• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Rights can expand, they don't contract.

well.. Rights do contract. People definitely have less privacy now than 100 years ago.

But.. the idea that banning concealed carry was ok misreads history. People should read Halbrook before commenting.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/05/01/the-right-to-bear-arms-by-stephen-halbrook-book-review/

Prohibitions on concealed carry came from the south and were also generally limited to the south. They were also initially struck down. Restrictions on CC were controversial. And a lot of states didn't ban it - ironically, in the North.

People making these silly arguments about CC and NY winning haven't read Halbrook (who is 3-0 and authored an amicus brief), haven't read Kopel's brief, and most importantly didn't listen to orals. The majority debated how far to go in the opinion, how badly NY would lose, not whether NY was losing. NY was especially ineffective here because they did not seem to have a fallback and not understand their audience. I dont know what they were smoking that day.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I would say your thought process is lacking, compared to 4 US Supreme Court justices that concurred on the Heller ruling, of which 3 are still sitting on the court. The 3 libs with Roberts and Alito, equals, NYSRPA losing..Though, it should be an 8-0 loss if not for legislating from the bench. And here it is again...The 19th-century is the time period, not New York's tradition of licensing in the 20th-century.

New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. v. Bruen

From Oral Arguments:

JUSTICE ALITO: Well, Heller -- and -and I will stop after this - Heller cited decisions going into the 19th century as confirmation of what it had already concluded based on text and history at or before the time of the adoption of the Second Amendment and said this is what it was understood to mean at the time and it's further evidence that this is what this right was understood to mean because it kept being reaffirmed by decisions that came after. But I find it hard to understand how later decisions and statutes, particularly when you start to get into the late 19th century and the early 20th century, can be used as a substitute for evidence about what the right was understood to mean in 1791 or 1868, if you think that's the relevant date.

Alito ruling against NYSRPA?

Alito wrote the dissent against NYSRPA v NYC being found moot and said that NYC's law was unconstitutional in paragraph IV(A).

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    well.. Rights do contract. People definitely have less privacy now than 100 years ago.

But.. the idea that banning concealed carry was ok misreads history. People should read Halbrook before commenting.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/05/01/the-right-to-bear-arms-by-stephen-halbrook-book-review/

Prohibitions on concealed carry came from the south and were also generally limited to the south. They were also initially struck down. Restrictions on CC were controversial. And a lot of states didn't ban it - ironically, in the North.

People making these silly arguments about CC and NY winning haven't read Halbrook (who is 3-0 and authored an amicus brief), haven't read Kopel's brief, and most importantly didn't listen to orals. The majority debated how far to go in the opinion, how badly NY would lose, not whether NY was losing. NY was especially ineffective here because they did not seem to have a fallback and not understand their audience. I dont know what they were smoking that day.

Not sure why you want to believe RKBA commentators, over sitting US Supreme Court justices that signed onto the Heller understanding of the right, but more power to ya.

Are you calling this guy silly?
    https://rumble.com/vg6uhl-justice-scalia-said-concealed-carry-is-not-a-right.html

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    They basically allready voted on the outcome of the case. All that is left now is writing the opinion. Once that is written they either concur in part and dissent in part.

They have to vote first to see who needs to write the majority opinion. Then additional opinions are written in dissent, or combination there of.

I suspect that the majority opinion has allready be written at this point. And the dissents are being written currently.

Or Roberts could change his vote again and go with the anti's.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Alito ruling against NYSRPA?

Alito wrote the dissent against NYSRPA v NYC being found moot and said that NYC's law was unconstitutional in paragraph IV(A).

Post up what he found to be unconstitutional. Also, who sought a concealed carry license in that case?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Some liberals are getting desperate as the announcement draws closer and are clinging to their belief that all guns are evil and must be controlled so that only the "approved" can use them because the masses can't be trusted. Now where is that picture of the crying liberal who lost?

They don't believe in God so they don't understand God given rights such as the right to keep and bear arms which, by the way, shall not be infringed.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Not sure why you want to believe RKBA commentators, over sitting US Supreme Court justices that signed onto to the Heller understanding of the right, but more power to ya.

Are you calling this guy silly?
    https://rumble.com/vg6uhl-justice-scalia-said-concealed-carry-is-not-a-right.html

lmao. Please bet all your money on that, for everyone sake. That way you will be too poor to have internet and can finally stop posting this silliness.

The quote, taken out of context, does not mean what you or Nichols think it means.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    lmao. Please bet all your money on that, for everyone sake. That way you will be too poor to have internet and can finally stop posting this silliness.

The quote, taken out of context, does not mean what you or Nichols think it means.

Imao too...Talk about silliness. Especially so, when the author of Heller clearly states that prohibitions on carrying concealed firearms are lawful under the 2nd Amendment and state analogues.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Imao too...Talk about silliness. Especially so, when the author of Heller clearly states that prohibitions on carrying concealed firearms are lawful under the 2nd Amendment and state analogues.

A quote taken out of context so Nichols can raise money from idiots like you.

My advice is to take your cues from people who have won at the Supreme Court, like Halbrook, Kopel, and Clement.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

That is not what was said.

Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose. See, e.g., Sheldon, in 5 Blume 346; Rawle 123; Pomeroy 152–153; Abbott 333. For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues. See, e.g., State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann., at 489–490; Nunn v. State, 1 Ga., at 251; see generally 2 Kent *340, n. 2; The American Students’ Blackstone 84, n. 11 (G. Chase ed. 1884). Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.[Footnote 26]

He certainly stated that "19th-century courts" considered prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons to be lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues. Nowhere does he state that concealed carry is currently not part of the right.

If you actually read and understand the reasoning behind the "19th-century courts" you will find it was prohibited because it was only associated with criminality. Today, the government routinely allows concealed carry for itself and it is not only associated with criminality.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Post up what he found to be unconstitutional. Also, who sought a concealed carry license in that case?
    The plaintiffs wanted NYC's premises license scheme declared unconstitutional because it would not let owners take their guns out of the city, to second homes, e.t.c. NYC stopped issuing hunting/ target shooting permits (restricted CCWs) resulting in the situation.
    For a similar reason, 38 N. Y. C. R. R. §5–23 also violated
    the Second Amendment. We deal here with the same core
    Second Amendment right, the right to keep a handgun in
    the home for self-defense. As the Second Circuit “as-
    sume[d],” a necessary concomitant of this right is the right
    to take a gun outside the home for certain purposes. 883
    F. 3d, at 58–59. One of these is to take a gun for mainte-
    nance or repair, which City law allows. See §5–22(a)(16).
    Another is to take a gun outside the home in order to trans-
    fer ownership lawfully, which the City also allows. §5–26(j).
    And still another is to take a gun to a range in order to gain
    and maintain the skill necessary to use it responsibly. As
    we said in Heller, “‘to bear arms implies something more
    than the mere keeping [of arms]; it implies the learning to
    handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep
    them ready for their efficient use.’” 554 U. S., at 617–618
    (quoting T. Cooley, Constitutional Law 271 (1880)); see also
    Luis v. United States, 578 U. S. ___, ___ (2016) (THOMAS, J.,
    concurring in judgment) (slip op., at 3) (“The right to keep
    and bear arms . . . ‘implies a corresponding right . . . to ac-
    quire and maintain proficiency in their use’”); Ezell v. Chi-
    cago, 651 F. 3d 684, 704 (CA7 2011) (“[T]he core right
    wouldn’t mean much without the training and practice that
    make it effective”).

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    A quote taken out of context so Nichols can raise money from idiots like you.

My advice is to take your cues from people who have won at the Supreme Court, like Halbrook, Kopel, and Clement.

You mean Justice Scalia took his own quote out of context in that audio recording?...I didn't know that was possible. Thanks for letting me know.

Hey camo556, you calling me an " idiot " (quoting camo556), is definitely a misconduct on this forum. I never calling anyone here that, yet have gotten a 1 month ban. I've noticed none of the typical righteous commenters haven't said a word.,,geee, I wonder why? Lets see if the moderator administers treatment fairly.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    The plaintiffs wanted NYC's premises license scheme declared unconstitutional because it would not let owners take their guns out of the city, to second homes, e.t.c. NYC stopped issuing hunting/ target shooting permits (restricted CCWs) resulting in the situation.

Just what I thought, no license to carry a concealed firearm was sought in that case. Not sure how you think they're the same type of case, but they certainly are not.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    That is not what was said..

That's exactly what he said.

He certainly stated that "19th-century courts" considered prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons to be lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues. Nowhere does he state that concealed carry is currently not part of the right.

If you actually read and understand the reasoning behind the "19th-century courts" you will find it was prohibited because it was only associated with criminality. Today, the government routinely allows concealed carry for itself and it is not only associated with criminality.

Exactly right, as today, New York decided that it wouldn't give concealed carry licenses to those wanting it for self-defense. And because concealed carry can be prohibited all together, as a majority of 19th-century courts have stated, NYSRPA will lose their case. You should read and understand what Justice Alito said at NYSRPA v Bruen orals...Here, I'll post it up yet again. Notice how the right is determined, not by what is currently happening today, but how it was understood at the time of its inception. US Supreme Court Justice Alito, explains it quite nicely.

From Oral Arguments:

JUSTICE ALITO: Well, Heller -- and -and I will stop after this - Heller cited decisions going into the 19th century as confirmation of what it had already concluded based on text and history at or before the time of the adoption of the Second Amendment and said this is what it was understood to mean at the time and it's further evidence that this is what this right was understood to mean because it kept being reaffirmed by decisions that came after. But I find it hard to understand how later decisions and statutes, particularly when you start to get into the late 19th century and the early 20th century, can be used as a substitute for evidence about what the right was understood to mean in 1791 or 1868, if you think that's the relevant date.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Exactly right, as today, New York decided that it wouldn't give concealed carry licenses to those wanting it for self-defense. And because concealed carry can be prohibited all together, as a majority of 19th-century courts have stated, NYSRPA will lose their case. You should read and understand what Justice Alito said at NYSRPA v Bruen orals...Here, I'll post it up yet again. Notice how the right is determined, not by what is currently happening today, but how it was understood at the time of its inception. US Supreme Court Justice Alito, explains it quite nicely.

From Oral Arguments:

What you fail to understand is that what a particular justice speaks is not authoritative. You need four other justices to concur in order for their written words to be authoritative.

Scalia was simply summarizing what was said in Heller. You are misunderstanding the issue because you are not understanding what the actual text in Heller says.

If we are to accept your argument, then NY cannot allow anyone including itself because it is simply not socially acceptable to carry concealed arms.

It undermines your argument when you say that NY can choose which arms are socially acceptable. NY simply cannot limit those it chooses to use in society to itself. That is the one thing everyone agrees.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    777- troll much? I don’t understand people like you, but I guess you have the right to keep throwing out bait, I just can’t figure out why its worth your time.

I was enjoying the positive aspects of this thread, but you don’t like positivity, again I’m not sure what you gain.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    777- troll much? I don’t understand people like you, but I guess you have the right to keep throwing out bait, I just can’t figure out why its worth your time.

I was enjoying the positive aspects of this thread, but you don’t like positivity, again I’m not sure what you gain.

No, I don't troll much. In fact, not at all. Some people just can't handle reality, can they. Specifically state what post I was a trolling or baiting as you put it.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

From Oral Arguments:

You're reading way too deep into this. I assume you also believe that horseman's pistols will be the only handgun deemed protected under the 2A, and that brass knuckles, batons, stun guns and every other weapon outside a rifle will also not get 2A protection as well?
    The conversation wasn't about concealed v open carry, exc. It was about carrying period. Alito also mentioned the subways and law abiding citizens not getting permits to carry concealed. What's the point of saying this if carrying concealed just isn't part of the right?

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    What you fail to understand is that what a particular justice speaks is not authoritative. You need four other justices to concur in order for their written words to be authoritative.

You missed the fact that 4 other justices did concur in Heller...DC v Heller was 5-4 in Heller's favor. Also, what Scalia spoke of, was exactly what he stated in Heller, as he was the author of that decision.

Scalia was simply summarizing what was said in Heller. You are misunderstanding the issue because you are not understanding what the actual text in Heller says. use in society to itself.

I sure do understand what was said and I've quoted Scalia's statement many times. The misunderstanding is on your end.

If we are to accept your argument, then NY cannot allow anyone including itself because it is simply not socially acceptable to carry concealed arms.
    It isn't my argument, it's the argument of a majority of 19th-century courts to decision on the matter of concealed carry. THEY, not me, said it wasn't a right.

It undermines your argument when you say that NY can choose which arms are socially acceptable. NY simply cannot limit those it chooses to use in society to itself. That is the one thing everyone agrees.

Sorry, but never said they could decide what arms...Heller clearly stated that arms that are in common use are protected...Time for a re-read of that case sir.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member