• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Virtually every single street protest/demonstration produces no result except the further galvanization of people who've already chosen a position on the issue. I don't know about you, but I've not only never once been even nudged towards a different position because of street theater - I usually find myself even less interested in their point of view. I think that's how almost everyone responds to this sort of thing.

Back in the civil rights march days, when peaceful protesters trying to undo the Democrats' racist policies displayed actual, real moral superiority and grace - it worked. It moved people. And it's because it was generally dignified, thoughtful, and of course, right on the substance. When Dixiecrat-types turned dogs and firehoses on them, THAT changed minds or at least inspired some action that was long overdue.

This crap today? Blocking streets and skipping school (before returning to their air-conditioned classrooms tomorrow to learn more about the horrors of western civilization) doesn't hold a candle to what people like King managed to accomplish by (generally) taking the high road. These shrill shriekers are just in it for the selfies with their friends.

Nailed it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Attachments

• 569C7EB9-B615-487B-9AEF-F51220135566.jpg
      569C7EB9-B615-487B-9AEF-F51220135566.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 435

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    why aren't they being yoked up, dragged off, and tossed in jail? They have no permit and it's not legal to shut down a street. Again, why does our side even bother playing by the rules when the rules don't seem to apply equally to everyone?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I saw them this morning at Connecticut and M st. Traffic was completely gridlocked. They succeeded in aggravating a lot of people.

The "protest" smelled like useful idiots and virtue signaling.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Where's Dave when you need him?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Watch the little sockpuppet spew nonsense -

Her parents are both lefty actors. 'Nuff said.

Supposedly she's been skipping school every Friday (plus whenever she's traveling presumably) to protest climate change. So she's not only an ignoramus, but a truant in Norway. But FEELZ!

I wish these morons would confine their protests to MOCO, where most of them live. But then they would have to contend with the MS-13 "children".

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    This crap today? Blocking streets and skipping school (before returning to their air-conditioned classrooms tomorrow to learn more about the horrors of western civilization)

Kids skipping school.

I'm sure that I'm stating the obvious, that the majority of the adults participating in StrikeDC are these kid's teachers, school administrators and parents.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Virtually every single street protest/demonstration produces no result except the further galvanization of people who've already chosen a position on the issue. I don't know about you, but I've not only never once been even nudged towards a different position because of street theater - I usually find myself even less interested in their point of view. I think that's how almost everyone responds to this sort of thing.

Back in the civil rights march days, when peaceful protesters trying to undo the Democrats' racist policies displayed actual, real moral superiority and grace - it worked. It moved people. And it's because it was generally dignified, thoughtful, and of course, right on the substance. When Dixiecrat-types turned dogs and firehoses on them, THAT changed minds or at least inspired some action that was long overdue.

This crap today? Blocking streets and skipping school (before returning to their air-conditioned classrooms tomorrow to learn more about the horrors of western civilization) doesn't hold a candle to what people like King managed to accomplish by (generally) taking the high road. These shrill shriekers are just in it for the selfies with their friends.

You're half right, but wrong on the reasoning for why protests used to work. The reason the protests of yore worked isn't because of your stated reason above, but because in addition to the protests, they actually mobilized voters to get rid of / change minds of their elected officials. I know we can't fix stupid, that's evident by all the people on this site that believe climate change is a hoax / some global scam. But these protesters fail to garner the actual intended effect of spurring folks to vote out shitty politicians, so in essence, you're unfortunately right: these won't accomplish much of anything other than gridlock.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    why aren't they being yoked up, dragged off, and tossed in jail? They have no permit and it's not legal to shut down a street. Again, why does our side even bother playing by the rules when the rules don't seem to apply equally to everyone?

*****I don't have an answer to your question above, but do have a male co-worker, whose kid attends a well regarded high school in Potomac, MD who is at this protest today. The mom graduated from Berkeley in the 80's and her only marketable skill was her looks as she married well, doesn't work, and encourages her kids to do this sort of thing. It's a street cred thing among liberal hippy commie types. None of what they do makes a piss of difference other than aggravating people who have to work for a living and can't get to work. The parents (at least the moms mostly..) aren't really parents, but more like "friends" and let their kid do whatever they like so long as they get good grades, get into a good college, and hopefully get a marketable skill, or marry money.

It's kind of pathetic to see some of these kids, who live in multi-million dollar homes, drive expensive cars, take family vacations to Bali, India, Argentina, Egypt, etc.. prattle on about climate change and global warming.. Even more pathetic is to see the Warren or Bernie 2020 signs in front of mansions, remembering that Warren and Bernie have specifically spoken of wealth taxes, confiscatory taxation to corporations, and basically excoriating the "rich", reparations for slavery, etc...:sad20:

I can't wait to hear all about how proud these folks are about their kids standing up against climate change! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom