• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    tumblr_mahs45Klf61rpjx8so1_1280.jpg

really though, I just have a cheap ecodrive Citizen and a Timex Expedition.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Of course not, I'm only mildly OCD. :D The Casio's atomic clock feature doesn't work as well as I'd like, I have to do manual time syncs a little more often than I'd like but I really like the watch.

Very strange, mine has never been more than a second off

2012-02-15_14-41-57_974-1.jpg

My other i trade in and out is Luminox
    2011-06-10_08-31-36_837.jpg

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I found more photos. Jeez, I guess I'm more of a WIS than I thought I was!

This Breitling Chrono-Matic was my first "real" watch. It was glorious...right up until you tried to tell the time on a bright day. It was very hard to read and the face is extremely busy. I guess if I was pulling a Lindbergh and flying a small plane somewhere without instruments it would have been invaluable, but I only owned this one for a while. Gorgeous, though.

Chrono-Matic.jpg

This is a watch that a friend of mine in Canada made for me. He was an engineer and wanted to get into watchmaking and repair as a part-time business. This is one of his first creations. It's made from an ETA Unitas movement. Fairly large at 42mm, but the case, face, and hands are "Breguet style." It's a very handsome watch.

Avalon2.jpg

These are my two vintage watches. Each one belonged to one of my grandfathers.

The first is an American-made Hamilton Yorktowne that dates to 1941. Vintage Hamilton's are nice to find and they're relatively easy to keep maintained. I sent this one to my friend and he did some gentle cleaning on the face and managed to find a NOS movement on eBay to replace the seized original. Pretty cool he could find a "new' movement that would have been original to it.

Yorktowne1.jpg

This one is a LeCoultre Memovox. This is a superb watch made in Switzerland by Jaeger LeCoultre. In the 1950's and 60's tariffs were incredibly high so watchmakers would send the finished parts to the US where they would be assembled - thus avoiding the tariffs. As part of the agreement, they had to alter the name so the "Jaeger" part was dropped, but this is indeed a Jaeger LeCoultre. The Memovox had a mechanical buzzing alarm feature. I've had this cleaned and it keeps great time.

Memovox1.jpg

This next one is one I no longer own, and kinda wish I did. It's a really cool watch - the Bell & Ross BR03. It was a bit sterile when I got it, but after I had a strap made for it I really liked it quite a bit even though it was almost too big. This is a watch that got sold when I was hot to get a Rolex.

BellRossMauser.jpg

Somebody mentioned Hamilton watches. They are making some nice stuff right now - all Swiss made. I have one of their Frogman watches. This is an homage to the watches they issued to Navy frogmen during WWII.

Hammy1.jpg

Finally a couple of Marina Militaire watches. These are definitely copies of Panerai watches - which I really like but was never willing to fork out the money to get one. These fit the bill. Got these from eBay. The one on the left is the better of the two as it has a nice Swiss movement in it. the other is a Chinese copy of the Swiss movement and isn't bad. Once I put a couple of decent straps on them I decided that I really liked them a lot. Incidentally, the strap on the watch on the right side was made from a WWII era German ammunition pouch. the cool thing about watch straps is that you can give a watch a whole new look. The German ammo pouch strap is on the other watch (on left in first photo) in the second photo.

MMpair.jpg

Militaire3.jpg

I also have about 6 Casio G-Shocks that I wear as beaters. These two are my favorites.

NewG.jpg

GShock.jpg

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    circle,

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Really liking the LeCoultre. Not that the other ones are bad. ;-) As much as I like the styling and history of Patek, VC, or AP... JLC is it for me for the "classic" piece with the Reverso... especially the Reverso Duo. What a beautiful piece!

image_1270.jpg

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    While looking for my first "real" watch, I had decided that I didn't want anything bigger than 40mm, just no way it would look right. So to get used to wearing one, I found a no name G-Shock knock off I bought on a cruise and have been wearing it for the last 10 days or so. Been feeling pretty good and I decided to finally measure it tonight.

Yup, 50mm.

As if I needed a bigger pool of watches to pick through :(

Galstan

Aug 5, 2008
    4148MD1KirL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I've worn this as my everyday watch for a few years and its my scuba watch (PADI certified since I was 12, probably have close to 500 dives logged). The battery died recently I haven't gotten around to getting it replaced yet because it needs to be in a pressurized container or something to do it (clearly I am not a watch savant). My dad (also a diver) sends his watch to somewhere in Kentucky that does a good job of replacing batteries in dive watches when his dies. I'll have to do it soon.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I've worn this as my everyday watch for a few years and its my scuba watch (PADI certified since I was 12, probably have close to 500 dives logged). The battery died recently I haven't gotten around to getting it replaced yet because it needs to be in a pressurized container or something to do it (clearly I am not a watch savant). My dad (also a diver) sends his watch to somewhere in Kentucky that does a good job of replacing batteries in dive watches when his dies. I'll have to do it soon.

It's the place locally that also does diving and courses. They have a plane from a movie in a large canyon here...I want to say Con Air?? It's submerged.

Galstan

Aug 5, 2008
    It's the place locally that also does diving and courses. They have a plane from a movie in a large canyon here...I want to say Con Air?? It's submerged.

wow, cool! But yeah I need to get it replaced soon. I haven't been wearing it for a couple months now and I miss it.

I got certified in a quarry in PA in April. That was quite cold (even in a full wet suit) but they did have some cool stuff under there. Some old construction equipment, mail truck, ice cream truck, and platforms held at different heights underwater by chains/buoys. I prefer Florida or the Caribbean where I can go in just my swim trunks / T shirt :D

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    wow, cool! But yeah I need to get it replaced soon. I haven't been wearing it for a couple months now and I miss it.

I got certified in a quarry in PA in April. That was quite cold (even in a full wet suit) but they did have some cool stuff under there. Some old construction equipment, mail truck, ice cream truck, and platforms held at different heights underwater by chains/buoys. I prefer Florida or the Caribbean where I can go in just my swim trunks / T shirt :D

Wifey wants me to get my cert...not sure if I will this year or not. Not like we have any place to go...other than KY.

Seems like yet another thing I can say I've got..but would rarely use :P

Since this is a watch thread...here is a Citizen Nighthawk in Stainless. Only watch I found with a usable E6B built in (needed it for flying). Worked well with the shallow depths I swim in (30m or less).

239221d1260660278-citizen-nighthawk-do-you-like-better-bj7000-52e-b.jpg

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Loving the watch thread, keep it going.

I've picked up a several and sold a few in the last 6 months. I like Seiko's-lots of bang for the buck.
    A mix of tough, accurate quartz work watches, a couple Kinetics, and some automatics.

My poor man's collection currently stands at:

Deep Blue BlueTech Master 500 Diver (White/White)
    Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster"
    Seiko SKAA61 "Orange Knight"
    Seiko SKA369 "BFK" Pepsi
    Seiko SKA371 "BFK"
    Seiko SRP043K1 "Spork"
    Victorinox Swiss Army "Maverick GS" 241436
    G-Shock GD-100-1B
    G-Shock GR7900KG-3
    Reactor Gamma Ti
    Luminox 3063.LM Khaki

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Loving the watch thread, keep it going.

I've picked up a several and sold a few in the last 6 months. I like Seiko's-lots of bang for the buck.
    A mix of tough, accurate quartz work watches, a couple Kinetics, and some automatics.

My poor man's collection currently stands at:

Deep Blue BlueTech Master 500 Diver (White/White)
    Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster"
    Seiko SKAA61 "Orange Knight"
    Seiko SKA369 "BFK" Pepsi
    Seiko SKA371 "BFK"
    Seiko SRP043K1 "Spork"
    Victorinox Swiss Army "Maverick GS" 241436
    G-Shock GD-100-1B
    G-Shock GR7900KG-3
    Reactor Gamma Ti
    Luminox 3063.LM Khaki

Pics or it didn't happen!!! No seriously...I would love to see that Reactor.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen!!! No seriously...I would love to see that Reactor.

Here's the Reactor. Super light and comfortable. I prefer the Luminox all tritium to the "ND" system on the Reactors and there is no tritium on the second hand so once the lume wears off you're SOL on the second hand at night.

The Reactor is built to take abuse though. There are some Youtube videos out there where the company shoots them and drops them out of planes.

The Deep Blue is the really interesting one in the collection. No wrist shot but here are a few.

Attachments

• 2012-11-17_20-53-14_102a.jpg
      2012-11-17_20-53-14_102a.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 394
    • Deep-Blue-BlueTech-Master-500-2(1).jpg
      Deep-Blue-BlueTech-Master-500-2(1).jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 367

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    That Reactor looks awesome. The Deep Blue is a really nice one as well. I thought about it after I posted but didn't edit. I will be looking into one of those right now.

EDIT: Thanks. I just looked and Amazon has a few older stock models for $300 or so. The newer models like yours are around $700.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    That Reactor looks awesome. The Deep Blue is a really nice one as well. I thought about it after I posted but didn't edit. I will be looking into one of those right now.

EDIT: Thanks. I just looked and Amazon has a few older stock models for $300 or so. The newer models like yours are around $700.

Both can be had for less on some of the watch boards. Also if you can get access, govx.com has the Reactors (and other stuff) discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom