• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Related question:

I'm not an AR guy, but have a couple of ARs. I'm at the point where I'm using scopes on more of my rifles (pretty much all but the lever guns, which I still shoot with peep sites, and the ARs, which I don't often use, but my 12 year old daughter enjoys).

My ARs are topped with old-school, carry handle uppers. If I was wanting a flat top, to add a regular or red-dot scope to, would it make more sense to buy another gun (cheap olympics locally for $550-$600) or buy an upper for anywhere between half that to double that? I'm thinking the quality of my lowers isn't the best, probably an Oly and a Bushmaster. Both have served me well for kids guns, but never torture tested. Low round counts, but no issues.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    IMO it never hurts to buy another gun and several companies I have seen are making guns advertised as optics ready. i.e. no sights on them at all, so if you don't mind not having back up sights on a rifle, that might be a good option to go for

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Related question:

I'm not an AR guy, but have a couple of ARs. I'm at the point where I'm using scopes on more of my rifles (pretty much all but the lever guns, which I still shoot with peep sites, and the ARs, which I don't often use, but my 12 year old daughter enjoys).

My ARs are topped with old-school, carry handle uppers. If I was wanting a flat top, to add a regular or red-dot scope to, would it make more sense to buy another gun (cheap olympics locally for $550-$600) or buy an upper for anywhere between half that to double that? I'm thinking the quality of my lowers isn't the best, probably an Oly and a Bushmaster. Both have served me well for kids guns, but never torture tested. Low round counts, but no issues.

Are the carry handles permanently attached or something? Most AR's now you can just remove the carry handle from the rail.

If so I would just get a reliable upper. Lower usually won't matter unless something is really screwed up.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Related question:

Do whatever fits your budget but realize the cheap AR may disappoint you.

Personally I would build or buy a quality flat top ipper.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

You can buy a forward mount for a red dot or other sight for an AR with a fixed carrying handle very inexpensively. There's no need to buy another AR just because it's a flattop...but I would not say not to buy another just because! :D

This is my Olympic Arms M4 in .45 ACP set up just that way and it works very, very well. The OlyArms may not be up to the fit and finish of a Colt or possibly other makes...but it's proved in over twenty-five years to be absolutely reliable and tack driving accurate.

Oly_Arms_45_M4.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Is that a 20 inch barrel with a carbine length gas system? If so, how does it shoot? Interesting dynamics going on inside I would think. Any changes to the buffer weight required?

Intrigued now....... :cool:

I run a 20" with a Carbine stock. Have had no issues at all. See the Canadian C7

220px-Canadian_C7A2_Rifle.JPG

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    You can buy a forward mount for a red dot or other sight for an AR with a fixed carrying handle very inexpensively.

It looks like that clamps onto the carry handle? Does it hold zero pretty well. I haven't really used a red dot very much, is that too far forward or is eye relief not as important with those?

There's no need to buy another AR just because it's a flattop...but I would not say not to buy another just because! :D

Yeah, need doesn't have much to do with it. When the political feces starts as it has lately I like to 1) send money to 2A rights orgs, and 2) buy a new gun just so I can say that I contributed when NICS sets another record. Like I said, not really an AR guy and I have more than my kids and wife can shoot all at one time. I don't have a .308 battle rifle (but do have Garands). Scratching that itch might be an option (plus the forward mount you linked--why not?).

[/QUOTE]

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Yes, it does attach to the carry handle...no problems of loss of zero. I've always been a minimalist when it comes to attachments and accessories...nothing extra unless necessary. But as my eyes have aged I've come to like red-dot sights. They're very quick and easy to use and the better brands have batteries that last. Being mounted so forward isn't a problem.

Garands are battle rifles...and an outstanding one. They may be obsolete in modern tactics but that takes nothing away from them.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Yes, it does attach to the carry handle...no problems of loss of zero. I've always been a minimalist when it comes to attachments and accessories...nothing extra unless necessary. But as my eyes have aged I've come to like red-dot sights. They're very quick and easy to use and the better brands have batteries that last. Being mounted so forward isn't a problem.

Also a minimalist, also aging eyes. I like this approach-thanks.

Garands are battle rifles...and an outstanding one. They may be obsolete in modern tactics but that takes nothing away from them.

Oh, I'm a big fan of the "greatest battle implement ever devised". My emphasis was on the ".308" part. I've been hesitant to have a .308 and stock ammo for it due to it looking a lot like .30-06 (possible confusion) and having to stock both calibers.

A friend hunts with AR-10s and FALs. He had an AD when walking right behind me one year due to a known (but unknown to us) weakness in the firing pin spring (or something). Other than that (which it sounds like there's a fix for) I like the idea of hunting with a platform that could also serve as a battle rifle (and as much as I love the M1, I don't want to schlep it around all day while hunting or have it out in the snow for a week every year).

Ljmarin

Mar 24, 2018
    I just bought a stag 15 LEO HBAR from atlantic firearms for around $750. With the transfer fees and shipping it was probably around $850. Its kind of front heavy with the quadrail but thats Maryland for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom