Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It poured this morning.

6SiAfm.jpg

You're not level! ;)

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I think I took someone's stock pack home, let me know who's it was and I'll get it back to you somehow.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    super awesome fun and nice meeting you all. Wish there was a headcount for people who made deposits and those who did not, so that last spot could have been filled.

Prom night date with smdub, Alderleet, redsandman6, and INMY01TA was a nice bromance. Do not recommend the steaks at the Silk Mill Grille (just avg. but at least it wasnt too pricey). Breakfast at Mineral time to order to time to food delivery is like 3 minutes :O

Note for future groups: Bring a SUV or pickup truck ;)

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    super awesome fun and nice meeting you all. Wish there was a headcount for people who made deposits and those who did not, so that last spot could have been filled.

Prom night date with smdub, Alderleet, redsandman6, and INMY01TA was a nice bromance. Do not recommend the steaks at the Silk Mill Grille (just avg. but at least it wasnt too pricey). Breakfast at Mineral time to order to time to food delivery is like 3 minutes :O

Note for future groups: Bring a SUV or pickup truck ;)

I agree completely
    We should have had someone else fill that last spot. The silk mill was good but not great. Bring a car will work but having an suv or truck would have been better. It was a great weekend but I should have brought my prom tux to fit in at dinner. I felt very under dressed.

You're not level! ;)

Imo the bubble level on the scope made a huge difference.

The only thing I would add was the BBQ exchange had great food and keep an open mind.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Great time. It was nice shooting with fellow MDS members. Where's group photo?

Ed is an encyclopedia of long range shooting and was very helpful in answering all questions.
    His support staff/spotters were also very helpful.

I was running an AR10 with 175 Federal Gold Pills. I have never shot past 300 yards and was very pleased when I was hitting plates at further distances. I had to tap out at 1k yards because of my scope limitations.

Agree with smdub, highly recommend an attached scope level.

Thanks to Pinecone for putting this together and to Ed for offering the class at such a reduced rate for MDS members. :party29:

BTW - I am interested in additional training, if anyone else wants to partner up, please let me know. Thanks

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Great time. It was nice shooting with fellow MDS members. Where's group photo?

Ed is an encyclopedia of long range shooting and was very helpful in answering all questions.
    His support staff/spotters were also very helpful.

I was running an AR10 with 175 Federal Gold Pills. I have never shot past 300 yards and was very pleased when I was hitting plates at further distances. I had to tap out at 1k yards because of my scope limitations.

Agree with smdub, highly recommend an attached scope level.

Thanks to Pinecone for putting this together and to Ed for offering the class at such a reduced rate for MDS members. :party29:

BTW - I am interested in additional training, if anyone else wants to partner up, please let me know. Thanks
    Got me wondering now, what optics are you running?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Got me wondering now, what optics are you running?

I pulled this off the shelf at home from another project - Vortex 6.5-20x44 BDC reticle used with a standard 1" offset AR mount. I liked the scope, but ran out of elevation adjustment at 800 yds and out of elev adj and scope reticle adj at 1k+.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I pulled this off the shelf at home from another project - Vortex 6.5-20x44 BDC reticle used with a standard 1" offset AR mount. I liked the scope, but ran out of elevation adjustment at 800 yds and out of elev adj and scope reticle adj at 1k+.
    Gotcha...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    used with a standard 1" offset AR mount
    A 20MOA mount would have really helped there. I have one on my AR10. The RPRs have 20MOA already built into the top picatinny rail.
    FWIW, Magnetic1's scope for his RPR hadn't arrived yet, so I grabbed the NF scope & mount off my AR10 to loan to him. So he actually had 20+20=40MOA of mount. The NF has a ton of enough elevation adjustment and he could dial down enough to cancel it out and still get a 100yd zero.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I agree you would have been better with a 20moa mount/rail but I still don't think you would have made it to 1200 with that scope.

I used 16.2 mils to get the .308 to 1200 yards. if my math is right its around 55 moa of up adjustment for 1200 yards. I think your scope has 65 moa of adjustment. if its the same one in the this link.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x44-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

which puts the up travel of 32.5 moa. even with 20 extra of moa you would not have enough to dial for 1200 yards with 52.5 of moa.

when shopping for that new scope you were talking about, I would get a 20moa mount to go with it and look at the adjustment range to make sure its around 100moa max elevation adjustment.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    He might of not had enough travel in the dials alone but he had some holdover he used in the reticle too. FWIW, there are 30MOA mounts avail and even 40MOA for things like 338 lapua/50bmg. I know ADM makes their recon in a 30.

Getting a scope that has tons of elevation adjustment can get really pricey. Something like a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP still has only marginally more 19mil/65MOA total elevation as the one he had and its already ~2x the price. But it has 11mil drop etched on the reticle. A 20MOA mount is ~6mil. So those all together would get you to about 26mil total dial/holdover.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Yes you are right. I was implying about dialing elevation without holding over. it can be done with a lower elevation range scope and a larger the reticle. But Imo holding over for elevation and windage at the same time can be a pita.

I know he was looking at the nightforce that alderleet had on his rpr. We both looked through the scope at the end of the second day.

Who had taken the group photo with their phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I am still new to this game. Prefer to keep the vortex scope with my ar10 and maybe invest :) in a RPR with night force scope at later date. But if I dropped the 1" offset mount and added low scope rings i reduced the bore to scope from 3.25 to 2.50 or about 3/4". How much moa would I pick up with this change? For 1200 yds I need 54 moa. Thanks

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    open spots

If anyone cant make a class i am open to buy there spot. life sometimes get in way of things we plan just keep me in mind thanks mark

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thank you guys for coming out! I enjoyed meeting and working with ya'll and putting faces to the names to the handles!!

I'd also like to extend a very hearty 'Thank you!' to Marc357 and BillPrudden for working with me on these events, I couldn't do it without you guys. :bowdown:

BTW, is anyone missing a stainless steel Allen drive setscrew? It is about a #8 x 3/8"+/- and the finish is 'silver'. We flipped open one of the ground cloths and started shooting and found it under a rifle after a few shots. After going over the rifle and bipod hardware, we could not find it missing from anything we had on the line this morning, so it must have come from one of you guys. Let me know and I'll drop it in the mail.
    ...But if I dropped the 1" offset mount and added low scope rings i reduced the bore to scope from 3.25 to 2.50 or about 3/4". How much moa would I pick up with this change? For 1200 yds I need 54 moa. Thanks
    a) By decreasing the scope height over bore, we reduce the convergence angle (amount of elevation necessary to align line of sight with line of bore). Decreasing convergence angle serves to decrease the divergence angle on the other side of your zero range by a corresponding amount. Net result: you will need MORE elevation adjustment, not less.

b) The magnitude of change due to moving the scope up or down 3/4" is approximately 0.6354249 moa at 1,200 yards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom