• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    As much as anyone can decipher Chiago Politics, it seems like a threeway game of chicken.

If the legislaure goes along, then Il gets carry watered down to be 98% meaningless, but state still gets to claim the case is mooted. Acording to out Il sources, it only take 50% +1 to do that.

If not, then if the AG doesn't imeadatly file appeal , and she is branded as not being anti-gun enough, and works against her run for next Gov.

If she does file, and then looses, it will againt make her scapegoat, and depending on the timing of the ruling and the Il Primary as to the net effect.

It takes 50%+1 to accept the bill as amended, or 60% to pass the original bill over a veto. See section 9 here: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lrb/con4.htm

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I want this to go to SCOTUS just so I can see where the court stands on gun rights. I heavily expect a 4-5 decision but I’m not sure which side would win.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    As much as anyone can decipher Chiago Politics, it seems like a threeway game of chicken.

If the legislaure goes along, then Il gets carry watered down to be 98% meaningless, but state still gets to claim the case is mooted. Acording to out Il sources, it only take 50% +1 to do that.

If not, then if the AG doesn't imeadatly file appeal , and she is branded as not being anti-gun enough, and works against her run for next Gov.

If she does file, and then looses, it will againt make her scapegoat, and depending on the timing of the ruling and the Il Primary as to the net effect.

if Madigan actually files for cert won't the stay be extended?

also for these amendments and all or nothing package, or does each line item get a vote?

If she files it will buy her enough time to get through the election.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From CCRKBA:

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]IL GOV. QUINN PLAYS EMPEROR WITH
    CITIZENS’ CIVIL RIGHTS, SAYS CCRKBA[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]BELLEVUE, WA – Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn evidently believes someone elected him emperor of the Prairie State, considering his meddling with the state’s concealed carry legislation today, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said in reaction.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Gov. Quinn, using his amendatory veto authority, inserted his own gun control provisions in legislation adopted last month, including limiting the places where someone may carry, the number of cartridges someone can have in a defensive firearm and the level of concealment one must exercise, all in excess of the legislation passed by the State Legislature last month.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] “This isn't government of, by or for the people,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “This is government by imperial fiat.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] State lawmakers have until July 9 to override Quinn’s changes in the legislation, due to a federal court order secured in Moore v. Madigan, a case brought by CCRKBA’S sister organization, the Second Amendment Foundation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] “Quinn has taken it upon himself to dictate the level of safety a citizen can enjoy by placing an undo limit on the right to bear arms,” Gottlieb said. “Perhaps he should ask police officers to leave their spare ammunition at home.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] “He wishes to stigmatize legally-armed citizens by making it nearly impossible for them to dine out with their families, friends or business associates,” he continued. “He puts the burden on business owners, churches and other venues to assure the court’s mandates are followed regarding the carrying of firearms.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] “Quinn is playing petty politics with the lives of his constituents,” Gottlieb asserted, “and we hope Illinois lawmakers have the intestinal fortitude to override him when they return to Springfield next week for a one-day session.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation’s premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States. The Citizens Committee can be reached by phone at (425) 454-4911, on the Internet at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.ccrkba.org or by email to InformationRequest@ccrkba.org. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
    <Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family>​
    Copyright © 2013 Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, All Rights Reserved.​
    [FONT=&quot]Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    James Madison Building
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Voice: 425-454-4911
    Toll Free: 800-426-4302
    FAX: 425-451-3959
    Email: InformationRequest@ccrkba.org[/FONT]​

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    There doesn't seem to be any path remaining to get FOID carry at this time. The possible events:

A) The legislature approves the amended bill (hope not, it guts the right),

B) The legislature overrides the veto (better than 'A' but not as good as a SCOTUS appeal)

Or B) Madigan files for certiorari and gets a stay on the 7th's ruling.

Actually, I'm having trouble imagining a scenario in which the appeal to Scotus isn't mooted now. Either way the legislature goes, the appeal is mooted, right?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    One MUST have a FOID to POSSESS a firearm as an IL resident. I don't know the requirements for an out of state resident....sorry!

K... I'll do some more checking.

My memory is that people from out-of-state may have their firearms with them while in the state. Just need to figure out the details.

I'm not expecting to carry--just want to be sure hotel, etc. is still GTG.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    K... I'll do some more checking.

My memory is that people from out-of-state may have their firearms with them while in the state. Just need to figure out the details.

I'm not expecting to carry--just want to be sure hotel, etc. is still GTG.

I believe an FOID from another state qualifies, not sure about CCWs.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I believe an FOID from another state qualifies, not sure about CCWs.

Actually, it appears a valid permit from another state seems to qualify for possession while in IL. It doesn't look like it draws a distinction between permit to own v. carry.

As long as the firearm is properly unloaded and cased into and out of the hotel, it looks like we're good.

Will keep digging, though.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    There doesn't seem to be any path remaining to get FOID carry at this time. The possible events:

A) The legislature approves the amended bill (hope not, it guts the right),

B) The legislature overrides the veto (better than 'A' but not as good as a SCOTUS appeal)

Or B) Madigan files for certiorari and gets a stay on the 7th's ruling.

Actually, I'm having trouble imagining a scenario in which the appeal to Scotus isn't mooted now. Either way the legislature goes, the appeal is mooted, right?

I think that is correct. Since Quinn didn't completely veto the bill, it would replace the invalidated statute if accepted by the legislature. If the veto is overridden, that bill would replace the statute. Bummer.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    What happens if the legislature does nothing? Does that mean no carry law is passed and Foid carry is the rule of the land? Does this seem like a option they would take?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " Un Cerveza por favor "
    " ? Donde el bano ? " ( Crackberry doesn't do upside down question marks or the squigly over n's )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom