• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I wasnt expecting them to vote on it tonight. Thank god the R's stuck together on this one. Another reason to come out to thank them on the 29th.

usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    Now that this passed, when can us AACO citizens go buy a taser? I believe 45 days was mentioned above, is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    It can still be vetoed by the county executive. If not then it will become law automatically.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I dont want to hijack this thread but you can see my thread about dinner with David Keene.

No worries, I'll check it out.

---------------

I just finished sending each of them an email, each slightly different depending on how they voted, etc. They were variations of this:

Councilman Xxxxxx,

I appreciate your thoughtful consideration and deliberation regarding Bill 18-13 regarding citizens ability to defend themselves with electronic control devices (i.e. Tasers and stun guns).

People should be judged by their intent and actions; but instead many focus on the tool. My associates and I were very disappointed that the governor has made it his mission to exploit the tragedy at Sandyhook elementary school to further an agenda that seeks to make lawful gun ownership as costly and onerous as possible. It concerns me deeply that a very small number of irresponsible people would even dream of such heinous acts; but it troubles me more when law makers go out of their way to disarm the vast majority of good people that could prevent these tragedies. I can only think what might have happened if one or more of the teachers or facility members had a weapon, such as a taser; how many lives might they have saved? Criminals by very definition are not going to follow the law; so prohibiting law-abiding citizens from owning and possessing a proven self defense device such as a Taser simply makes no sense.

Tonight you were part of a much larger debate about right and wrong, good and evil; where we are going as a nation. We greatly appreciate your support that will soon allow some citizens a reasonable and legal means to defend themselves and their families.

Self defense is a civil right.

Respectfully,

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Success - so far

Is the vote tonight, or is there time to have others chime in??

As Minuteman said, Bill 18-13 passed the AA County Council by one vote along party lines.

Thanks to all who showed up of course, but also thanks to all of you who called or emailed the councilmen. That was key to victory. I was concerned that we had two councilmen who seemed to be leaning the other way, but all of your efforts were sufficient to get them to support legalizing self defense tools.

Congratulations to you all. You earned the victory.

Now that this passed, when can us AACO citizens go buy a taser? I believe 45 days was mentioned above, is that true?

It can still be vetoed by the county executive. If not then it will become law automatically.

So here are the exact rules from the AACO Code Article III Section 307 Paragraphs (i) and (j):

The County Executive has 10 days to sign the ordinance. If she signs the ordnance, or if she takes no action within 10 days, the bill will become law. 45 days after she signs it or after that 10 day period, it will take effect. That's the point where you can buy and possess a Taser or stun gun.

If she vetoes the ordinance, then the County Council can override the veto with 5 votes. That won't happen; we don't have 5 votes on the council.

So it is imperative that the County Executive support 18-13 if this is to become law. We're not yet out of the woods. Two different councilmen remarked this evening that the County Executive had not expressed an opinion on the bill, and that was considered unusual by them.

Now I have a well placed inside source who informed me this evening that she is leaning towards support of 18-13. But I'm also sure the other side will be lobbying hard to get her to change her mind. It is critical, therefore, that we provide her some backbone and to let her know that we want her to support and to sign 18-13.

The Anne Arundel County Executive is Laura Neuman. She is new; she just recently replaced John Leopold who was forced to step down. Please contact her and let her know that you want her to sign 18-13 which would remove the ban on ECDs in AACO.

The County Executive web page is: http://www.aacounty.org/CountyExec/#.UXVR9jfLt_8
    Her email address is: lneuman@aacounty.org
    And her phone number is: (410) 222-1821

One more step. We're real close. Let's not stop now. Make the call and/or send an email to her.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    "Nataf said the council’s selection reveals how divided its Republicans are. Council Vice Chairman John Grasso, R-Glen Burnie, voted for Hammond; Councilmen Dick Ladd, R-Severna Park, and Derek Fink, R-Pasadena, voted for Schuh."

Sounds like its nothing's a given.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Ladd and Grasso were the only ones who responded to me.

I'll be sending them a note of thanks, and encouraging Neuman to 'make it so'...

According to the report on WBAL radio this morning, her signing it is "likely".

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Added my voice to Ms. Neuman, hopefully it will help her understand the citizens point of view on this bill.

Brian
    -------------------------------

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    --James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 46

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The news reported on the story 3 hours ago: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/...-lifts-ban-on-tasers-stun-guns-for-residents/

There is one glaring typo in that article.

Yes, I can assure everyone that I did NOT say "We can’t fight off most attackers without a took at our disposal." :)

Of course I'm hardly in a position to complain, given that my after-action report cited the wrong bill number (since corrected). Given I was the thread OP you'd think I'd know better, eh? :innocent0

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    So the pansy politicians don't want the death penalty due to accountability. So they are providing the tools for citizens to carry out death by electrocution. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom