• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am finally entering the world of handguns. I used to have a hunting rifle and a plinking rifle, but got rid of them 25 years ago when I got married.

I recently got both my C&R permit and my HQL since I wasn't sure what I wanted to get in the way of a handgun. I have settled on picking up a Walther Creed since from what I have read and seen, it seems to be a good gun for a first time handgun user. Now I just have to find a dealer in the Carroll County area that is carrying the restricted model.

I have joined here in the hopes of learning more about handguns and their proper and safe use.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 373

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I recommend against the Creed. The PPQ M2 is a much better gun for not a lot more money. If you can make it to the Timonium gun show I believe South Mountain Arms had both in stock. They're in Frederick but its not too far out of your way.

Although you really should just buy Glock.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

So for his first handgun he should buy a near $1k gun with an antiquated design, metal construction, a 10 lb trigger and a lower standard capacity that takes a 50% hit in value if he ever wants to sell it?

Or do you mean the SIGlock 320? Because the only thing that has going for it is modularity but when the APX hits the streets it's gonna blow it out of the water.

Or he could go with the gun good enough for the Navy SEALs. AKA the Glock.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    So for his first handgun he should buy a near $1k gun with an antiquated design, metal construction, a 10 lb trigger and a lower standard capacity that takes a 50% hit in value if he ever wants to sell it?

Or do you mean the SIGlock 320? Because the only thing that has going for it is modularity but when the APX hits the streets it's gonna blow it out of the water.

Or he could go with the gun good enough for the Navy SEALs. AKA the Glock.
    YES!:D SIG P938

(OP, we're just having some friendly banter/joking around. Pick the gun that you like.)

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I was honestly wondering if anyone was going to comment on my gun of choice. Glad that I could grab my big wooden spoon and stir up the controversy. There are a number of reasons that I want to go with the Creed. Like I mentioned, it is supposedly a good gun for first timers. Also, since this is my first and I am not sure how far I will go with this, (how many guns, how often I shoot them, etc), I don't want to start with a huge outlay of money. When the PPQ M2 was mentioned, I checked the web site for a shop near me. I believe that they have it listed for just over $700. As it turns out, they have the Creed in stock now, too, for just a little over half of that. I figured that I don't want to put much money into it right now but still go with quality (no Highpoint for me). So I think I know what I might be doing this weekend.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I was honestly wondering if anyone was going to comment on my gun of choice. Glad that I could grab my big wooden spoon and stir up the controversy. There are a number of reasons that I want to go with the Creed. Like I mentioned, it is supposedly a good gun for first timers. Also, since this is my first and I am not sure how far I will go with this, (how many guns, how often I shoot them, etc), I don't want to start with a huge outlay of money. When the PPQ M2 was mentioned, I checked the web site for a shop near me. I believe that they have it listed for just over $700. As it turns out, they have the Creed in stock now, too, for just a little over half of that. I figured that I don't want to put much money into it right now but still go with quality (no Highpoint for me). So I think I know what I might be doing this weekend.

I spent $75 on my shoes, $40 on my pants, $12 on my belt and $150 on my sunglasses. I count on none of those to save my life. The PPQ M2 has much better features and is a more coveted gun. It will hold its value well. (BTW no one should pay MSRP think of it like sticker price on a car, only idiots pay that).

It's s reliable, popular and good firearm. If you go to the show, bring cash and stop by Blue Fins to say hey and get some good advice on what to look for.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...er+2796066+PPQ+M2+9mm+4"+Black+Poly+Grip+15+1
    $550 for the PPQ m2...although I prefer the M1 because I am a big fan of that paddle mag release. $700 is way too much for a PPQ. As with all relatively big purchases, be sure to shop around and see if they'll beat competitor prices.

Also, don't be afraid to check out used guns(especially a used glock). Police trade-ins usually have very little internal wear, as they're worn in a holster and used very little.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...42/Used+S&W+M&P40+NS+3+mags+Detroit+PD+Marked
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...nissued+S&W+M&P40+3+mags+NS+Detroit+PD+Marked

Picking up a used glock is sweet because you can get one for dirt cheap and if anything is wrong with it, the factory will fix it for you.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    You havent qualified your purpose, and there are so many options out there... Striker or hammer fired, revolver, internal or external hammers? Purposes can inclue open carry, concealed carry, home defense, range time, hunting, zombie apocalypse... Sizes range from competition extended lengths all the way to subcompact or even derringer.

Are you mechanically inclined or is easy cleaning a priority?

For myself i started with full sized glock 22 and a ruger mk3 competition .22. One shortcoming in md is that the glock will now come with only 10 round mags, or none at all.. These are two extremes as far as takedown and cleaning, but give a nice varity of range options. Later i added a 9mm barrel conversion, and advantag arms 22 conversion to the glock and have a wide variety of options at the range.

I dont carry, and dont hunt, and i do not feel it necessary to arm my house, but were situations to change (drastically) the g22 seems a nice open carry or bug out bag option.

Now recently ive explored single action revolvers and am having a blast, but this is more specialized, and get me into cowboy action or cowboy fast draw(with wax bullets). So sky is the limit, but i recommend renting or borrowing some guns first, then making a more informed decision... Even if its only that you have determined or just confirmed your initial impulse.

Point is there are a tremdous number of options. If price is a concern, realize ammo choice may have more importance than initial $, and for reange regulars it often makes sense to but whole new 9mm or even .22 just to reduce ammo costs over time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom