• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Can i still buy a rifle from someone without going through the Goverment? I was confused by the gun bill stuff.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Can i still buy a rifle from someone without going through the Goverment? I was confused by the gun bill stuff.

Yes. As long as you're not selling to someone you believe to be prohibited from buying it, and the gun can be legally transferred (say, it's not on Maryland's naughty list per 2013). Make a detailed bill of sale for your own protection. Presumably this is not being shipped, etc? Strictly face to face?

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Yes. As long as you're not selling to someone you believe to be prohibited from buying it, and the gun can be legally transferred (say, it's not on Maryland's naughty list per 2013). Make a detailed bill of sale for your own protection. Presumably this is not being shipped, etc? Strictly face to face?

ok thanks was just curious you answered my question. I have done several car trunk sales but not for years. Thought it was one of the things in that bill last year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They tried that last year and will probably try again this year

Yes, there was a bill last year, but it failed at the 11th hour.

There were (SHOCK!) some very poorly thought out things in the bill, even from a gun grabbers prospective.

It'll be back this year. You can count on it. If the feds are pushing UBC hard, MD will get it done.

My expectations are MD will go UBC, but without a long gun license like there was in the bill. Either no license, or they'll turn the HQL in to a Gun License and everyone will need to get one to buy a gun.

I'd expect the 7 day wait to also be extended to long guns from regulated firearms. If I were to take a wild ass guess, probably also a limit of 1 per 30 days. If MD GA is really generous, they might extend the collectors license to also cover purchase of more than 1 long gun in 30 days.

May or may not have any exceptions for C&Rs. Probably won't have an exception for FFL-03/C&R license holders (I was shocked there was one in the original bill, not surprised it was pulled).

I don't want one. Since I'd bet at least one of my kids it is coming, selfishly I hope they do have an exception for C&R license holders. Also that they extend the 1 per 30 day limit to people with collectors licenses. Its a load of crap that C&R license holders have no exemption from regulated firearm purchases in Maryland (but being a federal license, they do outside of Maryland).

No idea what other level of stupid Maryland will do. I'd be surprised if the HBAR ban doesn't come back up. As stupid as MGA is, I'd bet they'll write it this time to grandfather HBARs purchased after Oct 2013 to tamp down the furor a little. I don't think they'd be willing to go full Beto and ban things without grandfathering (I expect that'll take them at least a few more years).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If my understanding of MGA procedures is correct (always iffy at best), I believe they're required to first take up any bills vetoed by the Governor from their last session. If so, some of the more onerous pieces of legislation my be voted on immediately in an attempt to override the vetos. Or...they could not vote immediately but amend the bills to have even more objectionable proposals added.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ok thanks was just curious you answered my question. I have done several car trunk sales but not for years. Thought it was one of the things in that bill last year.

Only legal if both buyer and seller are residents of the same state.

So MD resident can sell to MD resident, but not to PA resident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom