• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Free IHMSA membership opportunity courtesy of Zzzzz_man here ...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=205174

Thanks! I forgot to cross-post that here! :thumbsup:

That's right! Because I'm an idiot for not checking on IHMSA sooner and because I loved it so much during the 1980s and because I think it's the best handgun competition there is, I'm offering-up as Karma a free, 2017 IHMSA membership ($35 value) to one lucky MDS member.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks! I forgot to cross-post that here! :thumbsup:

That's right! Because I'm an idiot for not checking on IHMSA sooner and because I loved it so much during the 1980s and because I think it's the best handgun competition there is, I'm offering-up as Karma a free, 2017 IHMSA membership ($35 value) to one lucky MDS member.

Very generous of you, and see your appreciation for this sport.

I'll pass on this karma, so others may try/show interest; I'm hoping to work out a few days later this year to attend one of the events. If so, will definitely let you know! :thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Very generous of you, and see your appreciation for this sport.

I'll pass on this karma, so others may try/show interest; I'm hoping to work out a few days later this year to attend one of the events. If so, will definitely let you know! :thumbsup:

Anything I can do to encourage interest in IHMSA and get others to join in the fun is totally worth it!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Berwyn, St Charles , and Stoney Creek used to host IHSMA matches. AGC physically has the capability of hosting IHSMA, and I thought I heard there was a silhouette oriented Club, but unknown how active they are.

Back when I was, BRGC used to host the State Championships. But IHMSA requires 200yd facility, and you know the rest of that sentence.

Back in my day IHMSA classes were :

Production
    Revolver
    Standing ( any otherwise legal gun)
    Unlimited ( still limits, but more & bigger than Production)

Back in the day (early to mid '80s) I was an IHMSA member.

SCSC, Berwyn and AGC is where we used to shoot.

Even made the trip to northern Kentucky and shot.

The darndest thing I've ever seen anyone shoot, was a T/C Contender in .30-40 Krag!!!

What a KICKER!!!!!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Back in the day (early to mid '80s) I was an IHMSA member.

SCSC, Berwyn and AGC is where we used to shoot.

Even made the trip to northern Kentucky and shot.

The darndest thing I've ever seen anyone shoot, was a T/C Contender in .30-40 Krag!!!

What a KICKER!!!!!

I swear, the barrels you could get for a Contender staggered the imagination. Biggest kicker for me was .308 in a XP-100. Talk about a wrist wrencher!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For Field Pistol (out to 100 meters), would work just fine. May be a tad light for Big Bore targets (out to 200 meters).

Mike

We may also consider combining the two weekends into just one, and offer Big Bore,Small Bore, and Field Pistol in the same day.

April 9th will be here before ya know it.

Mike

Do you see long slide 10mm handgun users at your events? Would imagine that they could do anything that the 357 Magnum users are entered in.

Great idea, Mike! I'd like to do big bore revolver and field pistol the same day and I know a few other folks would too.

The FK BRNO (if available, ignoring the purchase price) might be fun at one of these things.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Do you see long slide 10mm handgun users at your events? Would imagine that they could do anything that the 357 Magnum users are entered in.

The FK BRNO (if available, ignoring the purchase price) might be fun at one of these things.

That looks great! I don't want to know what it and the ammo costs! :D

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    FK BRNO

Whoa!

Game changer. :D

Had to happen. Sooner or later someone was bound to come up with a .30 caliber pistol cartridge that, ballistically, out-performed .44 Magnum at 100 yards and beyond. I'm just surprised it took them this long.

I'm interested to see pricing and availability...and I'm not. :D

Rodent

Jan 17, 2017

Have not seen any yet, but I think that it would make for a great Field Pistol gun.

Mike

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I swear, the barrels you could get for a Contender staggered the imagination. Biggest kicker for me was .308 in a XP-100. Talk about a wrist wrencher!

I used to have a 7mm Int'l Rimmed (.30-30 necked down to 7mm) for IHMSA.
    Supposedly, Elgin Gates designed/created this before the 7-30 Waters.

.375 Winchester brass could also be used. (I've used both.)

It was rather potent, but, no more of a "Ram buster" than 7mm TC/u with a 160 grain boolit.

One of the guys at SCSC just "had to have" that 7mm Int'l R barrel, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    GONE!! (And I don't miss it.)

The .30 Herrett and .357 Herrett were popular for a while, too.

I remember reading that somebody wanted to use the .444 Marlin for IHMSA, and when he loaded it up and fired it, the 3rd round fired shattered the guy's wrist!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There used to be a single shot pistol with a rotating artillary type breach. It was sold under several brand names. I fired one of those in .308 offhand . I have a .45/70 Contender bbl.

A .444 in a Contender wouldn't be particularly noteworthy ( compared to other robust Contender cals). The issue was the pressure of SAAMI loads. Hence J.D. Jones' ' wildcat" of the .430 JDJ. It was the .444 trimmed just enough that factory .444 ammo wouldn't fit a .430 chamber. ( The idea was to load to 5k or so less pressure, but with a heavier cast bullet.

But somewhat back to topic :

Yes, reliably knocking over streel Rams at 200yds with so-so body hits requires a certain amount of horsepower ( meaning primarily Momentum). But more did not indefinitely better for Silhouettes. With a minimum of 40 match rounds, recoil is a factor. You have to be as smooth and steady on the trigger for the 40th, or 60th, or 80th shot as on the first. Notwithstanding the people who shot silhouettes with actual hunting pistols on purpose ( similar concept as doing IDPA with actual carry/ duty gun) , the "dream ctg " was least recoil and flattest trajectory, while having 105% of horsepower to knock over Rams. Like Bfy43's 7TCU.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    There used to be a single shot pistol with a rotating artillary type breach. It was sold under several brand names. I fired one of those in .308 offhand . I have a .45/70 Contender bbl.

A .444 in a Contender wouldn't be particularly noteworthy ( compared to other robust Contender cals). The issue was the pressure of SAAMI loads. Hence J.D. Jones' ' wildcat" of the .430 JDJ. It was the .444 trimmed just enough that factory .444 ammo wouldn't fit a .430 chamber. ( The idea was to load to 5k or so less pressure, but with a heavier cast bullet.

But somewhat back to topic :

Yes, reliably knocking over streel Rams at 200yds with so-so body hits requires a certain amount of horsepower ( meaning primarily Momentum). But more did not indefinitely better for Silhouettes. With a minimum of 40 match rounds, recoil is a factor. You have to be as smooth and steady on the trigger for the 40th, or 60th, or 80th shot as on the first. Notwithstanding the people who shot silhouettes with actual hunting pistols on purpose ( similar concept as doing IDPA with actual carry/ duty gun) , the "dream ctg " was least recoil and flattest trajectory, while having 105% of horsepower to knock over Rams. Like Bfy43's 7TCU.

That's exactly right. Fatigue is definitely a competition factor. I'm not particularly fond of shooting on my back. I prefer standing and/or sitting position for big bore revolver and one of the ways I start preparing is by holding it with my arms fully extended for as long as I can. I'll repeat that exercise several times per day with anything that approximates the weight of the gun. Hopefully, I'm ready for Field Pistol and Big Bore Revolver matches the same day.

Rodent

Jan 17, 2017
    I currently use a Savage Striker chambered in 308 for Big Bore and an XP100 chambered in 6BR for Half Scale.

MIke

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I would love to see a few of us on MDS plan to head over to Piedmont in April for their first match of the year - April 7th. If you enjoy large bore handguns, you owe it to yourself to give IHMSA a try!

2 reasons I will not be joining you:

#1-The guns I would use for this are in a safe in North Carolina

#2-I have been re-bitten by the clay bug BAD.

I will however enjoy reading posts about your (and anyone else's) IHMSA adventures.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    2 reasons I will not be joining you:

#1-The guns I would use for this are in a safe in North Carolina

#2-I have been re-bitten by the clay bug BAD.

I will however enjoy reading posts about your (and anyone else's) IHMSA adventures.

#1 - I'd be more than glad to let you shoot a match with any of my guns. One of the more exciting things to happen in IHMSA since the last time I was a member was the addition of the 'Field Pistol' class. Bring a 1911, bring a 9mm - you don't need any special gear other than eye and hearing protection. I can't wait to try it! I've got a few CZ's and a Steyr L9A1 I'm going to use for Field Pistol. I might even bring my Walther P38?

#2 - Now, that I do understand completely. Clay is every bit as addictive as Steel.

IMHSA is very active from April-October and if there's a weekend where you don't have anything going on and feel like making the jaunt down to Piedmont you would be more than welcome!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm still thinking AR pistol in 6.8. Now I have more of an impetus to get this barrel cut.

Congrats again on the Karma win!

A recent search of my designated storage closet has yielded only my RCBS carbide dies in .44 and .41 and a half box of Sierra 210gr FMJ. No sign of either my Lyman press, powder scale or the spiral notebooks with all my load data. Now I have an excuse to replace them if needed.

The search continues...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Just received my new IHMSA membership card in the mail! :thumbsup:

Thanks again to Mike at Piedmont Sportsman's Club and IHSMA Sec/Treas Ray Utter for their warm receptions. It's great to be a part of the IHMSA family again. It has been way too long...

Just in case any of you who also recently re-joined were confused about receiving a 2016 Membership Card, like I was, IHMSA's calendar year goes from March to March. Those of us who re-joined this month will be receiving new membership cards for the 2017 Calendar Year in March, according to Ray. If you don't receive your new card, contact Ray directly via http://www.ihmsa.org/index.html

April is going to be here before we know it and now is the time to start getting ready!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom