• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hi folks:

I just ordered a Romanian TTC. I've seen several great YouTube videos on it. Any tips or tricks? It seems like the biggest challenge with it is reassembly because of that slinky-like recoil spring. I was wondering if there is some sort of after-market spring that is shorter but provides the same amount of resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'm not aware of any aftermarket TT33 recoil springs, but there may be. I've never looked for one. Fact is stripping, cleaning and reassembly is pretty simple. My Romy, Polish , Yugo M57 and Zastava M-70A clone are all alike. It just takes familiarity.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My wife can field strip, clean, and re-assemble her Rom Tok without any problem, and she hasn't got particularly strong hands, nor is she especially mechanically inclined. Don't over-think this one. You'll be fine. You just learn a little bit of technique.

DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I just bought one not to long ago and it had a sewer pipe for a barrel that was completely shot out. Ordered a replacement barrel from http://stores.polytechparts.com/tokarev-pistol-7-62x25-barrel-by-norinco/ and a barrel link from http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Tokarev-TT33-c175.htm these guys. Have not shot it yet with the new barrel installed but it cycles perfectly and everything seems to match up decently. You may find a replacement from one of the 2 links I gave.

Who sold you the sewer pipe?

Jul 1, 2012
    I just bought one not to long ago and it had a sewer pipe for a barrel that was completely shot out. Ordered a replacement barrel from http://stores.polytechparts.com/tokarev-pistol-7-62x25-barrel-by-norinco/ and a barrel link from http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Tokarev-TT33-c175.htm these guys. Have not shot it yet with the new barrel installed but it cycles perfectly and everything seems to match up decently. You may find a replacement from one of the 2 links I gave.

Mercy! At that price you could almost buy another pistol...

Love my Tok! If you can take apart a 1911, you'll be fine.

As in most things, taking it apart is easy - it's getting it back together that can prove to be troublesome :)

The difference from 1911 being, the Tok recoil spring squirts out sideways (and kinks) if you're not careful.

Hi folks:
    I just ordered a Romanian TTC. I've seen several great YouTube videos on it. Any tips or tricks? It seems like the biggest challenge with it is reassembly because of that slinky-like recoil spring.
    It takes a little dexterity & practice but once you get the hang of it, not too bad.
    Grab a few recoil/fp spring kits from Wolff (a spare or two just in case), and replace the firing pin spring while you're at it :)
    Good idea to put a new recoil & fp spring into an unknown, used pistol anyway, cheap insurance.
    Practice assembly with the old spring til you get the hang of it.

On mine the firing pin retaining "split pin" was replaced with a nail, and the FP was broken which seems to be common.
    Both are readily available though.

oh yeah, depending where you get it, it may be full of grease/cosmoline in which case you'll need to take it apart and clean thoroughly, esp the firing pin tunnel.
    It's an easy pistol to work on, only tricky part is taking apart the fire control block (hammer/sear) - which you shouldn't have to do.
    Wolff has a complete spring kit too for extractor spring, hammer, etc but it takes a little more testicular fortitude to go to that level as you need to punch some pins.
    The hammer spring is pretty strong too so getting the control block back together requires some effort and some sort of fixture to hold the block (a customized 2x4 is in my tool bag).

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks everyone for the input. My TTC arrived from Classicfirearms.com and it is a gem. 95 to 98% bluing is intact. No cosmolene, just a healthy coating of gun oil. The bore is clean and unpitted. The breakdown and assembly was easy (i'm a 1911 guy, so it wasn't too challenging). Even the holster is in nice shape.
    35ed8546e419433abf50ff611c0f978d.jpg
    422c478a4313b564a5805fc744c4e0e1.jpg
    e6babdf9772e15c2f7b6522c92b73f7b.jpg

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There ya go. Looks like you scored a nice one. :thumbsup:

But be careful. One by itself gets lonely. They do tend to multiply...;)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I am going to tell you an incredible secret:
    Find a tokarev with finish wear but a clean bore, and have her nitride treated.

I've had all my Yugo m57s treated, and it is like night and day. I was getting undue wear in the barrel of my one Yugo, possibly because of it not being quite hard enough. In any case, the leade was moving up gradually, and although I was indeed shooting mostly corrosive steel case, bimetal jacket, I was not happy about it. Hardening the bore solved that problem as well as making it damn near impossible to rust them, making it less imperative to clean meticulously after shooting corrosive ammo.

The whole thing feels like glass on glass now.

Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input. My TTC arrived from Classicfirearms.com and it is a gem. 95 to 98% bluing is intact. No cosmolene, just a healthy coating of gun oil. The bore is clean and unpitted. The breakdown and assembly was easy (i'm a 1911 guy, so it wasn't too challenging). Even the holster is in nice shape.

Congrats, that's definitely a winner.
    Discrete or billboard import mark?

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    I am going to tell you an incredible secret:
    Find a tokarev with finish wear but a clean bore, and have her nitride treated.

I've had all my Yugo m57s treated, and it is like night and day. I was getting undue wear in the barrel of my one Yugo, possibly because of it not being quite hard enough. In any case, the leade was moving up gradually, and although I was indeed shooting mostly corrosive steel case, bimetal jacket, I was not happy about it. Hardening the bore solved that problem as well as making it damn near impossible to rust them, making it less imperative to clean meticulously after shooting corrosive ammo.

The whole thing feels like glass on glass now.

Would you share where you had the nitride done and approx. cost ?
    John

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    35ed8546e419433abf50ff611c0f978d.jpg
    422c478a4313b564a5805fc744c4e0e1.jpg
    e6babdf9772e15c2f7b6522c92b73f7b.jpg

Looks sweet!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The import mark is obvious, but not awful. Unlike the cheesy ones that CAI makes, this one looks professionally stamped.
    c3fa0f1b14791effccb53bf3124b76c0.jpg

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    On my Yugo M57 I find it much easier to rack the slide if I cock the hammer back first. I don't know if anyone else has this problem of if it's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom