• ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So where can you and can’t you carry in MD

You can google up many pointers to the MD law. From this obvious one

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

is:

Where are Firearms Prohibited?

Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
    1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)​​

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    WHO you ask at MD State Police will determine the answer you get. Their replies are inconsistent. www.MarylandShallIssue.org is the most authoritative source for accurate info I have found. $25/year to belong and an extremely professional bunch.
    The danger with a "valid while working as a defense contractor" is a St. Mary's County sheriff or other local LEO may interpret it as "valid WHILE conducting business as a Defense contractor" and will want you to explain how you are working at midnight while getting a sandwich at the Wawa. So the advice typed on some permits (not mine, but I wrote it on there) that says "contact the MD Gun Center before Law Enforcement Action is taking" is now being added because there must have been problems with local LEOs not understanding the restriction. This is a phone number all MD LEOs are supposed to have handy. I doubt that is the case.
    But these restrictions let us carry as long as we are employed as a defense contractor (and the permit has not expired) and at a public hearing the MD Sate Police Sergeant 3 months ago told another permit holder like me that this means the permit is good anywhere, 24/7, working, shopping, etc. And he added that holders of this permit restriction "basically have no restriction". My guess is that someone last year reminded the State that the defense industry brings in $80M annually to MD businesses, and they should cut them a little slack, hence the new "defense contractor" restriction. Most recently, we have been told that to get a new W&C permit, you'll need to meet at least one of four conditions: fear for your life due to at least two validated threats against your life (with police reports), be a current or former law enforcement officer, own your own business, or work for a defense contractor and have a TS clearance. Good luck. Fight the good fight. Don't give up. My application was 120 pages with supporting documents but others have done it with 25 pages.

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    Plan on 60-90 days to get the permit if all goes well. Seems like the average time now.

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    I had to get two different sets of electronic prints at Worth a Shot in Gambrills (ex-Balto cop owner is not the friendliest of persons, so be nice). They said I'd need one set of prints per office and the HQL and W&C permit apps are two different offices and they don't share prints, to protect privacy". (!??!??) So I did it and got the HQL and the W&C permit.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I had to get two different sets of electronic prints at Worth a Shot in Gambrills (ex-Balto cop owner is not the friendliest of persons, so be nice). They said I'd need one set of prints per office and the HQL and W&C permit apps are two different offices and they don't share prints, to protect privacy". (!??!??) So I did it and got the HQL and the W&C permit.
    You were lied to.

Once you had the the W&C you could have gotten the HQL for free and with no prints.

Also, Applicants submitting "120 pages" (or 25) is part of the reason a regular individual has a hard time getting through the process. The MSP shouldn't need this level of documentation.....AT ALL.

They're the premier law enforcement agency for the State... (the "Finest") some would say. Why can't they conduct a quick investigation into who you are and what you say you do? Why would someone need a half a ream of paperwork included in their application?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My VA NR permit was a one page application. One fingerprint card, one photo and a check.

MD will never stop their Bravo Sierra until forced to by a SCOTUS ruling.

The Free State?

Hardly

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Tiptoeing around these LD Troopers also has caused other (normal) Applicants issues.

I understand they obviously expect basic respect, the guys who are swinging from their nuts though? These Troopers (in a lot of cases) get far too much respect, especially considering the bullschit task they perform.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You were lied to.

Once you had the the W&C you could have gotten the HQL for free and with no prints.

Though it's no lie at all if they're told that if they want to acquire a handgun during the three months it takes to get the W&C (if successful), that they'll need the HQL first. If, say, they want to have their own pistol and some practice time with it under their belt before they head off to that 16 hour class (some of which include more than just five minutes of paper-punching at the very end, and not all of which provide the students with a weapon and holster).

Regardless of the order in which the two things happen, the underlying need for multiple prints is indeed bureaucratic BS. Telling the person getting the prints that the MP's current BS compartmentalization means they need two sets if they want the HQL before they eventually get their permit ... that's true. It's annoying, needlessly expensive, and another example of the state doing its best to discourage gun ownership and carrying, but it's not a lie.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    But, by all means, you guys keep jumping through all the hoops and participating in the games, surely it's going to make it easier for the guy who does NOT choose to play their bullschit games.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    They processed my HQL in 5 days flat with zero prints.

With, or without your W&C? If you don't already have the W&C, your HQL requires prints. If you then go on to apply for W&C, that's another set. If that person was applying for BOTH at the same time (as described), then yes, two sets. Because the W&C doesn't exist yet, so that waiver can't apply on the HQL process.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The process is convoluted, expensive and inefficient for applicants.

By design
    110% correct.

And, the more we teach the new guys to play in to and go along with the complete bullschit..... the more schit the State will decide to lay on.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I'm guessing that they do the fingerprinting there? Just another reason not to shop at Worth A Shit.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm guessing that they do the fingerprinting there? Just another reason not to shop at Worth A Shit.

When I read the guy is less than friendly I knew enough already. I don't GAF if you're a retired City cop or not, I don't spend money where I'm not treated right. ;)

I know he was probably joking but, if the advice is (the customer) better "be nice"? Yeah,..... Ef that. Not only won't I be, but I'll spent the next few months talking schit on them to anyone who will listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom