Can't pull the trigger on scope purchase..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    Looking for scopes and can't pull the trigger on any of them. I look and look and finally find one....then no dice. I think I'll kick myself afterwards. I'm stuck in an odd market for scopes. There are many cheap brand scopes that have the features I want, but I want at least low end quality optics. I'm looking for a 2-7x that is compact to keep the weight over the pistol grip and to be under 150. Ncstar seems to have the most of these compact scopes, but I really don't think I want one of those scopes(though I'm basing this solely on reviews and things I've heard about this brand) Can anyone help??

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    There are many cheap brand scopes that have the features I want, but I want at least low end quality optics.
    You just answered your own question, run away from NCstar

I'm looking for a 2-7x that is compact to keep the weight over the pistol grip and to be under 150.

Are you heart set on a 2-7?
    The weight tends to balance itself out.

What are you going to be using this rifle for?

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    varmint hunting, target shooting, and some tactical drilling. i really think the 2-7 would be more versatile for the first 2 and is a good compromise between 3-9 for the hunting/target and 1-4 for tactical shooting.........looking at a millet dms though. any scopes like that but a little cheaper?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    that nikon is nice, but i can't justify putting a 375 dollar scope on a 425 gun. m&p 15-22 if i didnt mention

Unless this is the only gun you'll ever have, then buy once and when you get other guns.... you can use the scope on a more expensive gun. By the way you can get the 1-4 scope for $279 with the mount. If you want a cheap scope Bushnell 3200's are about $200, it's fixed 10 power (but mil x mil), but for the price... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...copes - Under 12X-_-PriceCompListing-_-950843 or the 2-7 version http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/bushnell-elite-3200-2-7x32mm-riflescopes-322732m.html

The Bushnell Elites have a good warranty.

Buddy

Aug 2, 2010
    PA
    hows the quality on those centerpoint scopes? are they anything like ncstars and barska? i've heard negative things about those

I have not had any trouble from mine. The lens is clear holds tight groups. (Not as clear as a high doller nikon) If you don't like it walmart will take it back.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm looking at 1-4x too. I like the versatility of the 2-7, but I want to do some run and guns and think the 1-4 would be better, but im still undecided

Ya, it's a tough decision... I think though that you might be well served to consider the scope independently of the gun and think about what kind of shooting you plan to do most. If it will all be under 400 yards (like most people) I think that a 1-4 is a great choice unless you are doing bench rest stuff, but even close up a 2x scope won't mess you up too bad, it will just be less "quick".

A cheap red dot is also handy to have, after all, if you are doing close up run and gun, you just need to know where the bullet is going, you don't need incredible precision. A red dot with a 3x magnifier is an interesting combination. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=189614

adodson

Jun 12, 2007
    Towson, MD
    Dude... don't skimp on glass no matter what the gun is. These are words of experience. If you need to keep the price down, there are options (like this) Comes in 2-7 and 3-9.

If you like the rifle and want to enjoy shooting it, a solid piece of glass on top is KEY. Save for an extra week or two. Also - do not skimp on the rings. Get quality, which can be had for under $100 as well.

I like to think of it like this - a cheap set-up will run you about $150. For me, $150 is a good chunk of change that I can not separate with lightly. If you are even a little bit of a serious shooter, I would bet that you will become quickly upset with your cheaper-than-chips rig. So, you will throw the whole thing out and start from scratch - only this time, you'll be $150 in the hole. If you're willing to part with $150 for a cheaper set-up that may not be exactly what you had in mind, why not part with $250 or so and get something that you won't throw to the way-side?

Burris also makes some quality glass in the lower price range, as well as decent rings.

Remember, this is just my opinion. I have learned from experience, though. And, sadly, I work in the industry so I get to see hundreds of people a year make the same mistakes. Just food for thought.

Good luck and get that credit card heated up!

-Andy

Kilgore Trout

Dec 18, 2010
    I'm in the same boat (looking for a scope for a M&P 15-22) and I have settled on a nikon 223 (1-4x) or a vortex strikefire. Totally different I know, but I look at the 15-22 as a recreational shooter and I could have fun with either. I really want the vortex viper pst, but just can't justify a scope that costs as much as the rifle.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    I've been thinking about it more and more lately and now I'm not even sure if I want a regular scope. I've seen lots of good opinions on Primary Arms red dots so I was thinking of getting one of those, but anybody have experience with their magnifiers?? Also I have no problem throwing down the cash for something thats really worth it, but it better be damn versatile. Like I'm not gonna buy an aimpoint when I could buy a decent red dot and magnifier for the same price...

Today I zeroed the scope in at 50 yards, then went to 100 yards. First I used milsurp nato rounds, then I shot 5 with match ammo bench rest. I'm happy! The Saiga is not a tack driver like my Remington 700 with the $1000 Burris but the little scope is fine for short distance.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I've been thinking about it more and more lately and now I'm not even sure if I want a regular scope. I've seen lots of good opinions on Primary Arms red dots so I was thinking of getting one of those, but anybody have experience with their magnifiers?? Also I have no problem throwing down the cash for something thats really worth it, but it better be damn versatile. Like I'm not gonna buy an aimpoint when I could buy a decent red dot and magnifier for the same price...

The vortex magnifier should be "good enough" for your use. You're not likely going to be shooting in low light or combat conditions where you'll need a quick detachable magnifier.

I picked up this cheap Sig red dot for $89, seems decent enough. It was panned in reviews, but really, it's about the same as my Aimpoint red dot. I can tell a slight difference.

http://www.botachtactical.com/sigsastmired.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom