• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Wile transporting?

I know most of us have to go someplace to shot. And I assume most are like me, and try to go straight to and home from the range, but it doesn't always work out that way. Don't get me wrong, I try to follow the law to the letter, but sometimes I need gas (or a soda) and have to detour.

My question is, has anyone ever been busted with a handgun wile making a peaceful journey?

If so, would you mind sharing the experience?

I pulled into the 7/11 right there next to On Target on my way home. I know, I'm not supposed to, but I needed a drink. I had a black trigger finger, and a black mark where I was picking my noise, my new HK locked in it's hard case, in a range bag, under the rear seat of my truck outside when one of AA counties finest walked it. It kind of freaked me out... damn good thing that LEO was yakking on the cell phone in Condition White.

reiflame

Feb 27, 2007
    Yeah, I got stopped for speeding (really a drunk driving check because I didn't get a ticket going 50 in a 35 woo!) after going to a bar between going to the range and going home. For the record, I had absolutely nothing to drink.

I did not disclose that I had firearms in the car (everything was in the trunk) although I did have a few ammo cans in the back seat. The office must not've seen them, because he didn't mention it and I didn't volunteer.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I haven't been pulled over, but I'll pass on what I learned from the MSP subsequent to receiving a CCW permit.

Any stops outside of my restrictions require the weapon to be secured as though there was no permit. If you stop for coffee on the way to work, the gun must be unloaded and placed in an enclosed case or enclosed holster (unloaded) and locked in the trunk.

As an aside, this week I'm traveling around NC and VA. How sweet. Open carry legal everwhere in VA (well almost everywhere) and most places in NC. I arrived at the Red Roof tonite with three state trooper cars out front. I walked in open carrying a SW MP 40 Compact. Troopers gave me the eye, but no one said a word. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little nervous.

Chris

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Probably not what you are looking for, but a buddy of mine had a 12 gauge under the front seat of his truck and a dead deer in the back that he hit with the truck earlier. He told the officer that he did not shoot the deer (not in season), that the 12 gauge was under the seat, unloaded, and not in a case. The officer looked at the deer, saw no holes, wrote a speeding ticket and that was it.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I haven't been pulled over, but I'll pass on what I learned from the MSP subsequent to receiving a CCW permit.

Any stops outside of my restrictions require the weapon to be secured as though there was no permit. If you stop for coffee on the way to work, the gun must be unloaded and placed in an enclosed case or enclosed holster (unloaded) and locked in the trunk.

As an aside, this week I'm traveling around NC and VA. How sweet. Open carry legal everwhere in VA (well almost everywhere) and most places in NC. I arrived at the Red Roof tonite with three state trooper cars out front. I walked in open carrying a SW MP 40 Compact. Troopers gave me the eye, but no one said a word. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little nervous.

Chris

Welcome to the site, open carry in VA and NC with no permit?

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    In NC local jusridictions have the right to pass restrictions if they so deem. But High Point, Greensboro and Raleigh (the three places I went to this week) at least have no additional restrictions. There are normal restricitions state wide; no bars, gov't blding, schools....

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    In NC local jusridictions have the right to pass restrictions if they so deem. But High Point, Greensboro and Raleigh (the three places I went to this week) at least have no additional restrictions. There are normal restricitions state wide; no bars, gov't blding, schools....

Once a year im in the Outer Banks for a week, any way you can back up if open carry is permitted there? Doesnt and FL CCW work in NC?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I was stoped for speeding on the 4th of July. I was coming down 83S home for shooting in PA with some friends. I had 3 SBR's a few suppressors and a bunch of loaded HK91 mags (PITA to unload, I know, no excuse)

I was in my old Cherokee, all the guns were in the back. The Jeeo has tinted rear windows. I had a cracked windhsield and was doing 78 in a 65.

I got a SERO for the cracked windshield, a warning for speeding and not a word said about the back being full of guns.

The best part is that my 2 best friends handled the windshield and SERO. One owns a windshield company (free windshields and install) and the other is a State Inspector! I paid for nothing!

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Florida CCW valid in NC. (and 27 other states) I actually sent in the for the FLA application yesterday.
    Regarding the Outer Banks, if that is gov't owned park land you may have an issue. Call the local sheriffs office, they'll have the infomation.

http://www.ncrpa.org/concealed_carry_reciprocity.htm

Thanks! Once I get a few extra bucks im gonna apply for my FL CCW I already have the app and the VA app.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    PA allows open carry, but I don't think it is very common outside of really rural areas. I did see a guy last week that wasn't in any uniform, but he was ordering at the Chinese place and I couldn't see if a badge was on him or anything on his front. He had a Glock on a belt holster. I am not going to try open carry in PA though LOL, even though some PA guys said a MD resident in PA can do it. There's this sportsman permit thing I have to get though for trapping.

I was talking to a guy in Ohio on another board, apparently open carry is ok there too, though this guy has a ccw permit. He said he decided what the heck and went open carry to some food place and no one seemed to batt an eyelash. I guess people just assume your a cop?

What a day and night to our lovely Maryland...lol

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The best part is that my 2 best friends handled the windshield and SERO. One owns a windshield company (free windshields and install) and the other is a State Inspector! I paid for nothing!

Isn't it great to have friends in the right places?

I swear, if I just had a friend who owned a Wawa store.........

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007

SEROS for windshields, taillights, turn signals, headlight burnt out, etc., are inspected and signed off on free of charge by your local, friendly LEO. Its only things like brakes and exhaust, etc that you have to go to a mechanic/State Inspection station for.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    SEROS for windshields, taillights, turn signals, headlight burnt out, etc., are inspected and signed off on free of charge by your local, friendly LEO. Its only things like brakes and exhaust, etc that you have to go to a mechanic/State Inspection station for.

Yea, but I work with him and didn't have to go anywhere to get the ticket signed. I a mechanic at a dealership and he is one of our state inspectors.

And my other friends windshield bussinness is mostly mobile and he had one of his guys come out and install the glass at my house when I wasn't even home.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Florida CCW valid in NC. (and 27 other states) I actually sent in the for the FLA application yesterday.
    Regarding the Outer Banks, if that is gov't owned park land you may have an issue. Call the local sheriffs office, they'll have the infomation.

http://www.ncrpa.org/concealed_carry_reciprocity.htm

Right, a lot of OBX is National Seashore under Park land. I know Hatteras Island (where I go every year) they just banned all fireworks... I'd definitely call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom