• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats! Friday looks like rainy weather. I should still be headed out. I just might be sheltered in a portable blind most of the day. Saturday looks great (if warm). Hopefully I’ll have some luck.

There were 11 of them in that little field right by the High’s station on 144 by the fair grounds. Stopping to get a six pack on the way to a friend’s for dinner and all those does were just milling around 80yds away.

Shame.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    He finally slipped up. Nice way to start the year!

Attachments

• 20190101_075058.jpg
      20190101_075058.jpg
      153.2 KB · Views: 286

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am headed to the Eastern Shore, Salisbury area to hunt tomorrow and Saturday. Western HoCo is my residence. Suggestions if I get a deer Friday morning? If I drive it straight back after checking out if the hotel I figure a bag of ice in the chest cavity and throw a garbage bag cut open as a tarp and blanket over it (in the trunk of my car). Or would a Mylar blanket work better (have a couple in my car)?

Temps low 50s and overcast the later part of the day. What if I was going to stay the night and hunt Saturday? Take it to a butcher out there (not driving 5hrs round trip to drop it off at my butcher near my house and then back out)? If so any suggestions by Easton? That’s at least only 90 minutes from my house. Any ideas if a butcher out there might let me pay to hang my deer for a day in their freezer?

Just thinking that if I get one Friday night, I may like to try to hunt till noon the next day before packing it up.

Thanks and good luck to all hunting the late season.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can go to Kramer’s on rt 14 Mt Holley rd Springdale and put it in the cold box.

Thanks!

If anyone needs it later hey are 5727 Mt Holly Rd East New Market. Spoke to someone there $10 a day to hang in their freezer. Dang decent and right near where I am hunting.

Thanks Doco!

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    season is over for us and this guy shows up two days later...of course at night...First time Ive seen him.

Attachments

• STC_0098.jpg
      STC_0098.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 204

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I know where Kramer’s is. It’s like 5 minutes from my farm off Thompsontown Rd. Never knew he was set up for that.

If you get there late and the lights are dim, just look for the truck body to the left of the entrance, grab a plastic bag by the cutting room door and put your tag/info inside the carcass.

When you turn in by the sign from the road, drive back the little lane to the back and pull right up.....if your still on Thompsontown, then head over to Johnny's in ENM for a cold one. You should be seeing some good sika over in there. We started killing them around that way in the mid-late 90's when they just broke out from across 50.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you get there late and the lights are dim, just look for the truck body to the left of the entrance, grab a plastic bag by the cutting room door and put your tag/info inside the carcass.

When you turn in by the sign from the road, drive back the little lane to the back and pull right up.....if your still on Thompsontown, then head over to Johnny's in ENM for a cold one. You should be seeing some good sika over in there. We started killing them around that way in the mid-late 90's when they just broke out from across 50.

Checked out A couple of the areas you suggested. I got there too late in the day to explore much. I am going to try nanticoke River in the morning as I know where to setup at least. I may hike back and move over to one area, N Green Hill, to still hunt for the day and if I find an evening setup spot I’ll stay the whole day.

No clue what I am going to do Saturday. Looks like light rain most of the day. If I don’t get lucky Friday I may do nanticoke River again and setup somewhere in my ground blind all day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also I thought everything near me was soaked from all this rain, everywhere I go seems to be a soggy spunge if not flooded

Glad I brought my stool. No sitting directly on the ground for me!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Oh man. I just used my new jerky gun for the first time. Now it's time to go get more deer!!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nothing stirring out there today other than a shite load of other hunters. May call it quits and skip the last day as it looks like rain until 4 or so. But I’ll wait till morning to call it. I’ve got enough in the freezer and I don’t plan to walk around in a drenching rain nor hike a mile to setup my ground blind and sit in the rain all day.

I’ve got a place or two to check out on my way home if I do chicken out. Places I’ve seen but never scouted.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Skunked again tonight
    Squirrels at my feeder and one of the foxes strolled by.

I did not hear any shots nearby so I was not alone

I’ll venture out again tomorrow night .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Skunked again tonight
    Squirrels at my feeder and one of the foxes strolled by.

I did not hear any shots nearby so I was not alone

I’ll venture out again tomorrow night .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here but i got a front row seat watching a hawk swoop in and kill a squirrel that was eating corn from the feeder. The hawk sat there for 10 minutes or so before leaving with the squirrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I heard a few shots, but a tiny number compared to what I heard last tome
    I was here. I’ll grant you the last time some of that could have been duck hunters too.

Still, seemed quiet and little was stirring. Also I should have made tome to scout Nanticoke River WMA. They clear cut about 15% of the woods since I was last here. Threw me off and I got disoriented in the dark. Ended up sitting the morning not anywhere near where I intended to. Still hunted a few hours and about 100-150yds from where I had planned to sit I found a bedding area with at least 5 fresh beds, 2 HUGE beds and 3 smaller ones (and 2 maybes? Or they changed their mind).

Maybe it was from earlier in the week.

If the weather isn’t too bad I am headed back there. If it is crappy, I’ll check out Linkwood on my way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom