Arisaka Type 99, my first C&R purchase :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Good deal!

Okay, so get a short cleaning rod and then I can ditch the remnant I have.

No monopod, huh? Okay.

What about the sling? I've seen pics of the rear strap with a side band for the sling. Mine has a small bare metal hoop on the bottom of that strap. The rear sling attachment has been relocated to the bottom of the stock. You can still see the old mount spot on the side of the stock. What do you think is the best way to get the sling straightened out?

geeded

Feb 14, 2013
    Mountains of Western NC
    Good deal!

Okay, so get a short cleaning rod and then I can ditch the remnant I have.

No monopod, huh? Okay.

What about the sling? I've seen pics of the rear strap with a side band for the sling. Mine has a small bare metal hoop on the bottom of that strap. The rear sling attachment has been relocated to the bottom of the stock. You can still see the old mount spot on the side of the stock. What do you think is the best way to get the sling straightened out?

Well, monopods were/weren't used during the s/n range you have. If you want one, GA. However, the monopod folds forward and is a press fit around the front band. If one was fitted, there will probably be marks in that area where it fit.....or not. It's going to be a repro pod so you can put one on if you want. No one to say it does/doesn't belong due to the s/n.

Post a picture of the left rear of the stock so I can see what you have. Depending what's there, we'll know what belongs there. I have some spare Arasaka parts in the basement, so I might have the correct sling swivel. I also might have a bolt body and 3 screw front band. I'll have to check. I don't know if I have a short cleaning rod or not. I've got screws and other parts also. I just haven't checked in a long time.

I'll check when I know what the deal is with the sling swivel. No promises. I'll just have to check.

Cheers

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Well, monopods were/weren't used during the s/n range you have. If you want one, GA. However, the monopod folds forward and is a press fit around the front band. If one was fitted, there will probably be marks in that area where it fit.....or not.

There are no marks that I can tell around the front of the stock that would suggest a monopod was installed in the past. So I'll let that slide for now.

Of course, you can also get the one that came with it straightened. If the safety and the firing pin match the bolt you have, it might be worth it to get the knob straightened since it would then be bolt that at least matched itself.

So, the bolt assembly is all matching; all three parts are stamped 427. I think I'll call the guy mentioned earlier in this thread to see what he would charge to straighten the bolt handle.

Arisakaboltassembly_zps5309b8ef.jpg

I got the replacement front strap and swapped that out tonight. Not to much trouble; until I went to put the bayonet on. It won't go on. It will slip onto just the barrel, and with the front strap off it will slip over the bayo lug, but on the rifle it won't go onto both pieces. :/ Not sure what to do there. Here's the two front straps. Looking at this pic, they look different, but they are the same, except the paint.

Arisakafrontbandcomparision_zpsa3d543eb.jpg

Post a picture of the left rear of the stock so I can see what you have. Depending what's there, we'll know what belongs there. I have some spare Arasaka parts in the basement, so I might have the correct sling swivel.

Here's the butt stock and what bubba did with the sling swivel.

Arisakabuttstockhinge_zps0fce3136.jpg

Arisakaslingmountrear_zps9ebcb26d.jpg

What do you think?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Where can we find ammo for these suckers? Been looking and only finding 'out of stock'. :/

I bought brass (Norma I think) and use enfield bullets (.313 I think?) And H4895 as the propellant.

I have the load info if u need it.

Good meeting you Sunday.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Nice meeting you too! I hope we see some results from our efforts.

Reloading is completely new to me; I have barely looked at what equipment you need. So I wouldn't know what to do with the info, but please post it up so I can refer back to it later. I am going the route of reloading, but have much to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom