• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Think I have this sorted out. I want to keep the Clays because everyone raves about how well it works for light loads. I have been wanting to buy a second measure so I don't have to keep switching the Hornady between pistol and rifle.

I found lots of positive comments about how the relatively new Lee Auto-Drum works for small amounts of large flake powder. I also like the idea of buying 4 extra drums that can be preset for around $20.

I love the Lee auto drum measures, I've got several attached to Lee turrets, one for 9mm no one for 223. Never tried the Clays in the auto drum, they hadn't come out with it before I relagated my Clays to 12 gauge loads from my MEC sizemaster.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I get excellent results with all flake powders in my five measures: Redding, old Herter's, Pacific, and home built, and Belding&Mull, not to mention all of my MEC shotshell loaders. Never more than ±.1 grain, which is plenty good enough. (Weigh some pulled charges from out of factory ammo sometime if you want an eye opener regarding this subject.)

My home built pistol powder measure, a takeoff on the old Pacific w/rotary cutoff:

Nice looking job on the home built measure and very helpful info on your drop accuracy. I gained a lot of respect for powder measures when I was making up the .1 grain difference test loads. Just a few flakes of Clays equals .1 grain. I don't have a trickler yet so I picked out a drop that was close to what I wanted and added or subtracted a few flakes. Found that an unused twisty tie worked good for that. Bent a little 90 on the scoop end and squeezed on the sides a bit to make a "V" shape.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I love the Lee auto drum measures, I've got several attached to Lee turrets, one for 9mm no one for 223. Never tried the Clays in the auto drum, they hadn't come out with it before I relagated my Clays to 12 gauge loads from my MEC sizemaster.

It should be here this week. I also ordered an extra drum set which was just shy of $16. I love it when Midway boxes arrive. Christmas in August! :D

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    While different powders behave differently during measuring, I have never run into the static charge holding back powder flakes in the measure. What really matters is the consistency of the vibrations to the measure. I use a Lee Disc measure with pull chain return. I have run charges as low as 2.7 grains of Bullseye for 100's of rounds. Variation was always 0.1 grain deviation, weighed every 10 then every 20 rounds once confidence was built. If I have a pull on the handle which is noticeably different than usual due to a smaller case or bullet, I intentionally bump the bottom handle down again to mimic a closer to norm vibration. I have also noticed the effect of powder quantity in the hopper. I have a min and max taped off on the side of the hopper, I keep the hopper filled between those two points.

Good point, I haven't gone in full progressive mode with powder yet and didn't think about the other operations. I did notice though how vibration from granules being cut can change the accuracy when I was working up some .223 loads with extruded powder. It actually happened frequently and the next drop was often larger.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It should be here this week. I also ordered an extra drum set which was just shy of $16. I love it when Midway boxes arrive. Christmas in August! :D

Setup for dropping 2.1 grains of Titegroup for my 380, every drop I've double checked has been perfect. I'm thinking of buying a few more for my other small capacity loads loaded with the turret.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 74

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Good point, I haven't gone in full progressive mode with powder yet and didn't think about the other operations. I did notice though how vibration from granules being cut can change the accuracy when I was working up some .223 loads with extruded powder. It actually happened frequently and the next drop was often larger.

Ditto that. Loading 223/5.56 with Varget can get 'interesting'. I remember using IMR 4831 for 7mm Rem Mag - that was throw and trickle. Ball and flake powders have been consistent for me just throwing charges.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Setup for dropping 2.1 grains of Titegroup for my 380, every drop I've double checked has been perfect. I'm thinking of buying a few more for my other small capacity loads loaded with the turret.

That's good news. I like those Lyman case checkers, great value for the money. I have a Lee question that maybe you could answer. I want to continue expanding/flaring pistol cases with a separate die. I bought a set of the Lee long/short rifle case extenders along with the order thinking I could use the short one for pistol but the spec. says (IIRC) .860 is the shortest case length. 9mm is shorter than .860 and I didn't see any Lee product I could use in lieu of the powder through expander dies for each caliber.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Ditto that. Loading 223/5.56 with Varget can get 'interesting'. I remember using IMR 4831 for 7mm Rem Mag - that was throw and trickle. Ball and flake powders have been consistent for me just throwing charges.

Yeah, that's why I stick with CFE-223 ball powder in my .223's. I get a little better accuracy (at a little lower velocity) with Varget, but I really like the accuracy of measured charges with the CFE-223 (and the copper fouling erasing isn't bad either).

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I can't get it to work in my 550b. I'll probably use some Lee dippers and use up the only pound I have.

Really? I use it for 45 acp and 38 spl in my 650XL. I test every 100 rounds as I add primers. The powder always stags where I set it with no variations. No even 0.1 on my RCBS Scale.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    That's good news. I like those Lyman case checkers, great value for the money. I have a Lee question that maybe you could answer. I want to continue expanding/flaring pistol cases with a separate die. I bought a set of the Lee long/short rifle case extenders along with the order thinking I could use the short one for pistol but the spec. says (IIRC) .860 is the shortest case length. 9mm is shorter than .860 and I didn't see any Lee product I could use in lieu of the powder through expander dies for each caliber.

I'm not quite following you on pistol case expanding in a separate die. The only thing I can think of using as a separate die would be this:
    http://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html
    I've never used one.
    If you're worried about the alignment of the auto drum setup with hitting other dies, I just use this swivel on mine so it makes it easy adjust my seat and crimp dies as needed.
    http://leeprecision.com/swivel-adapter.html

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, my method posted was for my Lyman 55 measure. I loaded a LOT of .45 with Bullseye and Unique with virtually no variation in the amount dropped.

With my Dillon, I normally use ball powder, mainly WW231 for pistol, with some HS6. And H335 for 5.56.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'm not quite following you on pistol case expanding in a separate die. The only thing I can think of using as a separate die would be this:
    http://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html
    I've never used one.
    If you're worried about the alignment of the auto drum setup with hitting other dies, I just use this swivel on mine so it makes it easy adjust my seat and crimp dies as needed.
    http://leeprecision.com/swivel-adapter.html

The pistol die sets I have bought so far have a separate die for expanding and I bought them this way on purpose to not use the powder through expander on the Hornady powder measure. Will I be able to do this with the Lee measure without buying Lee powder through expander dies for each caliber?

OOPS...I thought the swivel was already included with the Lee Auto-Drum powder measure.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The pistol die sets I have bought so far have a separate die for expanding and I bought them this way on purpose to not use the powder through expander on the Hornady powder measure. Will I be able to do this with the Lee measure without buying Lee powder through expander dies?

OOPS...I thought the swivel was already included with the Lee Auto-Drum powder measure.

I think it is with the auto drum. I had a brain fart and was thinking about what I had done with my auto disc measures.:o

I'm not sure about the die deal you've got going on for the auto drum. Can you post a picture of your die(s)?

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I think it is with the auto drum. I had a brain fart and was thinking about what I had done with my auto disc measures.:o

I'm not sure about the die deal you've got going on for the auto drum. Can you post a picture of your die(s)?

I'm at work right now. Maybe a better way to ask this question would be, how do I attach the Lee Auto-Drum to my press? I don't have any Lee die sets although I did buy the Lee riser and long/short rifle cartridge extender set. Both are accessories for the Lee Auto-drum and I thought I could use the short rifle extender to attach the Lee powder measure to my press and use it this way for pistol cases.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm at work right now. Maybe a better way to ask this question would be, how do I attach the Lee Auto-Drum to my press? I don't have any Lee die sets although I did buy the Lee riser and long/short rifle cartridge extender set. Both are accessories for the Lee Auto-drum and I thought I could use the short rifle extender to attach the Lee powder measure to my press for pistol cases.

Doubtful you will be able to attach them to your dies unless they are threaded in the top with the correct threads. The auto drum and/or the extensions you've got won't screw directly into the press if that's what you're after.
    I'm envisioning you doing this on a single stage press, hence the separate die for case expanding and you're doing each step as a batch.
    I've got jellyitis of the brain today for some reason.:o

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Doubtful you will be able to attach them to your dies unless they are threaded in the top with the correct threads. The auto drum and/or the extensions you've got won't screw directly into the press if that's what you're after.
    I'm envisioning you doing this on a single stage press, hence the separate die for case expanding and you're doing each step as a batch.
    I've got jellyitis of the brain today for some reason.:o

Darn....I wanted to attach it directly on one of the progressive stations. My expander dies won't accept anything on top. Let me ask this question if I may. How do you attach any model Lee powder measure to the press when doing rifle cases?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Darn....I wanted to attach it directly on one of the progressive stations. My expander dies won't accept anything on top. Let me ask this question if I may. How do you attach the Lee powder measure to the press when doing rifle cases?

It would need to be mounted to the top of a rifle charging die.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    On the left is what would be the threads from the auto drum, the right is a rifle charging die that would screw into the press the way it is. Definitely a big difference in the diameter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      27.9 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom