• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The 10A is what will allow National Reciprocity while allowing individual states to retain their own CCW laws for their own residents, like MD will try to do.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The 10A is what will allow National Reciprocity while allowing individual states to retain their own CCW laws for their own residents, like MD will try to do.

Well its clear that MD residents are the fomenters of gun violence in MD not out of state interlopers ... all should be good.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    One of our biggest allies will be out of staters carrying here with no blood in streets.

But it probably won't deter the statists here in the free state

:sarcasm:

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Well its clear that MD residents are the fomenters of gun violence in MD not out of state interlopers ... all should be good.

I think it's the opposite: all our violence is from outsiders and we Maryland residents should all receive automatic concealed carry permits to protect ourselves from the violent hordes. ;)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Utah has a provision that if you state has reciprocity you can't get a Utah without having a local permit. Utah out of state permits will be useless 5 seconds after the Federal law goes into effect.

Thanks
    Robert

Only if the state recognised the permit. For an MD resident you would still be able to get a permit. Only if it was recognised by MD would it be an issue.

As long as federal gun free school zones exist there will be a need for an out of state permit..

That said this bill is bad for us.. it will protect the rest of America from MD. That's all.

After that I expect we will be written off.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Nope. The 10A would prohibit it.

IANAL or Brooklyn

If that were true then SCOTUS is also impotent.

A finding by Congress that carry is protected by 2a ,allong with implementing legislation , would reverse the burden of proof...Which is where it should have been all along,and force the court to rule , explicitly that it's not protected..

That's much less likely than death by a thousand cuts.

If SCOTUS is mostly risk averse.. This will play into our hands..

But sooner or later we must force the issue.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the UT permit becomes invalid because of the legislation, there are 8 other states that will issue a NR permit without a home state permit.

So that should not be a prohibiting factor for getting recognition in the other states.

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    Not a popular view but not wrong either:

Even if this bill is signed into law, you will still have to have a carry permit issued by your state of residence. A non-resident permit from another state will not grant reciprocity to a person residing in Maryland who happens to have a non-resident carry permit from some other state.

While it won't immediately help those in Maryland who do not have a Maryland carry permit, it won't do any harm and might even put some pressure on the Maryland General Assembly to reform the current statutes.

Sorry that this is not a popular view on this thread.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even if this bill is signed into law, you will still have to have a carry permit issued by your state of residence. A non-resident permit from another state will not grant reciprocity to a person residing in Maryland who happens to have a non-resident carry permit from some other state.

While it won't immediately help those in Maryland who do not have a Maryland carry permit, it won't do any harm and might even put some pressure on the Maryland General Assembly to reform the current statutes.

Sorry that this is not a popular view on this thread.

Um, no. it's not popular because it's not true. the language that did not apply the law to your home state was dropped. As currently written the law says a permit FROM A STATE. No exception for your state of residence and no prohibition on non resident permits.

Attachments

• underlined.jpg
      underlined.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 182

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    From an email I received from a colleague (with the quote marks below):

"I read the proposed legislation and was confused more so I called Richard Hudson's office in Concord, NC.

I spoke with his assistant "Tucker", who told me that you would have to have a valid permit to carry in your state of residence, so having a VA or Utah permit would NOT qualify you to carry under the current proposed bill.

There are no plans at this time to change the wording of HR 38.

It is confusing, but that was straight from his office.

704-786-1612 (you can not email him unless you are a resident of NC)
    "

Maybe my colleague got it wrong but it does pretty much match what the NRA posted on their website.

line 16: "...of a state" the language does not say "of ANY state"
    line 18:"...in which the person resides" with "resides" being the operative term and that is what is being overlooked and/or ignored

Why not ask Brian Frosh for an opinion?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, as it's currently written, it doesn't say that. The original sentence requiring a permit in your home state was dropped. I posted the warding of the bill.

Please show me wher a home state permit is required. It plainly does not say that, regardless of what someone in the office states. The wording iI posted is on the US Gov web site.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    you for got to look at the word OR. It does not say AND. Huge difference. The or portion was to allow carry in permitless caryy states.

A state does not necessarily prohibit the meaning any state.And itt doesn't say issued by your state of residence.

Maybe the NRA was reading the old bill. The one posted on Jan 3, has no such wording about residence other than the portion referring to residents of a state that simply allows permitless carry.

Perhaps the staffer needs to reread it. The portion about being able to carry except your state of residence IS NOT THERE.

the new bill attached

Attachments

• or highlighted.JPG
      or highlighted.JPG
      84 KB · Views: 155
    • Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017.pdf
      42.8 KB · Views: 116

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    entitled refers to carry in states that don't requite a permit. It is after the word OR. It is separate from the first part.

look, interpret any way you like, but the requirent for a home state permit simply isn't there any longer.

nothing I can add here.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i understand that but the entire portion after OR refers to entitled to carry in their state of resident, aka permitless carry.

As I said, interpret as you like.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I have to say, I don't support the way this bill is written. Either make the entire country permitless or make everyone get a permit. But there's a lot of moderates who are going to have a hard time being convinced that if you live in Florida, you should need to get a permit to take advantage of national reciprocity, but that if you live in Arizona, you shouldn't. Personally, I would make it so that to take advantage of reciprocity, you need to have a permit from a state that requires 8 hours in training. That would make it so that the liberals couldn't use the "untrained people carrying guns around" argument. I understand the position of the absolutists, but at this point, we need to win over moderates too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom