• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    MSP is well aware of NAVAIR pax's legal opinion. Personally I think their requirement is written specifically to ask for what NAVAIR won't provide. Security has suggested other options that are permissible, that MSP refuses to accept.

In case you haven't seen the attached. More over-reach by the MSP.

And the problem is not daily access it is the OPM Data Breach which has all of your information and your family information. So my current position does have a security clearance component to it, my day to day operations do not require it. What some of the other clearance that I do have I work with other federal law enforcement agency which were also in the OPM data breach so this memo is saying that I will not be able to get a wear and carry permit due to not having daily access to security material. Even though the threat is not daily access it is the Clarence process itself.

I figure it's highly likely that MSP knows how difficult this information is going to be to obtain and that is the exact reason that they are asking for it.
    Additionally, in our case, the command security manager does not have the authority to sign letterhead documents by direction of the Commanding Officer.

You are correct. Pax River asked legal for their opinion on the matter, and legal said not to comply. Also, LD knows this, and claims every other agency has no problem doing this, but pax is being a stick in the mud.

Sounds like you guys are all affiliated in someway with PAX River, who is your state delegate or Senator? We do have some good ones in SoMD, I would get one on the horn and start bitching.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Sounds like you guys are all affiliated in someway with PAX River, who is your state delegate or Senator? We do have some good ones in SoMD, I would get one on the horn and start bitching.

Yup. Already working on an email to Senator Waugh and Delegates Rey and Morgan.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Ask her why she will not petition bills out of committee.

Not now. I want to keep topics concise. Besides, I've talked to her several times on different issues and IMV, she's simply weak and goes along to get along.

My email has been sent to all 3. We'll see if I get a reply.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

I asked the entire somd delegation that question two sessions ion a row and two years ago they told me they didn't know the process and someone on here told me of a book with the processes in it so I sent that info to all of them, they thanked me and still did nothing. the next time the excuse was that they were fairly new and didn't have any clout so why try when they said they knew they would fail, my answer was nothing beats a try but a failure and at least if they tried other reps would have to go on record as to opposing self defense which may not go over well with their constituents. still nothing.

don't get me wrong, I really like our pro 2a delegation but they kinda lack a spine or maybe a leader among them? hopefully they will do better next session. we will see.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I asked the entire somd delegation that question two sessions ion a row and two years ago they told me they didn't know the process and someone on here told me of a book with the processes in it so I sent that info to all of them, they thanked me and still did nothing. the next time the excuse was that they were fairly new and didn't have any clout so why try when they said they knew they would fail, my answer was nothing beats a try but a failure and at least if they tried other reps would have to go on record as to opposing self defense which may not go over well with their constituents. still nothing.

don't get me wrong, I really like our pro 2a delegation but they kinda lack a spine or maybe a leader among them? hopefully they will do better next session. we will see.

Real quick answer:

Petitioning a bill out of committee does not guarantee a floor vote on it, because there are three possible outcomes:

1. Floor vote (what we want
    2. Sent back to committee and thus out in the desk drawer (again)
    3. Special ordered until 2359 on sine die (essentially preventing any progress to be made on it for the entire session).

If you would like to discuss this more, I would be happy to, in another thread.

Now, back to the discussion at hand, the damned letter from MSP asking for information they have absolutely no need to know, signed by an NCO that has absolutely no authority to do so, no care for those that he serves, and the letter being able to be sent out without any concern from the head Executive of the State.

(Did I miss anything?)

wolfdad

Older Shootin' Geek
    Mar 2, 2011
    Earth, I think..........
    MSP Letter

Navy Craig,
    This is being run up through 7.0 for further comment and, I doubt any action. As somebody else succinctly stated, MSP "may (I seriously doubt it)" know that this will not pan out and that is precisely why they did it. I am hoping that it will rise even further and, perhaps find its way to the Pentagon for them to crunch on. I can't get a date for an HPRB review until 23 October 17 (I am taking this all the way for two reasons...one, I don't like being told no about something I shouldn't even have to ask for and two, I have very valid reasons for needing the CCW). What is even more ironic to me is that I can teach the required CCW training, but I am "retired" so not relevant enough to have a CCW....total and unadulterated BS.

And, again, since when does a MSP first sergeant make Maryland state firearms policy. If you note, Hogan's name is on that stationary, too.

teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Navy Craig,
    This is being run up through 7.0 for further comment and, I doubt any action. As somebody else succinctly stated, MSP "may (I seriously doubt it)" know that this will not pan out and that is precisely why they did it. I am hoping that it will rise even further and, perhaps find its way to the Pentagon for them to crunch on. I can't get a date for an HPRB review until 23 October 17 (I am taking this all the way for two reasons...one, I don't like being told no about something I shouldn't even have to ask for and two, I have very valid reasons for needing the CCW). What is even more ironic to me is that I can teach the required CCW training, but I am "retired" so not relevant enough to have a CCW....total and unadulterated BS.

And, again, since when does a MSP first sergeant make Maryland state firearms policy. If you note, Hogan's name is on that stationary, too.

I'm really curious to hear how the competency handles this, though I agree with your assumption of "no-action" being the likely outcome. Thanks for leading this effort!

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I spoke to the First Sgt via email and then phone early this morning. The take-aways are these:
    - They do indeed monitor these pages as he actually mentioned this thread and called me out by my handle of Navycraig. Made me chuckle.
    - MSP LD states that they are receiving this requested information from many other sources who are willing to provide it. Sates that PAX folks are the only ones who won't.
    - Discussed that they had a DoD agency come to MSP and provide them training and were told it's perfectly fine for the applicant to provide the requested information. He would not tell me who provided the training so that I could contact them, but said he would give them my contact information if they were willing to contact me to discuss. My guess is that they won't.
    - We ended at an impasse where they state they need the information and are getting it in other cases. I state that we (PAX proper. Not speaking for NAVAIR or other tenant commands) can't and won't provide the information because we're not authorized to because they don't have the need to know. Furthermore, we have no way of knowing if and how they protect the PII associated with the information and lastly, by providing the information for them to have in their records, that makes those applicants even more vulnerable in the even of a hack.

It was an interesting discussion. Polite and professional, but nothing resolved.

--Break--

I emailed Waugh, Rey, and Morgan and have already gotten a reply from Morgan's office. He has already sent a letter to the Superintendent of MSP asking about this new requirement. We'll see what happens.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I had mentioned in another thread my interest in understanding how people are using the OPM breach and security clearances for their G&S. Am I correct in assuming that people are using the fact that they carry security clearances and have access to various levels of classified material as justification? Thanks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Just to clarify, JPAS is the database where all relevant government (not hacked yet, but give it time) individual security clearance data is held. It is a violation to print out, distribute or otherwise disseminate any/all JPAS information (any PSO, FSO or SSO can lose not only their JPAS access, but their clearance for this violation). BTW, for those of you reading, it is a federal violation to copy or allow to be copied, your CAC card, military ID card or retired military ID card. I was denied at the interview and the informal review levels because I am "retired" and, no longer require access to classified, which is a total BS argument. I am under non-disclosure agreements for the rest of my life (need to know and MSP doesn't) and still have knowledge at my still "active" clearance level that I cannot disclose. Plus, my last company has me on a part-time, on-call status, also documented (both telephonically and in writing by MSP). What is really bugging me is the fact that being "retired" seems to be a trip-wire for NO. The other question I have is since when does a first sergeant in the MSP dictate state firearms policy? And, IMHO, Hogan needs to grow a set and move forward. All I hear is "wait until the 2018 elections and maybe we will have enough delegates to allow Hogan to make a move." We are slowly falling into the "acceptance mode" vice the "fight" mode.

JPAS only holds up to SECRET COLLATERAL clearance data for DOD. Other agency NSI and compartment access data are held in myriad other databases, which also cannot be released to the MSP.

And JPAS hacking, though an interesting thought, requires JPAS to be online more than it is offline. That's all I can say about that :innocent0

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    It's not only security clearance

It's also a location designated on an ISIS kill list, Lexington Park, MD is one of them. The MSP seems to be in denial when a known terror organization lists your town; apparently, you do not have a need to protect yourself or your family.

http://www.snopes.com/2015/11/16/isis-kill-list/

Local article: http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0315/lexington-park-reported-on-isis-hit-list.html

The MSP will continue to deny, until an attack happens here.

Okay, that makes more sense. I was wondering since if it was just having the clearance and access to documents, there would be thousands in the AA county area in that situation. I was thinking it would perhaps apply if the person not only had access to, but was required to courier classified data.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You are correct. Pax River asked legal for their opinion on the matter, and legal said not to comply. Also, LD knows this, and claims every other agency has no problem doing this, but pax is being a stick in the mud.

LD is full of it. Professionally speaking, of course. And in many dimensions.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Okay, that makes more sense. I was wondering since if it was just having the clearance and access to documents, there would be thousands in the AA county area in that situation. I was thinking it would perhaps apply if the person not only had access to, but was required to courier classified data.

The irony: The MSP is coercing you to give up details on what kind of access you have, for the hope of allowing you to practice a fundamental right.

Anyone else would go to jail for extortion or espionage.

If the MSP has a bonafide investigation, they could get all the information they need for verification through the DoD law enforcement data exchange.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I agree. MSP is asking for it because they know they won't get it and that will allow them to not approve applications. :sad20::rolleyes::mad54:

Once this get rolling they will point to a few instances where some agencies are providing the information and use that as justification as to why all should.

I know of no agency Security Office or cleared contractor FSO that will release what LD wants. I used to get a request every year of so and politely declined. Hell, just try getting, say, DOE to accept a DoD clearance. :lol2:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You know, this has gotten absurd. Where is Hogan on all this? This kind of conduct goes far, far beyond just "following the law" and requiring "good and substantial."

Yup. This is willful and malicious obstruction of a civil right exercise.

Hogan should defund the LD to get their attention. Then refund and reconstitute it with law-abiding troopers.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Navy Craig,

The DoN JAG will just kick it back to the NAVAIR JAG and ultimately back to the originating unit to sort out. Probably with a note asking why they are biting DoN's ankle and stop it, we're doing adult work here. Don't ask me how I know. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom