• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    A friend tried explaining it to me, via texting albeit, but I still can't figure out why a heavy barrel AR15 isn't regulated?

Same weapon right?

because an hbar is a target shooting gun
    and a regular barrel ar-15 is only good for violent right wing rampages

that tiny bit of weight has a big difference on the owners rage sensors in the brain:innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    welcome to maryland.. lol

as my wife would say.. from 1600's law.. you get into more trouble if you beat your donkey than your wife..

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Here is the only answer you need.

Regulated: means you have to wait seven days to take it home.

HBAR: means you take it home same day

There is no understanding any other logic then that.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Well, there's more to it than that. Regulated also means you can only buy an average of one a month, and there are lots more restrictions on how it can be sold to another person.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A friend tried explaining it to me, via texting albeit, but I still can't figure out why a heavy barrel AR15 isn't regulated?

Same weapon right?

because an hbar is a target shooting gun
    and a regular barrel ar-15 is only good for violent right wing rampages

that tiny bit of weight has a big difference on the owners rage sensors in the brain:innocent0

Yoshi, the answer Tootall gave is the best available. I wasn't in MD when the law was passed but it sounds like the target shooting crowd got their guns exempted at the expense of all other ARs.

EDIT, I should amend what I wrote, either the target crowd sold us out or the pro 2A legislators were able to protect one type of rifle when the bill was being worked on.

It is 100% stupid.

BTW, the paperwork is the same as if you buy a handgun. The same goes if you wnat to sell it. And you have to be 21 to own a regular AR.

Last edited:

beenaround

Apr 2, 2009
    Ive been told you can go into a shop, buy a heavy barrel/fixed stock AR. Walk out with it, get home and immediately change the stock to a collapsible as well as swap out the upper for a light barrel or "Civi" M4 profile upper and be perfectly fine?

Is this correct?

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    AR-50s have heavy barrels, I picked one up once, very heavy.

Non regulated right?

still regulated i believe.

it has nothing to do with the actual weight necessarily, its more about the type of barrel.

the law exempts the colt HBAR rifle from regulation, and so that means any HBAR ar-15 is unregulated because the law considers them "copies" of the colt HBAR.

Ive been told you can go into a shop, buy a heavy barrel/fixed stock AR. Walk out with it, get home and immediately change the stock to a collapsible as well as swap out the upper for a light barrel or "Civi" M4 profile upper and be perfectly fine?

Is this correct?

yep, only one exception, if you are under 21 but over 18 you can buy the non regulated AR, but you cannot own the regulated one, so while its legal to convert it after the fact, if you do it you have to be 21 to own it.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    yep, only one exception, if you are under 21 but over 18 you can buy the non regulated AR, but you cannot own the regulated one, so while its legal to convert it after the fact, if you do it you have to be 21 to own it.

Can you cite a law reference for this. I always thought it was just for purchases.

As to the OP's original question. The lawmakers threw some crumbs to Colt because they (Colt) were the main manufacturer at the time. Colt was doing all that crazy stuff (neutered carriers, sear blocks, larger pin sizes, etc.) to pander to the anti's at the time.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    AR-50s have heavy barrels, I picked one up once, very heavy.

Non regulated right?

AR-50's are not AR-15's and thus not regulated, even with a "lightweight" barrel... as if such a beast existed. It is NOT an "assault weapon" at 34 lbs, bolt action, and single shot.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Can you cite a law reference for this. I always thought it was just for purchases.

As to the OP's original question. The lawmakers threw some crumbs to Colt because they (Colt) were the main manufacturer at the time. Colt was doing all that crazy stuff (neutered carriers, sear blocks, larger pin sizes, etc.) to pander to the anti's at the time.

He is right, I don't have time to look it up, but possession of a regulated firearm in Maryland (unless for defensive purposes to address an immediate threat or with immediate "adult supervision") is illegal for anyone under 21 years of age.

Mark

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    He is right, I don't have time to look it up, but possession of a regulated firearm in Maryland (unless for defensive purposes to address an immediate threat or with immediate "adult supervision") is illegal for anyone under 21 years of age.

Mark

I'll wait but I think it is only for handguns.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'll wait but I think it is only for handguns.

Nope, see below:

§ 5-133. Restrictions on possession of regulated firearms.

(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and
    2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title (there is no subtitle 3!); or (vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    AR-50's are not AR-15's and thus not regulated, even with a "lightweight" barrel... as if such a beast existed. It is NOT an "assault weapon" at 34 lbs, bolt action, and single shot.

Mark

ya, you're right, i had a brain fart, for some reason i thought he was refering to one of those .50 uppered AR-15s.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Nope, see below:

(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

I sit semi-corrected. It looks like (vi) leaves a little wiggle room. You couldn't take the firearm from your house though if you were under 21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom