• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    Hello I am new to Maryland and trying to make sense of these confusing laws! I was searching the banned list and to me it seems ARs in 300aac caliber are not banned? This makes no sense. I am building my first AR and already ordered an Anderson lower. I will be purchasing my upper as a kit from PSA and then a heavy barrel from wherever I can find one in stock.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It does not make sense. Welcome to MD. Wait until you want to buy a handgun. Fun, fun, fun....

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    I just picked up my first handgun (AR pistol) in Maryland and like everyone else has said, the process is just a undue hurdle for law abiding citizens. Designated Collector app is in the mail.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No I think none of them should be banned!

What if I got a 7.62x39 chambered upper? Are they legal in MD? I already have an SKS so another firearm in the same caliber could be nice.

Any AR OTHER than 5.56/.223 is GTG with any barrel profile. If it is 5.56/223 it MUST have a heavy profile barrel. Unless it is a pistol.

The reason is the magic that exists in the 5.56/.223 round. The heavy profile barrel slows the projectile down so it is not harmful to puppies. In any other barrel profile, the speed of the projectile approaches 186,000 miles/second. It is also able to go around bends and can be fired accurately from the hip. No other caliber can do this.

Make sense now?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    No I think none of them should be banned!

What if I got a 7.62x39 chambered upper? Are they legal in MD? I already have an SKS so another firearm in the same caliber could be nice.

The only banned configuration is 223/556 with a standard barrel. If said caliber has a heavy barrel (HBAR) it is not banned. HBAR needs to be stamped on the barrel or in the manufacturer specs (or something like that).

All other calibers are acceptable and not banned, for now.

The good doc beat me to it, but it should be clear as mud now. Go forth and procure. Hope you already have ammo...

Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I have ammo for everything but my 9mm. Can't find 9mm under $1 a round shipped!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Any AR OTHER than 5.56/.223 is GTG with any barrel profile. If it is 5.56/223 it MUST have a heavy profile barrel. Unless it is a pistol.

The reason is the magic that exists in the 5.56/.223 round. The heavy profile barrel slows the projectile down so it is not harmful to puppies. In any other barrel profile, the speed of the projectile approaches 186,000 miles/second. It is also able to go around bends and can be fired accurately from the hip. No other caliber can do this.

Make sense now?

This is false information.

Everyone knows it is because regular barrels have built in silencers and that makes bullets go 3 times the speed of light while heavy barrels cause better heat dissipation that results in each round creating a rainbow that promotes diversity.

I mean...duh

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Everyone knows it is because regular barrels have built in silencers and that makes bullets go 3 times the speed of light while heavy barrels cause better heat dissipation that results in each round creating a rainbow that promotes diversity.

I mean...duh

Thanks for the correction.

We also neglected to mention that there has not been a SINGLE grenade launcher homicide in Maryland since the M4 barrel cuts were banned on 5.56mm barrels. Not one. How many other States can say that? Not many, I reckon.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you read the law, any AR-15 that is not HBAR is banned.

MSP is saying that an AR in other than .223/5.56 is not banned. However, in the law, some other firearms are called out by caliber, but the AR is not.

Feb 28, 2013
    Hello I am new to Maryland and trying to make sense of these confusing laws! I was searching the banned list and to me it seems ARs in 300aac caliber are not banned? This makes no sense. I am building my first AR and already ordered an Anderson lower. I will be purchasing my upper as a kit from PSA and then a heavy barrel from wherever I can find one in stock.

Dont worry bout it.

It don't matter with 300 Blackout since that caliber aint on the naughty list

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

I mean...duh

I read on the internet that it is bc light barrels can hold more bullets at one time and thus function like a pseudo fully automatic death rifle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The ar15 was only built in 5.56.

At the time, yes, which is probably why the caliber is not listed.

But again, the law does not say that only the 5.56 version is banned.

MSP is interpreting it that way, but that could change at any time.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland

Make sense now?

Good one, Doc!! Hahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom