• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    This is just another example of creeping crud from your Federal Government...

Last Friday I took Barbara to SS to file for her SS...

The office we chose is in Harford County in Abingdon...

This one in is a good & safe area near a Wegman's & Panera's...

She will be 66 in December...

We went on line and made an appointment for 9AM 6 weeks ago...

They open at 9AM & we got there at 8:50...

There were about 8 - 10 people laying on the grass & sitting on the curb...

We formed a line 15 feet from the door...

As it grew closer to 9AM people assumed their place in the line according to when they arrived...

The door opened promptly at 9AM...

The Rent A Cop stood in the door way & let people in 1 at a time to sign in & get a slip with a number...

The process was orderly...

We took our seats to wait our turn...

We were called about 9:15 = not bad for a 9AM appointment...

I'll be 72 in Feb, I'm 5'9", 170 Lbs & was wearing my USMC Camo Field Cover...

I don't think of myself as being a threat to anyone...

When we stood up to go to meet our SS agent, the Cop noticed the clip to my pocket knife on my front right pants pocket & said, pointing "You need to put that in your car"...

Only the clip of the knife could be seen, the knife was 100% inside of my pocket...

I said OK & complied with his demand...

This was clearly a demand & not a request...

Welcome to your new America..!

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    solution to knife clip in view

I use my knife all day long and don't want to dive into my pocket to retrieve it. I found that this: Mad Blacksmith City Dweller Pl-M-S Silver Pen Cap Lanyard System 6 1/2" available on Ebay works quite well for me. It just looks like an ink pen in your pants pocket.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
      $_57.JPG
      29 KB · Views: 946

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I went to the marine corp museum a few months ago with my dad, I didn't think anything of having mu buck knife and clip on knife in my pocket. when I got to the entrance I was asked to step outside for a moment. I did, and was asked to walk to my truck and take off my knives. I did since dad wanted to see the museum again. I was then patted down to make sure I wasn't carrying anything else. then allowed inside.

kinda strick they are.

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County
    Sorry you got Blarted...

This is why I always keep the knife in the pocket, not clipped.

Exactly. I don't like having my knife clip showing.

I wear pants or shorts that have a divider inside the pocket. I clip my knife on that internal divider. So it stays put, in the direction I prefer, but just a little lower than the location you probably think of as "normal".

It isn't as easy of a draw (I need to lean a little bit to my right to reach a little into my pocket), but it's still very doable.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Social security has to deal with a lot of idiots and often it is the lady at the counter who has to tell those idiots that they are not eligible for a particular benefit. Understandable that they dont want idiots with knives on the other side of the table.
    In a federal facility, you are limited to 2.5in, if the local office has a policy against any knives, you may be limited to none.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I use my knife all day long and don't want to dive into my pocket to retrieve it. I found that this: Mad Blacksmith City Dweller Pl-M-S Silver Pen Cap Lanyard System 6 1/2" available on Ebay works quite well for me. It just looks like an ink pen in your pants pocket.

That's pretty cool. Definately getting one.

When I enter buildings like this I usually just unclip my knife and drop it in my pocket. This is a good alternative.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    That's what a watch pocket is for in today's world. I remove the clip and keep the knife in it with the bade against the seam and point up. This position puts the knife in hand and ready to open quickly with one hand. In my full time job I never know when I will need to cut rigging quickly or defend myself.

Attachments

• 20150907_100713.jpg
      20150907_100713.jpg
      146.5 KB · Views: 752
    • 20150907_100734.jpg
      20150907_100734.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 742

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    That's what a watch pocket is for in today's world. I remove the clip and keep the knife in it with the bade against the seam and point up. This position puts the knife in hand and ready to open quickly with one hand. In my full time job I never know when I will need to cut rigging quickly or defend myself.

So if you need to cut something or defend yourself you just interject with "hold on, let me grab my spare pair of pants?"... :lol2:

It definitely feels like current society prefers everyone to be a victim (sheep) except the criminals (wolves) and then of course it's not their fault, it's their environment. Unless of course you're a politician with a security detail and then it's justified.

Last edited:

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD

Looks like a kershaw oso sweet. An excellent budget knife in my opinion.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I'll be 72 in Feb, I'm 5'9", 170 Lbs & was wearing my USMC Camo Field Cover...

I don't think of myself as being a threat to anyone...
    Without knowing anything about the 'rent a cop', I think you could teach him a lesson if it came down to it - without a knife.

You (and I'm guessing everyone else this 'cop' has interacted with) should have been treated with a lot more respect.

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Without knowing anything about the 'rent a cop', I think you could teach him a lesson if it came down to it - without a knife.

You (and I'm guessing everyone else this 'cop' has interacted with) should have been treated with a lot more respect.

Actually the guard was respectful...

He was a 50+ year old black man who I judge was either ex Military or ex LEO...

Obviously he had a job to do...

I thought he & I both handled it pretty well...

The point of writing was to show just how far we are from carrying a hand gun...

I've been carrying a pocket knife everywhere since the 5th grade...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Sorry you got Blarted...

This is why I always keep the knife in the pocket, not clipped.

Not trying to be the jerk here, but regardless of your age or appearance there's 2 issues to consider;

-we all know that carrying any kind of weapon into a Federal building/office is likely illegal and if not will certainly get a challenge
    -the security person is doing his job

This is no different than the open vs. concealed carry. When it's fully concealed it's usually not a problem.

sgt23preston

May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Social security has to deal with a lot of idiots and often it is the lady at the counter who has to tell those idiots that they are not eligible for a particular benefit. Understandable that they dont want idiots with knives on the other side of the table.
    In a federal facility, you are limited to 2.5in, if the local office has a policy against any knives, you may be limited to none.

Acutally when I went out to my truck to put the knife away, one of the women who was in front of us in line & was sitting on the curb when we arrived, asked me for change or if I could spare a dollar WTF..?

The woman was a 60 year old white woman who had been outside smoking continuously since she first walked in...

Welcome to the NEW America...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom