours of operation. I wonder if the area could support a full time gun store that has some variety?

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    +1 for 3R. I've done business with him several times, and all have been above and beyond in service.

He has a normal job during the day, but wednesday evening and saturday mid-day he runs his gun shop. Focuses on Rugers, but has a lot of other stuff. Used to have a 'shop' in frederick, but a few months ago moved to his basement in his home in hagerstown.

Don't let the lack of store-front put you off. If you can work with his hours, he is a pleasure to deal with, and has some unbeatable prices on some items.

You can always catch him at Frederick gun shows, and his father (one of the 3 'R's, who has a shop in PA) also attends various shows like the Howard County show.

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    There is
    1.-Hunters Den in Waynesboro (Pa),
    2. Gander Mountain in Chambersburg,
    3. Reddings in Gettysburg-west end of town
    4. Keystone Country Store in Fort Loudan http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/,
    5. Keystone sporting goods in Hagerstown-- http://www.keystone-sports.com/home.html --mostlyarchery, bp some rifles
    6. Fort Chambers muzzleloaders- http://www.fortchambers.com/ directly across the main road in front of Gander Mountain by the Chambersburg Mall.
    I also have heard of a shop in Williamsport-went there years ago but don't know it it is still open.

Last edited:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    what are you into? if it's black guns, there isn't much to pick from. I've recently discovered Hafer's at Downsville General Store near Williamsport. They're good people, knowledgable, and they're the only store in the county that I'm aware of that knows about black guns. Then again if you hunt then we can probably list a couple more heh. But yeah not alot of gun stores up here.

Try Tim Hafer first. :thumbsup:
    Yes, I go to Hafer's Gunsmithing in Downesville for all my needs.Tim is a real likeable guy and knows his stuff. Nice inventory too.

There are three in Martinsburg (30-45min south). Sheps, Tannermans and Valley Guns 2.

Valley Guns has the best selection, but Tannermans seems the most friendly. Sheps has a decent selection, but his prices seem to be a touch higher and in all the times I've been in there, he has been strictly business, even when I tried to engage him in smalltalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom