• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because MD wanted to be the POC for handgun purchases when the NICS was established. 13 other states do the same thing.

State does handguns
    FFL does long guns

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    This also brings up another issue that I never understood. Why does the dealer do the 4473 when they don't do the NICS check for a handgun?

Per federal law they must keep a 4473 for a term of at least 20 years, or if they go out of business they must be turned in the the ATF.
    And since they have it logged in their bound book they need a paper trail to go with the firearm. Just my thoughts.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    This also brings up another issue that I never understood. Why does the dealer do the 4473 when they don't do the NICS check for a handgun?

A 4473 is required by law for an FFL to dispose of a firearm. Some states have a "memorandum of understanding" between the state, FBI and NICS where a valid concealed carry permit suffices in place of a 4473.

MD has a MOU for MSP to be the Point of Contact through NICS for handgun transfers. The dealer initiates the background check by having the buyer fill out the 4473 AND submitting a 77R to the MSP LD. MSP LD does their checks, calls NICS and recieves a NICS Transaction Number (NTN). The NTN is recorded on the 77R and forwarded to the FFL who records it on the 4473. They also record for long gun sales but its done the same day and if you watch the dealer you can see them record it on the 77R along with the firearm information.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Per federal law they must keep a 4473 for a term of at least 20 years, or if they go out of business they must be turned in the the ATF.
    And since they have it logged in their bound book they need a paper trail to go with the firearm. Just my thoughts.

I do understand the process, but since the dealer doesn't do the NICS for a handgun transfer, why is a dealer responsible for this? I do understand the dealer doing the 4473 on a long gun because they are performing the NICS thus needing to do the 4473. But with a handgun, the MSP is doing the NICS. Why isn't the MSP doing the 4473 and holding it for 20 years?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Because MD wanted to be the POC for handgun purchases when the NICS was established. 13 other states do the same thing.

State does handguns
    FFL does long guns

That's my point. Why isn't the state the official holder of the 4473? They did the NICS. Since the dealer does the NICS on a long gun, I do understand that they must do the 4473.

The MSP does the NICS, so why aren't they holding the 4473?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Two different things. 4473 existed long before an instant check was dreamed of.

Yes, the 4473 is the Federal form. Since the MSP does the NICS for handgun transfers, they should be the holder of the handgun 4473, not the dealer.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    A 4473 is required by law for an FFL to dispose of a firearm. Some states have a "memorandum of understanding" between the state, FBI and NICS where a valid concealed carry permit suffices in place of a 4473.

MD has a MOU for MSP to be the Point of Contact through NICS for handgun transfers. The dealer initiates the background check by having the buyer fill out the 4473 AND submitting a 77R to the MSP LD. MSP LD does their checks, calls NICS and recieves a NICS Transaction Number (NTN). The NTN is recorded on the 77R and forwarded to the FFL who records it on the 4473. They also record for long gun sales but its done the same day and if you watch the dealer you can see them record it on the 77R along with the firearm information.

I know that's how it's done, but my question is why is the dealer in the 4473 business, when they do not do the NICS for the handgun. I have no issues with the dealer holding the 4473 for a long gun purchase because they do the NICS on that long gun, but not a handgun purchase. The dealer is acting on behalf of the MSP when they (the MSP) complete the NICS check and give the dealer permission to transfer the handgun to the buyer.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I know that's how it's done, but my question is why is the dealer in the 4473 business, when they do not do the NICS for the handgun. I have no issues with the dealer holding the 4473 for a long gun purchase because they do the NICS on that long gun, but not a handgun purchase. The dealer is acting on behalf of the MSP when they (the MSP) complete the NICS check and give the dealer permission to transfer the handgun to the buyer.

Because a dealer is required by law to have a 4473 for each firearm they dispose of. Even if it comes from their personal collection. So they initiate the 4473 and MSP completes it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4473 existed long before there WAS any real time check. For many years the pen and paper 4473 was simply placed in a file cabnet maybe 3min after customer signed it, and stayed there gor 20yrs, or until an audit or trace.

Further -
    4473 is a required by and dealt with by ATF.
    NICS is run by FBI .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Because a dealer is required by law to have a 4473 for each firearm they dispose of. Even if it comes from their personal collection. So they initiate the 4473 and MSP completes it.

I know you're quoting the law as it is written. I'm looking for you to look outside the box. Since the MSP does the NICS, why aren't they holding the 4473?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because MSP isn't an FFL, and doesn't sell any guns.

They have an MOU with the FBI to be a middleman for certain NICS checks. They have no relationship with ATF .

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    But the MSP is the one running the NICS check not the dealer on a handgun purchase.
    But I definately agree with you that you shouldn't have to go twice.

Shoot you're right. Slipped my mind that MSP does NICS for handguns.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, federal form when initiating the transfer. Remember your answering questions and signing it to attest your ability to own a firearm. Second signature is when you actually take possession.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It still gets signed before delivery. So Feds should be OK.

You answer similar questions on the 77r, and MD has nothing to do with the 4473, so they should be happy.

And MD does not see/handle the 4473, so why does it matter when it gets filled out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's my point. Why isn't the state the official holder of the 4473? They did the NICS. Since the dealer does the NICS on a long gun, I do understand that they must do the 4473.

The MSP does the NICS, so why aren't they holding the 4473?

Because the Feds say the DEALER has to do and maintain the 4473.

As has been said, the 4473 has been around a long time. And applies to ALL states.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Why do you wait to get the HQL and the very next day have to wait for a background check to pick up the pistol you just bought?
    Why do you have to wait for a background check every 30 days when you buy a pistol, after you have bought one every 30 days for 15 years?
    Why does anyone think this is all about making "MY" life easier?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Why do you wait to get the HQL and the very next day have to wait for a background check to pick up the pistol you just bought?
    Why do you have to wait for a background check every 30 days when you buy a pistol, after you have bought one every 30 days for 15 years?

It's Maryland
    Why would you expect anything different from them.;)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Exactly. Because it's not about making life easier. The entire system is contrived to make it more difficult to purchase handguns, so less people will purchase handguns.

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    From kalister1:

Because the prohibitors for an HQL are different than the prohibitors for a 77R.

Because you could go out and do something in that 30 day period that could make you prohibited. Even after 15 years of buying handguns, you could get a PBJ for a crime of violence on your criminal history and voila...you're prohibited.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Exactly. Because it's not about making life easier. The entire system is contrived to make it more difficult to purchase handguns, so less people will purchase handguns.

We bitch about Md, son-in-law retired NJ LEO emailed me the following:

The last week in Oct, I applied for my handgun permit, the approval date was Jan 7 but the State Police didn’t call me until Jan 13. Sure is a long wait… In fact the wait is so long, that I actually got 2 permits this time. One for the G19 and another one just in case. They are good for 90 days and can be extended another 90 on request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom