• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The bill is written so that residents of permitless carry states can carry permitless in any state. Read the portion after OR.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i'd be worried anything other than requiring recognition, ie requiring a permit starts to step on states rights.

this is conjecture. i'm no scholar of any kind

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I have to say, I don't support the way this bill is written. Either make the entire country permitless or make everyone get a permit. But there's a lot of moderates who are going to have a hard time being convinced that if you live in Florida, you should need to get a permit to take advantage of national reciprocity, but that if you live in Arizona, you shouldn't. Personally, I would make it so that to take advantage of reciprocity, you need to have a permit from a state that requires 8 hours in training. That would make it so that the liberals couldn't use the "untrained people carrying guns around" argument. I understand the position of the absolutists, but at this point, we need to win over moderates too.

LEOSA was supposed to be the first step towards nationwide reciprocity, getting the moderates to see it's not a danger, etc. It's been 10 years, nothing has changed. Instead, we need to demand everything we want while the pro-gun side holds the majority and let the chips fall where they may.

25 Democrat Senators are up for reelection in 2018, a number of them from states Trump won. Let them go into it with Ds and Fs from the NRA for not voting for reciprocity, hearing protection act, etc.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    LEOSA was supposed to be the first step towards nationwide reciprocity, getting the moderates to see it's not a danger, etc. It's been 10 years, nothing has changed. Instead, we need to demand everything we want while the pro-gun side holds the majority and let the chips fall where they may.

25 Democrat Senators are up for reelection in 2018, a number of them from states Trump won. Let them go into it with Ds and Fs from the NRA for not voting for reciprocity, hearing protection act, etc.

Concur. That's exactly right.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

And it would be very easy for even red state Democrats to say that they voted against a bill because it allows people with no permits to carry anywhere in the United States. I'd much rather get reciprocity (with a permit) with 60 votes than have the bill fail with 56 because we went for this stupid permitless idea (but only for certain people).

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    And it would be very easy for even red state Democrats to say that they voted against a bill because it allows people with no permits to carry anywhere in the United States. I'd much rather get reciprocity (with a permit) with 60 votes than have the bill fail with 56 because we went for this stupid permitless idea (but only for certain people).

A dozen states more or less have constitutional carry at this point though. I'd rather push constitutional carry from coast to coast. If a red state Democrat doesn't support it, they will be unemployed come 2018.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    A dozen states more or less have constitutional carry at this point though. I'd rather push constitutional carry from coast to coast. If a red state Democrat doesn't support it, they will be unemployed come 2018.

I think you overestimate the commitment to that level of gun rights among the average person there. One of our best arguments it that "Permit holders are among the most law abiding people." We lose that argument if people from constitutional carry states can carry anywhere. In any case, I can see the argument for requiring constitutional carry nationwide. I CAN'T see the argument for it ONLY for people from constitutional carry states.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

I donated a fair amount of $$ to LEAA, swallowing their "Once we get ours, we will fight for civilian carry" hype. Never happened. This is our time; make the most of it.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    When the time for voting comes I would make as much noise as I could to our and other "Nay" Congresscritters. Hopefully the bill won't be amended into nothing during the process. We've been "giving an inch" for decades. That needs to be OVER now. Time to

images

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I think you overestimate the commitment to that level of gun rights among the average person there. One of our best arguments it that "Permit holders are among the most law abiding people." We lose that argument if people from constitutional carry states can carry anywhere. In any case, I can see the argument for requiring constitutional carry nationwide. I CAN'T see the argument for it ONLY for people from constitutional carry states.

The moderates' personal feelings don't matter, the President is the policy director for his party, and the President-elect has said nationwide reciprocity is one of his priorities. They can follow along, or they can go without campaign financing and face a primary challenger who would go along with the agenda.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    The moderates' personal feelings don't matter, the President is the policy director for his party, and the President-elect has said nationwide reciprocity is one of his priorities. They can follow along, or they can go without campaign financing and face a primary challenger who would go along with the agenda.

And if you think Trump is going to waste political capital on getting Constitutional carry reciprocity versus permit reciprocity, you've got another guess coming. He's specifically said that "A permit, like a driver's license, should work anywhere."

I honestly can't believe that gun rights supporters think it's worth risking defeat just so that people from a handful of states (and ONLY they) don't need permits.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    And if you think Trump is going to waste political capital on getting Constitutional carry reciprocity versus permit reciprocity, you've got another guess coming. He's specifically said that "A permit, like a driver's license, should work anywhere."

I still think the kicker will end up being that if you don't have a home state permit, your home state can exclude you from carrying in your home state.

I hope I am wrong and Maryland gets bitchslapped.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I still think the kicker will end up being that if you don't have a home state permit, your home state can exclude you from carrying in your home state.

I hope I am wrong and Maryland gets bitchslapped.

I unfortunately agree. But again, I'd much rather "compromise" away the Constitutional carry provision than have this type of provision.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Weren't you arguing that you needed a home state ccw? If it wasn't you, I meant to post in response to who was arguing that. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom