• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    I guess I'm out of the loop, lol. First I've heard that Mossberg was going to make these factory. I don't see why there'd be a problem with the handgun review board, last year they approved a 12ga "other"(mag fed, with arm brace). Once these are on the roster and for sale, I'm definitely getting one. Don't care about practicality, I don't use shotguns for anything practical anyway. Just for fun :D

Mopar, if you wanna do group buy on these, count me in!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I believe concealing one of these would run afoul of the NFA laws. I need to find the statute and ATF letters. If I remember correctly a tax stamp is required to conceal it.

There is nothing in the NFA about concealing a firearm.

There *IS* a definition of a "concealable firearm" which is anything less than 26" in OAL. This is why you could theoretically have a bullpup rifle with an OAL of less than 26" and it would still be an SBR, even if it had a 16" barrel.

But there is nothing in the NFA about being allowed to conceal a firearm or not.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Clint Smith bringing his impeccable knowledge down for everyone to digest

I don't know anything about Clint Smith as a dude (I know about Thunder Ranch, and his thoughts on Scout Rifles, etc and I've read some of his stuff), and I've actually never seen a video of him before. Does he have some sort of degenerate nerve disease or something? He's got an odd way of talking.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Got to fondle this one in the wild 10 days ago at the Volusia Top Gun Range in Daytona Beach.

They had just gotten it a day or two before I was there. And I believe it was tagged at $390.

Attachments

• IMG_7047.jpg
      IMG_7047.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 473

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I don't know anything about Clint Smith as a dude (I know about Thunder Ranch, and his thoughts on Scout Rifles, etc and I've read some of his stuff), and I've actually never seen a video of him before. Does he have some sort of degenerate nerve disease or something? He's got an odd way of talking.

I believe what you are seeing in Clint Smith's delivery is a common hyperactive syndrome, ADHD. The giveaway is when he is seated he bounces his leg occasionally to keep his rhythm. ADHD folks usually gravitate toward action occupations because being still can be tortuous.

His speech delivery would be an accomodation to keep pace with the speed of his thoughts, which would run ahead of his spoken words. The structured cadence helps an ADHD person prioritize the feedback he gets from his speech pace rather than his thought pace. Stutterers use the same technique.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just a reminder, as has been stated, you can build one yourself (i.e., assemble one by adding the barrel to a pistol grip only receiver), but having manufactured a handgun, you cannot sell it... same as any home-manufactured gun.

You can sell guns you make yourself.

You just can not make them with the intent of selling them, or be "engaged in the business" of making them for sale without a license.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I believe what you are seeing in Clint Smith's delivery is a common hyperactive syndrome, ADHD. The giveaway is when he is seated he bounces his leg occasionally to keep his rhythm. ADHD folks usually gravitate toward action occupations because being still can be tortuous.

His speech delivery would be an accomodation to keep pace with the speed of his thoughts, which would run ahead of his spoken words. The structured cadence helps an ADHD person prioritize the feedback he gets from his speech pace rather than his thought pace. Stutterers use the same technique.

That wouldn't surprise me.

He's Marine and a Vietnam vet, has been a firearms instructor for decades and has taught thousands of people. His voice is going to reflect all those years of giving folks the business everyday.

This is a great interview with him from 2006
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/the-man-who-wanted-to-teach-an-interview-with-clint-smith/

Oh, like I said, I know a bit about the guy, it was just when I watched that video I realized that I don't think I'd ever actually seen a video of him talking or anything, and something in his delivery suggested some kind of neurological condition to me other than just being a badass. :)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Got to fondle this one in the wild 10 days ago at the Volusia Top Gun Range in Daytona Beach.

They had just gotten it a day or two before I was there. And I believe it was tagged at $390.

Do you recall if the receiver was marked in some way to indicate that it was a PGO receiver?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Did not see any special engraving on the receiver. At least nothing that caught my eye.

I just remember being astonished at the sub-$400 price.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I called Volusia Top Gun to doublecheck… And they say the receiver has no special markings or engraving and they confirm the price was $399.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    OK, if one lives in another state and owns a 14" SG, can I bring it into MD when I move?

Yes maybe. (I'm not 100% on NFA stuff)
    If it's a legal short barrel shotgun registered with the NFA/ATF whatever their offishul name is I think you can send them a change of address or file a form to tell them you're moving the gun from state to state.
    They (SBS') are NOT prohibited in the state of MD.

If it's a PGO firearm like the one this thread is about then IIRC no paperwork is needed but IANAL.

As hated as I am by some people on this forum (for reasons that befuddle me) someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom